Electric scooter for 16 years old without license(less than 25km speed)

Do a DIY eBike setup! You can teach him and learn to do your own service and maintenance. Should workout a lot cheaper than commercial options too. Will the load be too much on an ebike?

I've never quite understood this logic of suffering in formative years translating into professional success. I honestly feel this type of thinking is very counter productive. If the global pandemic has taught me anything, it is that one must not forgo current convenience/happiness chasing some possible future happiness. (Obviously within reason).
Well this would be fathers decision we are out of it.

Its not about suffering , in the previous post his father already mentioned he travelled in the bus , so many others are in the same boat. So you think all those kids are suffering i personally don't get your logic.

Fathers logic is absolute bang on if he is spending 60k he should actually get a value ...

Many recommended bicycle because the kid is almost 17 and it shouldn't be an issue max 30 mins to reach the school.

It is indeed too much. You cannot compare your life experience at least couple decades back to life of kids in 2020. It is very different. We may have parents and grandparents who had to walk more distance to go to school. You don't want to ride a bicycle for 6 freaking kms two times a day for 6 days a week for school commute when you already are short of energy and time due to extreme academic stress and competition from all sides of life after you enter +1. Add to that maybe he has to go for coaching classes too, on sundays. These days +1 +2 students don't even get a little time for sports and games. please give a thought to mental health as well. Yes it is really good for your physical health and fitness but is it a viable practical option? Definitely not.

p.s: science and cs stream in context.

@saidu Get an e-scooter or a normal scooter whatever fits your bill. he'll thank you everyday.
We too had same lives man being a science stream student and an IIT aspirant just like everyone else. Every Tuesday and Thursday, I used to be out at 5:30AM and got home at 6:00PM due to multiple coaching classes and full day of school.
I have seen this shift over the years where people have slowly shifted from sending their kids on cycles to sending them through bus or scooters and mostly it was due to safety aspect as traffic also increased multiple times during that time and cycling on main city roads did become more dangerous. My only point was, that both ecycles and normal cycles would be similarly dangerous. I can understand that someone who doesn't use a cycle regularly might find it difficult when beginning but trust me 6km is nothing and he would get used to it within 15 days very easily. I weigh a 100kgs today but can still cycle 50kms even today. Anyhow, my suggestion was because I felt that we are making our current generations too soft. Of course, it is just a personal opinion and I have no right to force anyone, especially on how they are parenting.
I apologize to the OP, if my comment left a bad taste in his mouth. That was not my intention.

Bicycle...it's physically nothing for a 16 year old ( with books etc in a large backpack) almost every student in my locality does it.
However the traffic is much less here. It's not about change in generation etc. A nice little healthy habit.
We still go to head quarters on bikes ( when it's not snowing ofcourse), 15-20 minutes ride from hotel.

back-in-my-day-we-wore-shoeboxes-on-our-feet-and-walked-10-miles-to-school-uphill-both-ways-an...jpg

It's not about going backwards and has nothing to do with " back in our days"...it's a healthy habit, it was 50 years ago will remain the same 50 years after. Just like good old running/ jogging.

Last edited:
It's not about going backwards and has nothing to do with " back in our days"...it's a healthy habit, it was 50 years ago will remain the same 50 years after. Just like good old running/ jogging.

It's certainly backwards when compared to sparsely populated developed countries with cooler climates. There's no proper infrastructure here for vehicles let alone bicycles and the few dedicated bicycle lanes we have are encroached upon by hawkers. The potholes, the dust, the pollution and traffic aren't worth the trouble anymore and I say it as someone who used to cycle, a lot.

Now compare that to Bangalore, where OP seems to be from.

It's certainly backwards when compared to sparsely populated developed countries with cooler climates. There's no proper infrastructure here for vehicles let alone bicycles and the few dedicated bicycle lanes we have are encroached upon by hawkers. The potholes, the dust, the pollution and traffic aren't worth the trouble anymore and I say it as someone who used to cycle, a lot.

Now compare that to Bangalore, where OP seems to be from.

Everything remains same for an electric bicycle as well apart from the pedalling part. The pollution, dust and potholes will have same effect whether you are on a manual cycle or an electric one, won't they. I would have understood if the distances were 20-30kms each side, but one doesn't even start to sweat in a 6km ride if you ride leisurely.

Anyhow, here's a thread from teambhp from where the OP can find more information on electric cycles - https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/moto...FjAAegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw0hcXCfok4BU1kyZny9k_jn

Everything remains same for an electric bicycle as well apart from the pedalling part. The pollution, dust and potholes will have same effect whether you are on a manual cycle or an electric one, won't they. I would have understood if the distances were 20-30kms each side, but one doesn't even start to sweat in a 6km ride if you ride leisurely.

Point was it was OP's decision to opt for an e-bike for relatively more comfort & convenience, people here went OT and started lecturing him on how to spend his money/raise his kid instead of providing actual suggestions.

Well, you could get an ebike

Pros for ebike -
Restriction on speed
Pillion riding might not be possible
Cons -
Good only for relatively short distances.
Your child will quickly outgrow it, no question.

Or you could get a cheaper Honda/Okinawa electric scooter. Ather has good electric scooter but it's slightly pricey. However, you could inquire if they allow parental controls (such as speed limit and such)
Pros for e-scooter -
Can be used by multiple family members.
More carry space, bags and luggage can easily be handled
Much better range = less headache about charging or being stranded.
Cons -
They can easily do 40km

There was also mention of gearless vehicle for minors but I would advocate for electric bike / scooter for that green factor, esp. if its affordable.

Also, post kinda reminded me about my +1,+2 days (finished my PU in 2012) where I would cycle to college. It was 4 km from my home. Going to college it was all down-hill roads, coming to home was literally up-hill struggle lol.

Thank you guys for all your guidance. Different perspectives certainly gives a wider angle to the situation. Certainly appreciate all your inputs.
BTW... I will keep you posted once I purchase something. Expecting it around Feb first week.

Last edited:
Hero is offering a 5 year warranty (excluding battery & charger) for any purchase made between 1/1/21 & 31/3/21.
All their bikes in the "Comfort Speed" range have a top speed of 25 kmph.

most important thing in any electric vehicle is battery and then motors. whats the use of 5 year warranty if it doesnt cover battery?

most important thing in any electric vehicle is battery and then motors. whats the use of 5 year warranty if it doesnt cover battery?

Something is better than nothing, batteries are bound to degrade eventually depending on the number of charging cycles, it's unreasonable to expect 5 year warranty on the same.

^ on the contrary, I feel its reasonable to assume some amount of warranty on li ion battery especially on an electric vehicle. even brands like revolt offer 8 year warranty and chinese brands like okinawa offer 3 years/ 1 year warranty on battery. No idea why hero would skip on battery warranty since they're using li ion batteries too and not lead ones

^ on the contrary, I feel its reasonable to assume some amount of warranty on li ion battery especially on an electric vehicle. even brands like revolt offer 8 year warranty and chinese brands like okinawa offer 3 years/ 1 year warranty on battery. No idea why hero would skip on battery warranty since they're using li ion batteries too and not lead ones

Those manufacturers don't have the brand recognition that Hero enjoys, therefore they need to have a USP to increase sales.
Not like Hero isn't providing any warranty on batteries at all, they too provide a warranty from 1-3 years depending on the model.

Back