User Guides Effectively using thermal paste and aftermarket heatsinks - A guide

I have been working on reducing my system temps for a whole month now, with various fans and coolers. I recently got an OCZ Vendetta 2 which is based on the HDT system.

After all the trial and error in the world and a lot of reading and experimenting I have finally found the right way to use an aftermarket heatsink and an aftermarket paste. There has been a massive reduction in temps after using the below mentioned method.

The cast:

Cooler: OCZ Vendetta 2
Link: OCZ Technology | Products | Cooling Products | OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Cooler

Paste: Artic Silver 5
Link: Arctic Silver Incorporated - Arctic Silver 5

Cleaning Solution: Articlean
Link: ArctiClean by Arctic Silver

CPU: AMD 720 BE
Link: AMD Processors for Desktops: AMD Phenom?, AMD Athlon? FX, AMD Athlon? X2 Dual-Core, AMD Athlon?, and AMD Sempron? Processor
Stock cooler temps: Idle: 45-46 - Load(under Orthos for five minutes @3.3 Mhz): 67-68
OCZ Vendetta 2 temps(with wrong application of paste): Idle 40-42 Load(Same as above): 59-60
OCZ Vendetta 2 temps(with right application of paste): Idle 32-33 Load (Same as above): 42 MAX under 25 minutes of Orthos

Now how to do it:

First clean the cooler and the cpu surfaces first with articlean fluid 1 and then no. 2 as per the instructions given in the site or booklet. Make sure that all the existing gook is removed including from the grooves in the heatsink, if it has been used before.Try to clean it as much as possible, but use a lint free and soft cloth to do this as you dont want to scratch the copper heatpipes.
Then put in a small amount like a drop on the cooler surface near the heatpipes, which can then be easily rubbed into the gaps between the pipe and the aluminium base. This has to be done only for the center two pipes with which there will be full contact with the CPU. Make sure that there is nothing extra and also that there is nothing jutting out of the thin grooves between the copper heatpipes and the rest of the heatsink. Rub it down well.

Now for the most important part and this where I was going very very wrong. Take a rice grain size amount of the paste and put it onto the middle of the cpu. Then using a very thin plastic sheet streatched around your finger, rub it nicely all over the cpu, making sure that nothing is jutting over the sides. Once you do this you must make sure that it is even and it looks like there is almost a mirror like smooth finish. It is essential that nothing is outside the sides of the CPU. Please be careful about this. You must also not be able to see any writing on the CPU top now.

Once this is done we install the CPU, and then very carefully put in the heatsink on top making sure that there is good and proper contact between the CPU and the cooler base. This is essential specially with Vendetta as it tends to slide around and has a tendency to leave one side of the cpu exposed and not covered with the heatsink.

Then put in the back pin and finally with a little pressure the front pin. This may take two people to do as the heatsink may move and the whole process will have to be redone. Fit the front pin in and close the lever and your done. Startup and see the difference in temps. :eek:hyeah:

Thats it and I hope I finally get some good ratings for probably my longest post on TE. :ashamed:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Well, a decent job of explaining the process but i think u didn't take any pics of how to do that... :) (Or mite be i am in office so pics are blocked :p )

Repped for the good work though...:)

Is it ur first rep???

Just adding my two bits in case there is already a guide for this. Since this was my frist time suing thermal paste am sure many others too would face the same roadblocks and this was my way of helping the newer members here, the same way a lot of guys helped me.

Ya Mav2000 is right. Previously once i had a Athlon X2 procy, which i applied too much thermal paste and my cpu fins got damages while i was trying to put on another heatsink.

Heatsink was not coming out. It was sticked with procy too much and by mistake i pulled out in force and CPU's fins got damaged and my procy become useless..

so be careful alwayss while applying thermal paste. take advices from expr people...
Hi @Mav2000 did you tried it stock cooler and how much diff does it givee

I have not really tried it on stock cooler, but my guess is that thermal paste would reduce temps by about 4-5 degs atleast, if done right. Thats the kind of differnece I got by redoing the application using the right amount.

@mav2000 Do the thermal compounds have a working lifetime. I mean a definite time upto which it works very well but after which its efficiency decreases too much?

I have a very old rig. My processor is the AMD Athlon 2400+ XP. It is around 5 years old. Now a days the temperature hovers around 50 degrees at idle and goes on to 57-61 degrees on load(my cabinet does not have good ventilation. Only one small input fan.)

I was thinking that maybe the thermal compound had reached its end of life and its efficiency has decreased had so was not able to dissipate heat.

What do you suggest. Do I need to replace the thermal compound? Do I have to use an Arctic Silver compound. I am not sure if it is available in the market(I live in Kolkata).

Yes I would guess that the thermal paste has long since given up doing its job. I would suggest that you get a kit for cleaning and artic thermal paste from katmandude on this forum, or get it locally if possible. Both artic silver 5 and mx-2 are said to be very effective. Mx-2 works better than silver 5, as per most reports, and does not need curing time.

U can buy a Arctic Silver 5 since its cheaper and locally available else get a MX2...

I don't think there is a need to get the cleaning solution and all. U can just buy a alcohol swab which has isopropyl alcohol in any chemist store. It costs 2 rupees and it will do the job just fine...Let it dry after cleaning...

And then apply the paste and just refit ur proc...Also, that would make a difference but i think ventilation is far more important. Atleast get a cheapo high cfm exhaust fan like the Amigo's if u are short on budget, else the Scythe...:)

winD is right, mx2 will be safer to use as there is no issue if a little falles on the mobo or somewhere lese in the cabinet, whereas silver can be fatal for components.

Ok, just a few images to make it easier to understand.

The images below shows the CPU and heatsink cleaned and kept ready for applying the thermal paste. Using Artic clean 1 and 2 for the same.

img2166i.jpg

img2171y.jpg

The next two images are how we apply the thermal paste. First shows the small quantity actually needed and the second the application method.

img2167f.jpg

img2168v.jpg

The 5th image shows the paste evenly spread over the surface of the IHS.

img2169puu.jpg

Final image of the mounted CPU. Cheers.

img2170q.jpg

is there really such a big difference?if yes then i'll have to get a paste myself cause i have been suffering from heat problem a lot lately

Yes the difference is quite a bit. I also did some testing with mx2 and as5. Both gave me the same result. Cheers and best of luck.

Back