DVD Player issue

amitmk

Adept
I bought an LG DVD/Divx player less than 2 years back. Now the thing doesn't read any of the discs. It just gives and "error" message on the display. It was working fine till last week.

Do u get lens cleaners for DVD players?? Should i attempt getting it repaired or just buy a new one. I had hardly used this player. Must have seen 15-20 movies max in these 2 years.

Can u guys tell me how long ur DVD player has lasted?? My first player - Pioneer lasted me 6 years. And my next - an LG lasted me just 1.5 yrs and I hardly saw any movies during this period.

The player is not reading discs now and is throwing up a "disc error" msg. Will cleaning the lens help or will I have to just buy another player?

Take it to an authorized service center, they should be able to fix it and shouldn't cost much. However if the repairing cost they quote is high, it would be better to go for a new player.

Should i spend on buying a lens cleaner (i donno how much they cost so i am assuming they are not cheap) or does that never work??

Better u go to authorized service center and repair it :)

mostly, it looks like your DVD Player has defective Lens..

^ Like I did for my Phillips.. got it from the US, didn't work in India.. maybe fried in a voltage surge or something.. the authorized center folks handed me a bill of 1200 Rs. .. not sure if they actually changed the lens as they told me.. or just changed a capacitor.. (The player was never used, so it couldn't be a bad lens issue, I should have googled the No Disc problem for that player.. would have worked out cheaper for me)

So my advise is, get it repaired at a local shop for cheap.. or get a cheap ass Chinese dvd player for the same price the authorized center will take to repair it..

It does not seem that a lens cleaner will do the job. I think an authorized service center charges around 250-300 bucks as labour charges + parts extra. Give them a shot.

My DivX player's lens also went kaput some time back. Warranty was over. I contacted the authorised service centre, they told me it would cost 1000 bucks for lens change... I agreed and they sent a person to my house. I asked the person can it be done in a cheaper way? He said that he can replace the lens personally and reduced the price to 350 :eek:hyeah: instead of paying to the company. The company had said that there was no warranty on the replaced lens, so I had nothing to lose... I agreed and he then brought a sealed lens from the company itself and replaced my kaput lens with it...
The DVD player is working fine now... :D

EDIT: My DVD player is Mitashi DivX 999

4dh1r said:
My DivX player's lens also went kaput some time back. Warranty was over. I contacted the authorised service centre, they told me it would cost 1000 bucks for lens change... I agreed and they sent a person to my house. I asked the person can it be done in a cheaper way? He said that he can replace the lens personally and reduced the price to 350 :eek:hyeah: instead of paying to the company. The company had said that there was no warranty on the replaced lens, so I had nothing to lose... I agreed and he then brought a sealed lens from the company itself and replaced my kaput lens with it...
The DVD player is working fine now... :D

EDIT: My DVD player is Mitashi DivX 999

Dude, why dont u give me this guys no. I'll ask him only to come and do whatever is required then :cool2:

Yeah Pioneer is really great ! I have one for over 6 years and it still reads practically every disc I give it.

I bought a Samsung VCD player a few years after my Pioneer and the Samsung went kaput in no time. Kept repairing it and it kept going kaput ! My next purchase will be 100% Pioneer.

Are SONY vd players good?? There is like a 1500 bucks iff btw SONY & Pioneer.

I am thinking of buying the Sony DVP-NS67P which is for 3400. It plays DivX too.

Any comments??

Back