E61i or HTC Touch or Samsung i600

Haven't used the HTC, so do not take this feedback as a comparison.
When I bought the E61 (non-camera version) around 6 months back, I had to choose between E61, P990i, SE m600, Communicator and Samsung Ming.

The reasons in brief why I chose the E61 (maybe u can cross-check the same with HTC to see if it fulfills these)

1. I wanted non-camera since camera phones are not allowed in a lot of corporates I visit and more so for the board meetings that we have
2. Wanted wifi since my workplace and home is wifi enabled and wanted this feature for easy movement of data(basic data, restricted for certain uses)
3. Needed office editing capability which this phone offers. At times, I load on a presentation and take only the phone to a meeting for the presentation. Sometimes while travelling, if I felt the need to make some modifications to the ppt, I could do so.
4. Big screen. If I had to do some decent amount of work/browsing on the phone, I needed a large screen to avoid straining my eyes. Also at that time, this phone had the highest resolution.
5. Very very typing friendly. This is a huge plus for me when I need to send mails(configured to use my office mail server) giving urgently needed approvals.

It also has some cons
1. I like a slim phone....helps keep it in the pocket without that awkward bulge
2. Had to spend another 1K on a capdase case to protect the phone against accidental drops.
3. Does not use a normal 3.5mm port for headphones (so cannot plug in my fav senns for listening to music....had to purchase a separate adapter for this feature)

I am a business user as you can see and did not want features like mp3 playback capability(the phone's software come loaded with real player), camera or touchscreen (I hate this feature....too long to elaborate here :) )

Hope this helps as a short review from a user of the E61

@private ryan

which is better in terms of connectivity?
i want to browse website like orkut, youtube, some blog sites and some tech forums. so which is more fast?
also i want to download files in the mobile itself. i also want to download from rapidshare, megashare etc sites.
the kaptcha must also be seen.

then i think you should go with the symbian.

See this link.

Here is a youtube player for symbian phones. You can directly watch youtube videos on the phone itself.

[MODS, I DON'T KNOW WHETHER THE APP GIVEN IN THE LINK IS LEGAL OR NOT. SO IF YOU SEE IT AS BEING AGAINST RULES, PLS DELETE THE LINK. THANKS!]

Also, Opera rocks on symbian!

@Private Ryan
u'll find more free stuff for the windows platform than symbian on the net....symbian cannot match windows mobile when it comes to 3rd party apps!!

are you sure about that? I thought it was the other way round.

@cyrux: It came unlocked itself.. in the box.. wasn't an airtel-branded phone..

Windows mobile > symbian anyyyyy day with respect to third party apps and just general cool-quotient..

Opera Mobile is great on WM too :D

ajo_alex said:
@private ryan

which is better in terms of connectivity?
i want to browse website like orkut, youtube, some blog sites and some tech forums. so which is more fast?
also i want to download files in the mobile itself. i also want to download from rapidshare, megashare etc sites.
the kaptcha must also be seen.
Like i said earlier, speed is relative...some may find it okay, while some may find it slow...but its similar to the experience of using net on symbian.. as for browsing websites, hell yess, u can browse just about anything u want with WM IE browser...but i'm not sure about RS or megashare..never tried it..:S

Kumar said:
are you sure about that? I thought it was the other way round.
Yes...no doubts about tht..:D just google for WM apps and free stuff...symbian can never match the enormous database of free/paid softwares for WM devices....:hap5: And its only getting better with time as more WM devices penetrate the mainstream mobile market..;)

No Contest here... WM Devices all the way. If not now, then maybe later... WM will find you ;)

In terms of usability it'll take a a few days to get used to the Touch, but once you do, you just can't put it down. I'm yet to get my JasJam... so for the meantime I got myself a Touch. I'm so impressed with the size and performance that there are fleeting times when I have thoughts of getting rid of my JasJam.

Let me put it to you like this... you can do almost anything on a WM device that you would do on a computer... ALMOST ANYTHING... and once you get it... there is no way you'll go back to a Symbian Device.

So you can choose to spend whtever amount of money on the E61 and then later realise that you need a WM device, or just pick it up right now and be done with it.

It's such as diabloical situation, the E61i reviews are great, the Touch reviews are great and Im totally confused, I really like the E61i, gives me that geeky image, the Touch is classy, too classy...

Any help... now Im all totally confused

Well, now the ball's in ur court..:p If i were u, i wud take the touch anyday!! ;)

think about practicality as well...the e61 may look geeky to you, but it'll create an ugly bulge in ur pocket, tht is, if u somehow manage to sneak it in ur pocket..:p the touch is very small, n will easily slip in...;)

I own a p990i and evn though i bought it for its sheer size(i like big bulky phones :p ), i have to confess, its not very practical, as u have to carry it in ur hands most of the time(with the handsfree connected)...;)

tommy_vercetti said:
It's such as diabloical situation, the E61i reviews are great, the Touch reviews are great and Im totally confused, I really like the E61i, gives me that geeky image, the Touch is classy, too classy...

Any help... now Im all totally confused

be the new geek on the block... not the ones from "Pirates of the silicon valley" geeks ..:bleh: :bleh: Go for the touch.... The only downside i see for it is the pathetic 64 MB ram... it should be 128 MB... dont know how much this degrades its performance..????

may be someone with experience can tell you....

ajo_alex said:
also since HTC is similare to our computer, it mite get more prone to viruses rite wen compared to symbian?

Uhh NO LOL!

The RAM is alright.. with the patched ROM and if you just install what you need it's great.. I have 23 MB free after a softreset..

For me its Touch anyday.

However if u dont need a touchscreen if can look for the HTC S710. Nice phone, big display, WM6, QWERTY sliding keyboard, build quality is very good and with all these features - not at all bulky - can be kept in a shirt pocket. U can get one in the range of 16.3-16.5K.

________

Arup

archat68 said:
For me its Touch anyday.
However if u dont need a touchscreen if can look for the HTC S710. Nice phone, big display, WM6, QWERTY sliding keyboard, build quality is very good and with all these features - not at all bulky - can be kept in a shirt pocket. U can get one in the range of 16.3-16.5K.

________
Arup

That was my first choice, but if you see the reviews on the gsmarena, there a lot of ppl who were saying lot of things that did not work in that one

Seed said:
@cyrux: It came unlocked itself.. in the box.. wasn't an airtel-branded phone..

Wow...i guess it was a non-indian phone imported in grey or something , since HTC here is sold solely on airtel networks

..so you got an unlocked phone for 20k in all with dealer/manufacturer warranty ?

@ Tommy... Forget about it all. Just go for the Touch. Most of the problems you might have read at GSM arena might be from NEWBS. Even if there is a problem, it's nothing that a custom firmware won't fix.

There must be atleast 15 ppl that I know directly or indirectly that have picked up the Touch in the last 2 months.

It's a great phone at a great price... now... make up ur mind :p

cyrux said:
..so you got an unlocked phone for 20k in all with dealer/manufacturer warranty ?
Yeah.. at that time I didn't even know Airtel was selling them.. one of my friends saw it and asked if it was the phone from the airtel ad and was like whaa?

Back