CPU/Mobo Excessive vcore, help with fixing

H2O

Skilled
So my setup is
Processor- AMD x2 240 (Stock)
Motherboard - Asus M2N68-AM PLUS
RAM - 2GB DDR2 800
GPU - XFX HD4650.

I'm having this problem with excessive temperatures and I've realized that the vcore is too high for my processor and even with all the features for Cool'n Quiet enabled the processor voltage never goes down and it never underclocks.

I've currently set the Vcore to Power saving in the BIOS option because that is the only setting available. Under normal circumstances the Vcore would be 1.4+

Here is a screenshot of HWMonitor, please help.

[attachment=10544:17482.attach]

Attachments

• stats.JPG
    stats.JPG
    57.2 KB · Views: 140
try undervolting ur processor from bios if u feel ur vcore is too high....

but be sure to do it in little steps...

1) reduce vcore very little

2) save settings login windows run stress tests

if ur pc holds up then repeat the above procedure....do this untill u get ur desire voltage or u start getting bsod's or errors.....

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

what u r experiencing is known as vrise which is opposite of vdroop i believe...

How did that happened?

1.4 is too much bro i mean really too much, just set it to 1.1 or something manually or their may be an option in BIOS (SET TO DEFAULT) just select that and save and exit.

vrise is quite common and even at default settings it can occur...so op if u r already at default settings try undervolting...it won't harm ur components in any way.....

hmm....Have you used any userspace applications at any point such as AMD overdrive or some other overclocking utility?Maybe you did not uninstall it properly.

Just try to find out if it's windows which is causing the problem or if its a BIOS/Hardware problem.If you have a linux distribution installed you can check the voltages there.

Hi

I have an AMD Athlon X3 with a default vcore of 1.414 V. It is quite high indeed but that is something which the motherboard sets it when set to auto. I reduced it straight away to 1.3V and my temperatures dropped by 10 C.

Unlike raising voltages, i dont think there is any harm in reducing vcore by 0.1 volts at a time. It will surely bring your temps down. You can run coretemp under windows to check voltages later. Under no load it will be around 0.9V.

I'm using Windows XP.

My BIOS does not have the option to reduce the voltage. I don't think its a problem with anyinstalled software because I've checked the BIOS at the time of bootup and it reports the same. Some suggestions would be much appreciated. Would I have to RMA the board?

have you enabled "minimal power management" in your power settings in XP, by default this will not be selected hence it will stay at that vcore

if you not enabled go to control panel > power options > power schemes > select minimal power management in the power schemes drop down menu and then check your vcore and please post

cyber_cat said:
have you enabled "minimal power management" in your power settings in XP, by default this will not be selected hence it will stay at that vcore

if you not enabled go to control panel > power options > power schemes > select minimal power management in the power schemes drop down menu and then check your vcore and please post

I think this locks the computer to the lowest multiplier.You'll lose performance.

@OP.I think you should give AMD overdrive a shot.You can lower the voltage there.

cyber_cat said:

I tried but it did not work.
asingh said:
I doubt then you can lower the vCore, since the BIOS has no setting.

You are correct sir.
nuke'em said:
I think this locks the computer to the lowest multiplier.You'll lose performance.

@OP.I think you should give AMD overdrive a shot.You can lower the voltage there.

I can't get AMD overdrive to work since my motherboard has an Nvidia chipset, is there anyway to by pass this?

Do not all these 3rd party tools just harness the BIOS layer, so if the BIOS does not have the capability it cannot be done from the desktop.

I once had the same mobo with X2 240 and had experienced the same. Even with CnQ, the vcore was too high normally 1.4+. And the CPu temps were always around 38~43c at idle, maybe due to the high vcore. Tried updating the bios 3~4 times (each time newer version) but that didnt help. That chipset is outdated and is really crappy. That mobo cant handle even an oc of 100 mhz. Sell off the mobo and go for a 740G mobo (~2.4k). Or sent it for rma saying the vcore is too high and cpu is always overheating. I got a replacement mobo that was a ddr3 one m4n68 t which is slightly better in that vcore aspect.

Anyway, I found a work around after a certain amount of Googling. I'm using this utility called K-10 stat and have lowered the voltage down to 1.2. Temp's have reduced by 20 degrees so yea, it seems anybody with an AMD processor should try this as it helps in configuring Cool'n Quiet.

Back