Extend the range of WRT54G2

Ok Guys I need to Extend the range of WRT54G2.I was able to connect my laptop but signal is poor and disconnects often :(
I am looking for a cheap solution.
Extending Through a cat5 cable is ruled out :no:
Range Extenders are costly :(
What i am looking here is extending my wifi range though another router/cheap reapeater without running a cat5 cable.
Has Anyone done it before :huh:
Thanks in Advance Guys.

What's the distance in question?? Have you tried changing the channel and the advanced wireless settings?? Also, make sure you're running the latest firmware. If you aren't, make sure you reset and reconfigure the router after upgrading to the latest firmware.

Edrill said:
What's the distance in question?? Have you tried changing the channel and the advanced wireless settings?? Also, make sure you're running the latest firmware. If you aren't, make sure you reset and reconfigure the router after upgrading to the latest firmware.

I am running with latest software tried changing channel but no use so i think DD-WRT firmware will be my last option :(

Have you also tried changing the advanced wireless settings?? If you already have, then DD-WRT is worth a shot.

get another router,, use as a bridged repeater

it's pretty easy to setup...although it will reduce you wireless thoroughput by half

superczar said:
get another router,, use as a bridged repeater
it's pretty easy to setup...although it will reduce you wireless thorough put by half

I am interested in bridged repeater rather than DD-WRT firmware
@superczar : which router would be ideal.have u been successful in having a another router has bridged repeater.I am ok the thorough put.

What superczar said is to use another router as a bridged repeater. This is possible on a WRT54G/GL using DD-WRT firmware. Some Buffalo routers can be configured this way too, also using DD-WRT firmware. A repeater would be more expensive then picking up a WRT54G/GL or a Buffalo router.

@superczar : which router would be ideal.have u been successful in having a another router has bridged repeater.I am ok the thorough put.

yup, it's pretty easy..

i had a spare router running in bridged mode for over a month till I ran a cable (to increase thorughput)

basically my net connection is via a Tata EVDO USB modem.. I get far better speeds when the modem is in the balcony..however, my existing router (and the associated wires) are far away from the balcony

what I did was used a spare router and bridged it with the existing one

although it works very well, the fallout is that the theoretical thoroughput drops to 27mbps and real life speeds are like 8-10 mbps

for the choice of router, you need t have at least one of the routers capable of running DD-WRT (Since I have not seen the default firmware on any basic home router supporting it) ..if your existing router supports it, get any other cheap router

Guys, i have just installed wrt54g2 in my house. It doesnt work in one of my bedrooms. I badly want it to work there.

Have come across various things over net like adding an antenna or flashing firmware to tomato or dd-wrt.

Since my router has internally anntenna, adding/ modigfying and antenna is not possible so will dd-wrt or tomato work to extend the range of my router? Please help and also comment if any one is using either of these firmware.

Regards

VISHAL

u can easily extend the range using Wireless access point.
It will be best solution.
If u need access point then let me know ... i have 1 ...
will give u best price. :hap2:

Installed DD-WRT v24-sp2 (10/10/09) micro on my WR54G2 V1.

Now can some one suggest me a cheap router (old/new) to extend my range.

Which is the best way WDS or through Repeated mode.

Back