Downloading with modem?

Today i've noticed that there is a USB port on my Modem. Does any one know anything about my modem(Pics included) . Can it be used to download ? . If not any use of that USB port?
IMG_20120701_094441.jpg

IMG_20120701_094425.jpg

Cant really comment on the modem for downloading purpose as for that, you have to search for custom firmware which this particular modem support. I dont think that BSNL modem will support any custom firmware like DD-WRT or Tomato. I used to have a MTNL modem and it was a Huawei rebranded modem. So, i think this one might be a Huawei(just guessing as it looks similar to the MTNL one). And afaik, it doesnt support dd-wrt or any custom firmware.

But you can use the USB port on the modem for NAS server. Attach any USB storage device with the modem and access its content over wifi/lan. Transfer rates will be slow at around 2-3 MB/s only but enough for live streaming over wifi.
If the modem support Print Server, then you can also connect a printer to its USB port.

From the looks of it, all you can probably use that USB port for is to connect it to the PC and surf in case your PC doesn't have an ethernet port. Similar to some modems like the D-Link DSL-502T which comes with a single ethernet port and a USB port. Not totally sure in your case because this thing has four ethernet ports, but that's what I suspect it is. I've never heard of BSNL or any other ISP in India giving out high-end devices with functionality like NAS, print servers, etc. If you post the model number, it'd be easier to figure it out. Can't really make it out in the first pic since it's a bit blurry.

Back