Electrical Engineering VS Computer Engineering(CSE)

Hello Guys,

I am a new member of this site.

I am in Class XII Science. I haven't chosen any career option yet. I have a lot of interest in Computer & Mobiles. So which field should I choose as I move ahead.

ECE or CSE??

Please explain & give the advantages & limitations.

Thanks,
Nikhil

If you are VERY VERRRRRRYYY passionate about ECE field, then chose ECE.
If you are passionate about Computers, then chose CSE.
If you are confused and donno what you like, then chose CSE.

Well, first of all. There is no This vs That. Think about what interests you more. If you are good at logic and imagination, go with CSE. Programming needs well developed logic in order to create innovative stuff. As you said, you have interest in Computers and Mobiles. But what in that to be precise? Is it hardware or software you like? If that is software stuff then you should definitely go with CSE :) Computers and Mobiles are no different things now. They are equally treated these days. I would say Mobile development can be a very good career in this Android, iOS and WP world.

Thanks Rahul++,

I had never studied CS but got this subject in Class XI. I have some interest in it not much. I just like hardware, designs etc. of Computers & Mobiles.

Don't choose CSE or ISE, they don't deserve to be called Engineering courses. Choose ECE/EEE, and learn coding in spare time.

Will I be able to get a job in comp. like Nokia or Samsung or etc.
You'll get a job with Samsung and Nokia depending on how good you are with your skills. I know a few guys who work with Samsung, some are from ECE and some from CSE. You'll have better prospects in the future doing ECE though.

Lol, do you want a degree for show off? ECE or CSE.. Nothing matters if you have skills. Degree is just a gateway. No matter which one you get. Some of my friends are working in totally opposite field (Mech guy is working in IT, IT guy is working in embedded).. It depends on what knowledge you have..

Look at @challapradyumna. I believe he is from Mechanical background but he is doing exceptionally well in Web development. It is 100 times more than what CSE students can do.

@OP - This is the right time to decide where you want to go. Do what you like. It is not necessary that you should get degree only.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok Got it. Can I have the procedure for IIT or JEE Advanced Exam?

I heard that one has to either stay in top 20 Percentile or top 1,50,000 students in JEE Main. Am I right?

You'll have better prospects in the future doing ECE though.

That depends a lot on where you do the course. For ECE, it is best to go for it only in IIT/NITs, good universities and private engg colleges which have proper facilities and faculty. If you cannot get a seat in these colleges, you will at least need to do an M.Tech from an IIT/IIIT/NIT to get decent jobs. Unlike CSE where you are not too constrained by where you get the degree from as long as you are passionate and have access to a computer, ECE is different. You need to be in a college with proper facilities and maybe even decent faculty in order to learn. Of course some people take the shortcut towards IT after doing ECE, but if you really want to succeed in the core area, it is the way to go. Joining the wrong college can ruin your career/life for good.

One of my order cousins did ECE at JNTU-Anantpur campus and M.Tech at IIT-Kgp and went into Texas Instruments through campus recruitment and later moved to couple of other Semiconductor companies and now permanently settled in US with a salary that an avg IT guy in US can only dream of making. Another one of my younger cousins opted for ECE out of passion for electronics, but joined the course at a local engg college at his parents behest and he was jobless for an year after he came out and switching jobs in small companies for the next and even now is on a contractual job that pays 8~10k per month and doesn't know what is going to happen after his contract ends. His sister went for CSE without any passion for engg at all and that too at a local engg college and and she is at least making 25k a month which is a tidy sum compared to him.

If you have passion for electronics and want to go for ECE, it is best to go for it only at a good college.

Back