eReaders - need a feedback

asingh

Staff member
Super Mod
Hi,

So have been hearing a lot about eReaders. Needs some feedback regarding the same, since do not have to much time to research, and nothing is better -than- from the horse's mouth.

1. Cost and some good model, readily available in India. Brick-a-mortar or eRetail is fine.
2. What are the format constraints.
3. How easily is content available. Is it on trackers or we can easily get content which is compatible.
4. Are news paper versions available for eReaders. (TOI/ET).
5. Battery life/charge up cycle.
6. What is the overall user experience from fellow users.
7. What all can it do "online". Mail, RSS, website browsing...?
8. How does data transfer happen.
9. What ports do they usually have. USB, BT, Wi-Fi, RJ45/CAT5.

Basically, I will be traveling a lot, and get dumb bored at airports and rail stations.

Thanks, friends. :)

1) You can get the nook for about Rs.7500 or the nook with the backlight for about 10,000.

2) There are no format constraints. I've got a Kindle and it doesn't let me read .epubs, but converting between ebook formats is quick and easy. Some pdfs don't convert well, but those are only the image heavy ones.

3) You can get free ebooks from project gutenberg, download others from the net, or buy them online.

4) I don't think newspapers have ereader versions, and I haven't tried. But they come with web-browsers, so you can view the online versions.

5) My Kindle lets me get through about 3 decent sized books on 1 charge or 1.5 epic books. The nook supposedly lasts 3 times longer. I charge the kindle from my computers USB port, and it takes about 4 hours.

6) I love it. Way better than reading a paper book. There are 2 downsides though. The screen is fragile, so if you're travelling, get a solid case/cover, and take care that you don't drop it. The other downside is having too many books on your fingertips. Makes choosing the next read difficult. :)

7) It's not meant for online use. You can surf the net if you're in a bind, but the experience will be sub-par. My version of the Kindle lets me listen to music, but I don't think the newer versions of the kindle and nook have audio support.

8) I've transferred all my files via my computers usb port.

9) They've all got just the single USB port, and support wi-fi. I don't think they can connect to the lan to transfer files. I only used the wi-fi once, to activate my Kindle. You can get the 3G models, but I don't think 3G'll work in India.

10) I use Calibre to manage my ebook collection. It helps with transferring files and converting between formats.

I will review my choice of eReader Kindle Keyboard. Used it for 1+ years and still am.

1. Approx 7500 imported from amazon through shopandship
2. Mobi is the best. epub can be easily converted using Calibre.
3. Very easily available.
4. No clue
5. Charge up 3 hours, lasts a month with 1 hour of reading a day.
6. Splendid!
7. a little bit of browsing, but you will hate it.
8. USB, drag and drop
9. USB, WiFi, 3G

Its crap for PDF, if you want PDF, then get Nook Color/touch.

3H for charging, it lasts a month mate!

---------- Post added at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:57 PM ----------

The charge should last you around 50 hours of reading to be honest.

^^
Okay that makes sense.

Now what is a good choice for color, backlit and max battery life. Kindle..?

Playbook wouldn't give the battery life of e-ink readers.

Wait for some time, rumors are afloat of a edge lit Kindle - this will make reading in the dark possible. Otherwise the eReaders are as good as paperbacks - on a lighter note, just can't/don't throw them around at anybody - both will get hurt (the other person physically and you financially!

Okay a weird bump. Was thinking about tablets now. I know the price range changes. What is a good option, removing Apple products out of the mix. Galaxy Tab 2 seems good. But has anyone been able to run 3G modems on it for connectivity. Like the Tata Photon + types.

Would suggest that you have a look at the Micromax playbookfunbook as well. it works with photon+ OOTB. BUt with stock f/w no other dongle is supported officially.

Okay a weird bump. Was thinking about tablets now. I know the price range changes. What is a good option, removing Apple products out of the mix. Galaxy Tab 2 seems good. But has anyone been able to run 3G modems on it for connectivity. Like the Tata Photon + types.

On the newest tab 2 @ 19500inr you have a inbuilt 3g sim slot.......No need for dongle :) hell you can even use it as a phone for calling with a Bluetooth headset

Stick to Kindle for a pure reading experience. Go for a table for all your non-reading needs. Reading on a backlit screen is really not good for eyes and you would end up with eye fatigue very soon. I've been using the Kindle touch Wifi since the last 3-4 months and have read around 5-6 books on it and trust me, it does make you forget at times that you are reading on an electronic device. The reading experience is as close to a book as possible.

To really understand Tablet vs eReader, you need to read an entire book in a day in both. see how you feel. Trust me you will see the difference!

The backlit problem is not as bad if you can get a proper application which lets you set the background and font color and brightness as on my mobile I set background black and font bright gray with low brightness say 20%
Trust me except for small font size due to small screen of mobile there was absolutely no problem..........I read the entire Parker Series in a week :)

---------- Post added at 11:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:53 PM ----------

hahahari 's idea is best

FYI - Read about the Glowlight (Nook Simple Touch with GlowLight review -- Engadget)

This is something of a breakthrough happening in the world of eReaders. I am assuming Kindle will not be far behind with this innovation and would go a step further with similar screens but in color. So either you can wait or just pick up the reader based on when and how you would be doing most of the reading. If you are not worried about lack of light (reading at night), then Kindle would suit you just fine. It has a wonderful company backing it up, but if you'd end up spending a lot of time reading at night with a table lamp next to you then I think the glowlight is something of an advantage.

BTW - Also think about the break even point e.g. if I were you, I'd go for the Kindle right away instead of waiting. By the time the new reader is out, I am sure, I'd have read at least 20-30 odd books on the Kindle. Given the average price of books is around 300 bucks, you'd have recovered the cost of the Kindle before you end up buying a new one !

I dunno how I never saw this thread. @asingh, I have 2 kindles, Kindle touch and kindle KB, which has been discontinued now.

Now, if you read mostly fiction, an ereader is for you. If you read pdf and/or study books, references etc., a 10" tablet is for you. You decide what you need. Dont go for a 7" tab if you read pdf or reference books as the experience wont be pleaseing what with zooming and all.

Kindle or nook or Sony PRS-T1 are the best ereaders around. Out of these, I chose Kindle because:
1) ebooks are relatively cheaper (thrillers, science fiction, fantasy, in short fiction)
2) WHISPERSYNC (believe me, once you have used it, you would know what you are missing. It syncs up the last read position of your ebook across all devices. You can read an ebook on kindle, continue reading on the phone with the kindle app, and then move onto a tablet with the kindle app, and when you are at work and when you dont have these devices, get on amazon.com and use their cloud reader right from where you had left)... How cool is that!!!!
3) Whispersync does not only work from the books bought from Amazon but also for the otehr books that you wanna read. Details I ll get you later when and if you decide to get this
4) mobi is a no frills format. Its just an enhanced html and epub -(some not so required features) google it. In the end, due to the 3 points above, this point does not even matter

Now, your dilemma would be that with an ereader you can only read ebooks, but with a tab, you would be able to do a lot more. Ask yourself this. How much time do you spend on airports/train stations/bus depots whatever? If more than 2 3 hours and if you dont want a headache that people get when exposed to LCD screens for too long, then obviously a tab wont be good enough. Also, I think that an ereader and a smartphone is the best combo anyways. ereader will never cause you any eye strain or headaches.. And given these times, when we spend so much time in front of LCD (backlit) screens, do we really need another LCD backlit ereader?

Get a kindle and you will never look back... or any other ereader..

Last edited by a moderator:
WHISPERSYNC (believe me, once you have used it, you would know what you are missing. It syncs up the last read position of your ebook across all devices. You can read an ebook on kindle, continue reading on the phone with the kindle app, and then move onto a tablet with the kindle app, and when you are at work and when you dont have these devices, get on amazon.com and use their cloud reader right from where you had left)... How cool is that!!!!

Now this is a very nice feature ! I dont have an e-reader or a tablet,
But i read atleast 3 hours everyday , changing between my phone and netbook, and its a headache to find the exact position where you left in the other device, we end up wasting time!

I am looking for a 2nd hand E-reader though!
My reading is always in the night , so if i get a kindle , will it be more comortable than my netbook screen?

Whispersync is awesome to say the least. I have used it so many times, from my Kindle to the phone to my other phone and back to my Kindle.

Now this is a very nice feature ! I dont have an e-reader or a tablet,
My reading is always in the night , so if i get a kindle , will it be more comortable than my netbook screen?

Just read for 3 hours on netbook and read for 3 hours on a normal paperback. If you feel the difference, you will get the answwer. 3 hours of reading everyday belongs to the territory of necessarily having an ereader if you dont read paperbacks (or, in other words, if you use netbook or any other LCD based device which you do). So, yeah, please do your eyes a favor and either read normal paper books or please get an ereader. The base model of Kindle would not cost you more than 7K including shipping from junglee.com. Cheaper deals can be found on ebay. Hope this helps...

Back