Double Booster / Triple Booster stabilizer - do they draw voltage from neighbours?

Electricity has the same identity of fluid flowing through pipes. We generally get very poor voltage as our house located near dead end of the electric pole. I get as low as 110V. If some home is consuming excess power ahead of my home, then the line will have a potential drop aka as low voltage. This is more noticible in the dead end of the pole, we get flickering of the lights for a moment, if the house before my home turns on the A/C. We just get enough power to run the A/C just similar of using hand pump to pump the water which is left in the pipe. When I run the A/C the house in front never sees such flickering unless it has a badass voltage drop 100~130V. You are not overusing the quota. The transformer capacity already reached when the potential drop drops to 200V. The problem is if the powerline has 50 houses and each house sanctioned 3Kva power then the transformer atleast have 200Kva capacity to cope up new houses in the future. If the transformer is only 50Kva just think how much it will be loaded. No house will use 3000Watts of power at any given time. It is the night where we use A/C's which consumes 1500Watts or 1.5Kva (considering PF=1) , Ultimately we get low voltage. Now I have used excess triple booster for the entire home stabilizer

Yes the electricity bill will be the same as it is measured in watts per hour and not voltage..

You lose the initial amount spent on the stabilizer and the few excess watts of electricity used by the stabilizer..

Where r u in chennai... M near tambaram n d voltage drops to 160 @ 9-10 pm, tge time where all ACs go on...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using TechEnclave Forum mobile app

I stay in Perungudi but soon moving to Thoraipakkam (buying a flat there, almost in final stage). In Perungudi, it's not as horrible as many people have reported, but voltage definitely goes down by about 7 PM or so and picks up only way beyond midnight. I have never measured the input voltage though. I am going to buy a Sharp Inverter 1.1T AC soon (for my new flat) based on Rishiguru's reviews on other posts and hence this query.[DOUBLEPOST=1369982799][/DOUBLEPOST]On a related note, this thought just occurred to me... what if we buy a US compatible 110V device (AC or any other device) and use it with a step down transformer / stabilizer to step it down from whatever to 110V?

Yes, it could end up lowering the voltage due to the load, but that's possible only if the supply to the house is weak. And, it never happens with just one device. Transmission line theory :p

As for consuming voltage, its not like water where by putting a booster, you suck up the water from the rest.

As for load, generally its 5KW. At least for us, here in Mumbai.

As for those who were arguing about KVA and KW, they are more or less the same, with the VA rating being the power that can be delivered. Depending upon the AC-DC device, it gives KW, so thats the output power. And by comparing, we can see how efficient the device is.

Hasn't anyone thought along these lines? Since we are saying 100V is extreme low voltage where AC will not work (sometimes even with triple booster stabilizer), why not get a device that actually works on 110V (US devices) so the issue of "low voltage" is no longer an issue? Yes the 50 Hz / 60 Hz issue there, but how big is it? No converters out there? Is this thinking even valid?

^ Is the supply at 100V all day? What happens when the supply is at 220V - probably burn the equipment?

The step-down converters usually have a fixed 2:1 winding ratio. So 220V will get converted to 110V. If supply is only 180V, then output will also go down to 90V.

Low voltage problem arises because the grid is not able to supply the demand. Using double/triple boost stabilisers to run high power equipment makes the problem worse for everyone else. Everyone wants to live in a insulated bubble I guess.

Back