Storage Solutions DVD Writer buying advice

RKitect

Disciple
Hi guys,

I want to buy a DVD writer. pls let me know which one to buy and the appx price.
Budget around Rs 1100/-

1. Samsung
2. LG
3. Liteon
4. any other

Thanks and regards,
Rahul

You can get any of the drives you mentioned for around that much. Just pick any one which your local dealer is selling cheapest, all seem to have their own share of problems.

avoid samsung,,,mine stopped working in warranty period then after warranty,,the drive just vanished from the system!!!try asus

Liteon is a little difficult to find (at lamington). Samsung would be your best bet. Sony is also good, but sony will cost u rs. 100 more than samsung.

i dont know ur location, but currently in mumbai, OEM sony optiarc 24x dvd writers are available for approx 1250. these do not have sony written on their tray, nor a cardboard box and packing box etc and the nero cd coming is also not labelled. nevertheless, they have the relevant information written on the drive.

mhamirma said:
Liteon is a little difficult to find (at lamington). Samsung would be your best bet. Sony is also good, but sony will cost u rs. 100 more than samsung.

i dont know ur location, but currently in mumbai, OEM sony optiarc 24x dvd writers are available for approx 1250. these do not have sony written on their tray, nor a cardboard box and packing box etc and the nero cd coming is also not labelled. nevertheless, they have the relevant information written on the drive.

Samsung has many drawbacks,its tray is heavy so after using it for a year it will get stuck.

I will recommend writers from Sony,Asus & Philipps they are the best manufacturers and always buy a writer which has SATA interface because this this drastically increases the data transfer rates.

tray problem seems to be solved but they(sammy)die out just after warranty period,,get asus,,for sony i have loading problems smtimes but its still working(5yrs old)

I have liteon but I like my freinds LG.
LG has consistently good reputation in the optical drive market for the past 10 years.

You won't find LiteOn drives in the market anymore.

The MoserBaer drives are manufactured by LiteOn. LiteOn is not selling its drives by branding with its name.

LiteOn drives are now sold under the brand Moserbaer-LiteOn.

LiteOn drives are good.

But some models or maybe specific pieces may have problems. My LiteOn drive(working well for over 2 years) has some problems while writing DVD from Moserbaer and Frontech. Even if I ask it to write at 16x, the writing speed most of the time remains around 7x if I am writing in the DVD for the 1st time in Multisession mode. When writing in the 2nd or 3rd session, then the speed increses to around 14x.

I don;t know if it is a problem or is it the same with all DVD writers.

RKitect said:
Hi guys,

I want to buy a DVD writer. pls let me know which one to buy and the appx price.
Budget around Rs 1100/-

1. Samsung
2. LG
3. Liteon
4. any other

Thanks and regards,
Rahul

LG
= Peace of Mind !

It may not be the fastest on the block but will still remain on it...
:p

Samsung is only fit for making monitors and washing machines! Samsung optical drives tend to have many issues. The one I had never used to open or close automatically. Faulty drive belt. Same goes for sony.

LG front bazel looks cheap but I'd stick to it.

I too had problems with my Samsung Combo drive. It failed reading new cds right out of the box, and was very selective in reading cds. Guys at the service center said it was dust on the lens but within a couple of months stopped reading again...got it serviced again and same problem later. While in the warranty period i could get it repaired again and again but after that had to get it replaced. Been using a Lite-On Dvd writer for the last couple of years and until recently gave me no probs at all. There's a problem with the tray now in the sense that the tray only opens when theres a cd in it otherwise i have to use the emergency open method. No writing n readin probs though:)

Earlier sony drives were good as liteon used to manufacture them the newer optiarc work somehow until one year afterwards problemsbegin to increase mine first stopped reading dvd had to upgrade firmware but then stopped reading dvd rw then stopped writing dvd now can only read them.samsung has improved with tray issues users having lite on drives have got life of their drives do not expect to last them for long time . LG drives have observed to produce scratches on dvd. Seen given my dvd to friend who had an LG got back scratched almost unreadable.

Earlier sony drives were good as liteon used to manufacture them the newer optiarc work somehow until one year afterwards problemsbegin to increase mine first stopped reading dvd had to upgrade firmware but then stopped reading dvd rw then stopped writing dvd now can only read them.samsung has improved with tray issues. users having lite on drives have got life of their drives do not expect to last them for long time . LG drives have observed to produce scratches on dvd. Seen given my dvd to friend who had an LG got back scratched almost unreadable.

Back