DSL Modem Router for 10k?

@blr_p

Dude, you're awesome. Thanks for all the help.

I borrowed a router and tested it like you said. I placed the second router (access point - JWNR2000) near the door. Connected it to my Dlink through a LAN cable. I was able to get between 50-65 dBm. Tried streaming a couple of videos and they played smoothly on the TV. Looks like this is the way to go.

Thanks again to everybody who posted here. Much appreciated.

Final question, more of a poll actually. Should i still get the DSL-N55U modem router now or is there anything that is coming in the near future that might make more sense?

Last edited by a moderator:
Why don't you just move the d-link to the door and tell us what signal you get.

If you get the similar signal levels then you might not need to spend anything.

Technically, you were cheating, the router needs to be placed above the door where it has to traverse a wall. Putting it at an open door removes the wall. This is why you got 50-60dBm instead of 60-70dBm.

@blr_p

Yeah, got busy with some other work. Will post back here once i decide to do something.

Thanks again for all the help.

@blr_p

Got a good deal on an Asus RT-N66U router and picked it up. Problem solved. Get more than 60% signal near my TV and console which should be more than enough.

Thanks again for all your help.

Got a good deal on an Asus RT-N66U router and picked it up. Problem solved. Get more than 60% signal near my TV and console which should be more than enough.
So what reading do you get in dBm near the TV ?

This is assuming the N66U is placed where you wanted it at the far end of your bedroom or a distance of 50-55 feet away.

Also i'd like you to conduct a file transfer test using your best laptop, pick a file say 100MB-1GB and tell us what the transfer rate is with the laptop placed where your TV & PS3 is.

Whoops!

Had totally forgotten to post back here.

Here goes:

Reading in dbm near the TV: between 55 and 60

Yes, i have not changed the placement of my router. The modem is now banished under the table.

A 400MB file takes around 90 seconds to copy. Streaming still stutters a bit. Maybe because of the PS3's relatively slow (G) networking speed.

Reading in dbm near the TV: between 55 and 60

Yes, i have not changed the placement of my router. The modem is now banished under the table.
That's a very good signal reading on your android phone and am amazed you get a signal that strong across two 11 inch walls at 50 feet away (!)

A 400MB file takes around 90 seconds to copy. Streaming still stutters a bit. Maybe because of the PS3's relatively slow (G) networking speed.
Your file copy indicates a ~35Mbs transfer speed so that's the N300 in your laptop working. You will get half that with your mobile & PS3. An additional bridge would sort the PS3 out.

Am still wondering about that series 8, how does it manage.

That's a very good signal reading on your android phone and am amazed you get a signal that strong across two 11 inch walls at 50 feet away (!)

Your file copy indicates a ~35Mbs transfer speed so that's the N300 in your laptop working. You will get half that with your mobile & PS3. An additional bridge would sort the PS3 out.

Am still wondering about that series 8, how does it manage.

Ok, checked the signal again now on my HTC One X. I'm getting between 65-70dbm on my phone. I had used the Galaxy S4 earlier to measure it. Maybe that has a more powerful wireless chip?

The Series 8 shows 3 out of 4 bars. It doesn't have a dbm meter AFAIK. Tried streaming a few things but can observe some stuttering.

Will something like the Tversity Media Server help?

Ok, checked the signal again now on my HTC One X. I'm getting between 65-70dbm on my phone. I had used the Galaxy S4 earlier to measure it. Maybe that has a more powerful wireless chip?
Interesting to notice the difference.

Samsung S4 : 55-60 dBm
HTC One X : 65-70 dBm

There is one problem here however, this dBm thingy means different things for different devices.

A file transfer is more unambigious. Btw what mechanism/program did you use to transfer files in your previous test ?

The Series 8 shows 3 out of 4 bars. It doesn't have a dbm meter AFAIK. Tried streaming a few things but can observe some stuttering.

Will something like the Tversity Media Server help?
How are you streaming currently ? How does the TV 'see' what you are serving.

@blr_p

Have added folders i want to see on my TV to Windows Media Player. DLNA would be the short answer i'm guessing...

Then tversity will also do the same thing. Personally i use Llink, no need for WMP, its quick & easy.

How is the web browsing on the TV, does it handle javascript properly ?

rxQaSxX.png

How far is A in feet ?

See the little rectangle in the top right of your bedroom, could you place the router on a shelf up there.

Sorry for bumping an old thread. There is some carpentry work going on at home and i'm thinking of getting the shelf done like you've marked in the image above. My question now is what should i do for internet on the desktop? Should i buy a PCI Wifi Card, a USB wireless adapter or connect it via a LAN cable?

Would prefer getting a USB wireless adapter. Thinking of getting one of these:

http://www.flipkart.com/tp-link-tl-...E3JZ&ref=5abc8407-0c81-4640-92b2-f10eb67faeff
http://www.flipkart.com/asus-usb-n1...RYWF&ref=5abc8407-0c81-4640-92b2-f10eb67faeff
http://www.flipkart.com/tp-link-tl-...DFRT&ref=5abc8407-0c81-4640-92b2-f10eb67faeff

Which one would you recommend?

Sorry for bumping an old thread. There is some carpentry work going on at home and i'm thinking of getting the shelf done like you've marked in the image above. My question now is what should i do for internet on the desktop? Should i buy a PCI Wifi Card, a USB wireless adapter or connect it via a LAN cable?
There will be a lan cable from your modem to the N66 sitting on the new shelf.

isp--->adsl modem--->hub<---n66, desktop etc

Get a 4 or more ports 100 mbit/gigabit hub or switch. If you don't have additional wired devices to network besides the desktop in the room then a 100mbit will do.

You don't want a wireless adapter because you want to stream photos and movies to your devices in the hall. If you use wireless between your desktop where the media resides and the n66, you will halve the available wi-fi bandwidth for streaming to devices in the hall because wifi is half duplex. One talks, other listens and so on.

Before you go ahead with this, try and do a test and see whether positioning the n66 closer to the hall makes a difference. You can convert any spare router into a dumb hub by using its ethernet ports. modem-->hub<--n66

Place the n66 near the door but make sure it signal has to get through your bedroom wall.

There will be a lan cable from your modem to the N66 sitting on the new shelf.

isp--->adsl modem--->hub<---n66, desktop etc

Get a 4 or more ports 100 mbit/gigabit hub or switch. If you don't have additional wired devices to network besides the desktop in the room then a 100mbit will do.

You don't want a wireless adapter because you want to stream photos and movies to your devices in the hall. If you use wireless between your desktop where the media resides and the n66, you will halve the available wi-fi bandwidth for streaming to devices in the hall because wifi is half duplex. One talks, other listens and so on.

Before you go ahead with this, try and do a test and see whether positioning the n66 closer to the hall makes a difference. You can convert any spare router into a dumb hub by using its ethernet ports. modem-->hub<--n66

Place the n66 near the door but make sure it signal has to get through your bedroom wall.

Thanks for the suggestions. Is a hub required though?

ISP -> DSL modem -> RT-N66U -> Cat 6 LAN cable -> Desktop gigabit port

The modem and the RT-N66U would remain on the shelf and i'd use a LAN cable to connect my desktop. Wouldn't that work?

Better still. Sure. In that case no need for a hub. I figured only the router would be on the shelf.

Presumably the reason for this move is to get better throughput. How will you measure that ?

Better still. Sure. In that case no need for a hub. I figured only the router would be on the shelf.

Presumably the reason for this move is to get better throughput. How will you measure that ?

Will probably take a while before all the carpentry work etc is complete and i'll be able to connect my computer again. Will post back here once i'm done.

@blr_p thanks again man.

@blr_p

Quick update. I still wasn't very happy with the internet speed on my PS3 and TV. The signal was varying between 20% and 50%. Youtube wouldn't stream and everything was laggy.

Bought a WL-ANT191 hoping it would solve the problem. Didn't help.

Finally invested in a the cheapest powerline adapters i could find. Picked these up from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA...=1383819755&sr=8-2&keywords=tp-link+powerline

I'm officially a fan of Powerline. Solved all my problems. Plugged in one of the adapters in my bedroom and connected it to my router. Connected the other adapter in the dining room and moved the Asus router there and connected the adapter to it. My signal strength is now rock solid at around 75%. Youtube streams perfectly.

Still haven't been able to figure out why DLNA doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Here's my setup --> PC -> Dlink Modem -> powerline -> powerline -> Router -> TV

The PC is connected to the Dlink modem via a LAN cable.

Yup, i went out and bought the most "powerful" wifi router i could find hoping it would sort my wifi issues out. It didn't. Powerline seems to be the way to go if you have too many walls to go through...

Just a couple of pointers:
  • Make sure the two adapters are on the same electrical line loop.
  • Don't connect the adapters to a surge protector. A multipin plug works fine but a surge protector would reduce your output to less than 1%.
The adapters i've linked in my previous post ended up costing me 2.7k including shipping and customs via Amazon. It reached me in a week.

Back