Windows Dual boot win10

Arjun

Skilled
I have to install some office software for work from home. I don't want the software to be installed on my current windows install. I have a spare 160 gb hard disk so thinking of dual boot win 10 setup. Is this possible?

My system has on 6gb ram as i sold my 2 x 8gb kit becuase i am upgrading to new platform. VM on 6gb ram will be slow.

I have to install some office software for work from home. I don't want the software to be installed on my current windows install. I have a spare 160 gb hard disk so thinking of dual boot win 10 setup. Is this possible?
If you think dual booting will cause less hassle than installing the software on your current windows install and uninstalling later then you're very wrong.
I strongly advise to just install and uninstall the software later unless your intention is to keep the other installed OS for future use then you can lookup on google how to do that and even on youtube there are countless tutorials.

Since you want dual boot where the second boot only runs your software then you can very well run a 8gb VM, called memory overcommit, in your existing system.

Just install virtualbox and initiate create a VM, just to see how much memory setting it allows, I think it should allow to create more than 6gb.

Worth trying.

What issues can dual boot cause, VM is unusable with 6gb
Nothing just that it will consume another dedicated hard drive etc. And in future if anything goes for a toss then its a pain to rebuild mbr etc. aka come out of the situation where neither of the OS boots.
I have done quad boots etc on xp/7/8/10 and linux so its a pains if either of the mbrs go kaput.

In case if you want persistent data then I'll recommend VMware player.

If you don't need any persistent data then use sandbox feature of windows. It creates throwaway VMs almost instantly and they don't slowdown your system. With windows 11, you can have data persisted in sandboxes too.

Back