ebay - High custom duties levied

gkay09

Disciple
Hi all, I have an issue at hand with a seller @ebay,...Would really be thankful if you people help me out with your suggestions...

It goes like this,...I bought an android tablet for ~8K and it was to ship from Hongkong(Most Chinese tablets do right...)

Item was bought on 7th July and was still not received by 17th July - But was given an shipment number which said its still in customs processing in India, But I initiated a refund request from ebay which is now put on hold on seller request by ebay,... The seller had sent a personal mail stating that you would have to pay customs and such and when called and inquired about the customs charges, was quoted 3k which makes me feel kinda ripped,... So what should I do ??? Can I not pay the customs and reject the courier? Or any other way of going about it,...

Again thanks for your responses,...

EDIT:

@All The tablet was bought from ebay.in only and not ebay.com,... If that changes the equations,...

Tablets attract 30 % duty so its about right .if you refuse delivery, it may not go back to seller.now best option is to visit customs and see if you can settle matter for less amount.

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX™ 4G on Aircel

you have not mentioned which ebay so i am assuming both -
if you have purchased from ebay.com then you will have to pay the custom duty for sure.
if you have purchased from ebay india you dont have to pay any customs duty come what pay. it is the seller who is responsible of all the headache if you purchased it from india.

@Op

You have thought of the customs earlier before ordering the stuff, its perfectly legal to charge customs from goods coming from abroad, you have to pay customs to get your stuff. You cannot claim refund because the seller/courier have not done anything illegal/wrong.

contact ebay and tell them you bought from Ebay and you wont pay customs . Eighter give the product for 8K or refund the money !

Its clearly stated its going to be shipped from China bruv and the seller had also clearly stated this "Custom duties and OCTROI is NOT included in the price.". I really dont think you have much of a case here.

It's clearly written in the listing "Custom duties and OCTROI is NOT included in the price." So I think the only option left is contact customs and try to get a solution..

Well that is fine, but how much is the customs duties actually for that product ?? But dont you people think 3K is too high for a 8k product?

$h!t happens bruv, go to customs, haggle a bit, pay the duty, move on. for 11k thats not a bad tab.

Customs will be 30% of actual product.

Sh!t happens.... move on. Just pay the duty and get the tab. Next time onward check item location before you purchase anything on any e-commerce site.

Its wrong of you to create problems for the seller by initiating a refund. You should have thought about customs before importing to India

^ Well you should know that I dint not initiate refund because he charged Customs, but for the reason that I have still not received the product which I purchased on 7th July, also came to know that I would have to pay customs from my friend who had also bought that item along with me, and he was told to do so and I have yet to receive any info about the same from the seller and only when I initiated the refund I came to know that I have to pay customs, So do you think its fair on the seller part to just sit simply without helping me out in this matter...?

Dont you think you would do the same ???

@All Thanks for your replies,... My bad I should have kept my eyes wide open when buying stuffs like these,... Like they say there is always the First time,...

Back