Storage Solutions DVD writer dissappears from "My Computer"

I have been having this problem lately. Whenever i put in a Cd that is difficult to be read ( scratches or poorly written), my DVD drive (and computer) becomes very slow which is quite understandable, but then when my PC stops responding I press the eject button on the drive. The tray comes out but immediately goes back in automatically and then the icon for the DVD drive dissapears from "My computer". The icon appears again when i restart the computer.
I have a SONY DRU-720A DVD writer.

This same problem happened with my old LG Cd drive... it is due to fact that the drive is in its last stages.....

u got to restart so that the drive gets detected again...

i tried a lot of ways to sort that prob... like cleaning lens, updating firmware... but nothing helped it... then got a DVD writer and it works like charm in the same setup...

This is due to windows...

Either u go to control panel and start add new hardware... and it probably detects your lost drive OR

you turn off the comp... take out the power / data cord of the drive and start the PC and then again turn off and connect everything and sure windows will detect the new hardware.... :)

I'll recommend cleaning theconnecting pins at the back with Isopropyl alcohol. and if possible cange the connecting socket. Same thing happened to me some time back, it was due to loose connection.

^^no no no i only wanted to know what those terms" firmware upgrade and cleaning lens" mean and how to do that? never knew all this ans will ne happy if someone could tell me abbout it.

Firmware upgrade is like updating the software within ur Hardware...It can add new features and also improve the performancwe of the hardware..But if u don't do it right, u could ruin the hardware...U get firmware upgrades for all major hardware devices at the manufacturers website.

Lens cleaning of ur optical drive can be done using any of the lens cleaning kits available in the market.

Yea but most firmware upgrades are done automatically and u dont have to worry too much. Just make sure that there isnt a power outage during updating.

Back