ebook Reader buying

cool_cat

Adept
(Bought Kindle Touch)ebook Reader buying help

Hi,

I am looking to buy a cheap eReader(e-ink). the Indian models(Wink,Pi etc) are not in My plan.

My use will be for using for reading pdfs in particular. I think Amazon Kindle is the cheaper option available. Is the Touch Screen model(Kindle 4, assume) more easier to use as well as less troubles(with reg to not having a physical keyboard)? I have doubts about warranty and Assuming keyboard model has in long term develop any problem with keyboard, it will be a headache?

wifi or 3g model? is 3g really useful considering My usage is just as a eReader.

Is there any price reduction happening owing to the release of Kindle Fire?

What is the options to buy from India and how much can be expected for touch screen model if bought from India through ebay like sites?

If I buy from US, does the pre-order still works? for Kindle 4 Touch Wifi ?

Kindle Touch: Touchscreen e-Reader with Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display

Yes, I've a relative there.
and current Kindle/Nook/etc Models... it available off the shelf in Kochin or Banglore in nominal rates?

TIA

If you are looking to read PDFs without conversion, keep in mind that the Kindle's small screen will not help. You will need something like a tablet to render PDFs natively better.

exactly. I use the kindle a lot for reading novels, but the moment i want to read pdf, i prefer either a tablet or pc. the pdf wont be rendered well on kindle screen. specially if it has quite a few graphic elements or two columnar formats.

bitsandpieces said:
exactly. I use the kindle a lot for reading novels, but the moment i want to read pdf, i prefer either a tablet or pc. the pdf wont be rendered well on kindle screen. specially if it has quite a few graphic elements or two columnar formats.

will converting to kindle supported formats help with pdf files?

cool_cat said:
will converting to kindle supported formats help with pdf files?

In my experience of converting text only PDFs, the output was excellent. The point to note though is text only. Even a single image screws things

I have a Kindle too. But PDFs just don't work well. Even conversion of text-only PDFs is a problem since the paragraph changes erratically even in the middle of a sentence.

Look for nook touch costs same as Kindle wifi ad free version, its runs on android .. You can root and install kindle app itself and don't forget browser and apps,

While the downside no audio and no support in india

agantuk said:
In my experience of converting text only PDFs, the output was excellent. The point to note though is text only. Even a single image screws things
baccilus said:
I have a Kindle too. But PDFs just don't work well. Even conversion of text-only PDFs is a problem since the paragraph changes erratically even in the middle of a sentence.
ayanavish said:

Regarding exporting pdfs into formatted text, it will be some effort doing to each pdf?

Is there a pdf dimensions/font size etc that kindle supports fine? If We can resize/correct the pdfs using...something like unoconv meeting the needed specification ?
Buttt.. I read some reviews(links found from TE only). It looks like, for pdf read, LCD tablets(umm kindle fire) are the better option.. But, choose eReader as I need to have something I can carry everywhere, compact and small and easy to eye(e-ink, I guess).
Thanks for all the replies :)

It's not about the kind of screen. LCD/eink won't matter. Only thing that will matter in case of PDFs is the screen size. If you want to read PDFs, better get an A4 size reader. The reason for this is PDF is a post script format. It is more like an image than text and it's often problematic to change it according to the screen size.

baccilus said:
It's not about the kind of screen. LCD/eink won't matter. Only thing that will matter in case of PDFs is the screen size. If you want to read PDFs, better get an A4 size reader. The reason for this is PDF is a post script format. It is more like an image than text and it's often problematic to change it according to the screen size.

E-ink is less taxing on the eyes for reading: CNet: LCD vs. e-ink: The eyestrain debate. Thoughts on the NookColor. PCW Top 5 Tech | TeleRead: News and views on e-books, libraries, publishing and related topics. For PDFs reflow matters, and tablets perform better in reflowing the content. Kindle DX (A4 sized reader) isn't the most portable thing around; and in terms of portability, which is as good as carrying a small screen netbook or notebook around.

I am asked to finalize whether Kindle touch wifi or Kindle Fire so as to Pre-order from Amazon?
I need to read pdfs( I can convert to needed format) and I am really confused now as some says not buying Kindle Fire given the chance will be regretted later.

I've read review which seems tilted more in favour to Kindle Fire:

Kindle Fire IPS display vs Kindle Touch E-Ink [Video] - SlashGear

http://cdn.slashgear.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Fire-IPS-2.jpg

Help Me Finalize Fast. :) it is really confusing as I am conditioned to think e-ink reader from the beginning.

Thanks For All Inputs.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Guys.. Ordered "Kindle Touch Wifi" at the End. not kindle fire.

Thank You All For the Suggestions.

UPDATE: I asked to change order to Kindle Touch Wifi+US adapter. :p

Here's the detail:

Order Total: $108.99
Delivery estimate: Nov. 30, 2011 - Dec. 5, 2011

I wish I'd seen this thread before.
I've converted lots of my pdf's to mobi through either calibre or mobipocket reader, and had good to excellent results for about 75-80% of them.
You should have tried converting them yourself and based your buying decision on the results.

However, you can't really go wrong with the Kindle Fire.

I've got a Kindle 3, and the only gripe I have with it is that the battery life's too short. I was hoping it would last me a month, but it only lasts about a week (2000-3000) page turns. The Nook touch is supposed to do 9000 page turns, and that makes it the no.1 ereader for me.
Your Fire will probably give you about 6-8hrs of reading time, but it's a more rounded device, and will work better for your pdfs.

Congratulations on your purchase, and do write a review once you get it.

Play Boy!
Why didn't I think of that??
I'll see if I can get my hand on some issues of the mag, and try converting them.

Oh..the things we do for science. :D

Back