Budget 15-20K Dual Sim with adequate Internal Memory EDIT: Bought Samsung Galaxy Mega 5.8

terence_fdes

wizened Dinosaur
Skilled
Hi,

I need a Dual sim phone. Will be going to Malaysia for a couple of months (for work if all goes well). Will be keeping my Vodafone sim too. Now should I get this phone in Malaysia or India ?

My existing HTC Wildfire S is not going to serve my purpose [internal mem is the worst - I am constantly battling to clear up & keep 5MB free at all times :mad:]. Cannot shift/move a variety of apps even with AppMgr III.

1. Budget?
A: 10-20K (lesser the better ;))
2. Preferred Form Factor(flip, bar, slider)?
A: Bar
3. Preferred display type?
A: Should be clear as hell in daylight (outdoors) :wacky: . My existing phone (htc wildfire) is crap.
4. Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them.
A: Want to buy only Samsung (never tried it)
5. Preferred input method (Touchscreen, QWERTY, etc.)?
A: Touchscreen
6. Camera required or not? If required, please specify type like front camera/flash/etc.
A: Need front cam too + Full HD recording.
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
A: Android
8. Preferred connectivity options? (3G, Wifi, Edge etc).
A: All (including 4G - if possible)
9. What is your intended use for this phone(internet, camera, multimedia, mails, etc)?
A: Skype; Whatsap; G.Talk; 3G/4G Data usage; Click photos (since I am not going to carry my Nikon D5000 with me); mails
10. Any other requirements?
A: DUAL SIM IS A MUST. Maximum internal storage (at least 8GB of which usable would be 4GB -I guess). Would love if the Camera is great quality too (reason listed above). Expandable memory - prefer 64GB.
11. If you have already considered a phone then please mention the model.
I have used Nokia; Sony; Nokia & HTC phones in the past but never a Samsung
Samsung
Galaxy Grand Duos - my pick [is this a good model ?] ~ 18720 at FK along with a Flip-cover offer [8MP & Full HD]
Galaxy Grande Quatro - Quad core ~ 17080 at FK
Galaxy Core ~ (new model) ~ 15350 at FK
Galaxy Mega 5.8 ~ (new model) ~ 24620 at FK
a comparision of all the above is here

Thanks
Terry[DOUBLEPOST=1373432853][/DOUBLEPOST]tagging @vyral_143; @m-jeri; @nishthecooldude; @DarkAngel

Last edited by a moderator:
FK has screwed by things bigtime. The 64GB Samsung Pro microSD that I had booked on 13/07 is still not delivered to me - some weird excuse
Due to some unexpected transit related issues, there could be a delay in delivering your product by 2-3 business days....

Meanwhile, the price of the above product has fallen by Rs 400/- today on FK :mad:

CRAP .... (Glad I did not book the cellphone from them)

FK has screwed by things bigtime. The 64GB Samsung Pro microSD that I had booked on 13/07 is still not delivered to me - some weird excuse

Meanwhile, the price of the above product has fallen by Rs 400/- today on FK :mad:

CRAP .... (Glad I did not book the cellphone from them)

You can still cancel your order and reorder same. On Flipkart one can cancel his/her order unless that item is not shipped, IIRC.

You can still cancel your order and reorder same. On Flipkart one can cancel his/her order unless that item is not shipped, IIRC.

The 'cancel' link is 'deactivated' :( + I have already made the full payment by Credit Card + I think it has already been shipped from Bangalore & now stuck in Mumbai

Received at the hub nearest you.
  • Mon, 15th Jul
  • 05:25 am
  • Jogeshwari Hub
  • In Transit to Jogeshwari Hub
  • Mon, 15th Jul
  • 12:04 am
  • Mumbai Sort Facility
  • Received At Mumbai Sort Facility
  • Sat, 13th Jul
  • 10:03 pm
  • Mumbai Sort Facility
  • In Transit to Mumbai Sort Facility
  • Sat, 13th Jul
  • 08:06 pm
  • Whitefield Sort Facility
  • Received At Whitefield Sort Facility
  • Sat, 13th Jul
  • 05:24 pm
  • Whitefield Sort Facility
  • In Transit to Whitefield Sort Facility
  • Sat, 13th Jul
  • 05:24 pm
  • Bangalore Whitefield Warehouse
  • Item dispatched

Can I still 'CANCEL IT' ?

Clear & Bright as HELL in normal daylight :cigar: ..... (I have yet to test in 'bright & sunny' conditions & the weather in Mumbai is cloudy & rainy).
Good, because in sunlight LCD screens don't do as well as amoleds.

GSMArena gave it a low score in sunlight which has to be 'calibrated' with your experience. They docked it for reflectivity, whether this is something you can live with remains to be seen.

If the item is already shipped you can't cancel it now. :(

Still glad you are happy with the phone. I can never figure out how people use such big phones when talking though ! :p

Talking ain't a problem with these 'sledgehammers' ;) .... It only fits well (pants) with pockets that are 'slanted' (not horizontal ... like most jeans have). Now that is a problem with me as I usually wear jeans & most times when I am travelling this phone lies inside my shoulder bag :mad:

=========================================================================

FLIPKART SUCKS .... I recd (again) 2 mails last evening telling me that -
Due to some unexpected transit related issues, there could be a delay in delivering your product by 2-3 business days.....

I have vented my anger & frustration through emails & have recd the usual 'apologetic replies'. This kind of delay has never ever happened to me ever since I started online shopping from 2004. I have also demanded a refund of Rs 400

The least FK can do is also refund me the Rs 400/- price difference that the Samsung 64Gb pro microSD now commands (because the price-drop & delay in delivery adds insult to my injury).

It is now 6 & 7 days since I booked the following items - Logitech HD Pro C920 (Rs 5323/-) and Samsung 64Gb MicroSD Pro Series (Rs 3999/-) & I have complained about the delay in delivery.

WHAT IS NOW EVEN MORE SHOCKING IS OWING TO MY CONSTANT MAILS - FK HAS NOW REVERTED (OFFICIALLY) THE PRICE OF THE 64GB to Rs 3999/- :mad:
This is the most pathetic & downright idiotic response that I have seen. I am sure that the bunch of morons who are taking these erratic decisions do not fathom the long term consequences of these hurried decisions. What harm would have been caused if they refunded me the Rs 400 that I sought (rather they would have earned some respect and credibility). They lost all that in their desperate scurrying for cover.

Note: Unfortunately I did not capture a snapshot of FK's reduced price of Rs 3599 on the Samsung 64GB that was online from Tuesday 16th July to Thursday late evening 18th July.

Regrets
Terence Fernandes

@logistopath; @Crazy_Eddy; @Renegade; @raksrules;

I was going to suggest you to get the Huawei Ascend Mate 6.1 which I bought for my mom recently (she loves it), but saw that you have bought the Mega 5.8. Congrats nonetheless! :)

^^ Woah, the Hyundai has got some serious features but damn it has a 6.1 inch screen and weighs 200 gms ??? :p

Only issue is if something goes wrong with it Huwaei doesn't have the same support as Samsung. In that regard Samsung has got a good track record for service.

Talking ain't a problem with these 'sledgehammers' ;) .... It only fits well (pants) with pockets that are 'slanted' (not horizontal ... like most jeans have). Now that is a problem with me as I usually wear jeans & most times when I am travelling this phone lies inside my shoulder bag :mad:
Ah, so the 5.8 incher DOES have portability issues as suspected. I don't know who buys these phablets, they just don't seem all that practical in the portability area unless you have a handbag or carry case, one of those leather jobbies with a hand strap.

Friend has an xperia z, 5 inch screen, puts it in his front jeans pocket and has no problem squatting with it in. And the Z is a longish phone compared to others.

^^ Woah, the Hyundai has got some serious features but damn it has a 6.1 inch screen and weighs 200 gms ??? .

I guess you wanted to say Huwei here ?

@terence_fdes: Its 3599 again. Attaching screeny with date and time. Bash them with this.

Samsung 64GB.jpg

I guess you wanted to say Huwei here ?

@terence_fdes: Its 3599 again. Attaching screeny with date and time. Bash them with this.

View attachment 24610

I have been constantly pestering FK with mails & calls. No delivery as yet. Its the 8th day now. I do not think I would ever want to deal with FK ever again. I really am pissed by their unprofessional ways.
I have also given them a link to this thread

I have been constantly pestering FK with mails & calls. No delivery as yet. Its the 8th day now. I do not think I would ever want to deal with FK ever again. I really am pissed by their unprofessional ways.
I have also given them a link to this thread

I had exactly opposite experience recently. Ordered few items worth ~13K all were shipped on same day evening and received in 3 days flat. There must be some issue with supplier or its your bad luck perhaps. :(

^^ Woah, the Hyundai has got some serious features but damn it has a 6.1 inch screen and weighs 200 gms ??? :p

Only issue is if something goes wrong with it Huwaei doesn't have the same support as Samsung. In that regard Samsung has got a good track record for service.

If you handle the phone, you will know what I mean when I say that the weight is extremely evenly distributed. Maybe because the battery is internal? But it is extremely easy to hold for longer periods - coming from my mom who has quite a lot of shoulder pain these days.

Secondly, I was surprised to see that they have included a small booklet with a list of service centers and their contact numbers. There are 2 listed in Pune and a plethora of them present across the country. Hopefully, it will be a long time before I need to use that list but I feel this is something all manufacturers should include.

Ah, so the 5.8 incher DOES have portability issues as suspected. I don't know who buys these phablets, they just don't seem all that practical in the portability area unless you have a handbag or carry case, one of those leather jobbies with a hand strap.

Friend has an xperia z, 5 inch screen, puts it in his front jeans pocket and has no problem squatting with it in. And the Z is a longish phone compared to others.

Totally agree - you can feel the phone in your pockets. I got this for my mom (and suitable for most women) since she always carries a purse. With a 4050 MAh battery, she does not have to take the iPad everywhere for entertainment needs.

Flipkart - Update:

10 days have passed & I have not received my 2 orders: OD30712054323 (Logitech HD Pro webcam) & OD30713042013 (samsung 64GB). Yesterday I got an sms stating that OD30713042013 will be delivered by 7 pm. We waited at home the whole day and no one from FK turned up. Later FK again sent an sms at 8:31pm stating that "shipment could not be delivered as no one was available". This is total lies and mockery of the worst kind. I am so pissed off. sd (Terence Fernandes)

I always wondered what the point of a flip cover was. Difficult to take photos with.

The only use i can think of is to shield the screen from sunlight.

A flip cover - (the way I see it ;))- serves as a 'protection for the main screen' from scratches; scrubs; rubbing against other bodies and so on
It can be an irritant; leads to the phone getting a wee bit thicker too.

Back