PC Peripherals Extending WiFi range With second WiFi router and LAN cable. Help !!!!!!!!

What did you end up doing ? I have this similar issue happening after I changed the location of my router - a Synology rt2600ac. I am having wifi drops in another room. I cannot drag an ethernet cable and don't want to deal with the usual issues that come with wifi range extenders. Is there any other option available ?

Thanks all
Is C60 good than C6
Do we actually need gigabit lan port I mean do we have items that use it.

Did you finally complete the setup ?
Normally the Archer has an inbuilt Access point mode. So to setup you can follow the steps:

Main router ->
Plug the CAT6 cable to one of the Ethernet ports.

Second Router ->
Change it's IP address to something different than the first one.
Plug the CAT6 cable to it's WAN port
Under the quick setup (mention Access Point mode)
Keep the same Wifi name and password.

In case, you are not using the Archer, but other router which don't have AP feature, can suggest you to plug the Ethernet cable to any of the LAN port.
Keep the same WiFi name and password, and on Internet type just select Dynamic IP. Disable DHCP. This way the router simply works as a switch with Wireless capability.

With same WiFi name and password, your devices will automatically associate with the stronger signal.

I have had both the above configs in my use. Before used a old router, then I changed to Archer.
BTW, it's better if you go with a Gigabit port.
Post automatically merged:

What did you end up doing ? I have this similar issue happening after I changed the location of my router - a Synology rt2600ac. I am having wifi drops in another room. I cannot drag an ethernet cable and don't want to deal with the usual issues that come with wifi range extenders. Is there any other option available ?

You can look into Powerline systems which uses existing power lines to transit ethernet.

I read that they are pretty much dependant on the quality of your power wiring and what appliances sit between them. And that they need to plug directly to the power line outlet. Do they work well with the kind of dirty power wiring we have ?

I read that they are pretty much dependant on the quality of your power wiring and what appliances sit between them. And that they need to plug directly to the power line outlet. Do they work well with the kind of dirty power wiring we have ?

Hi, I've never used this system. Since you mentioned you were looking for options other than wireless extender and LAN cable, hence thought it could be an option to explore. I too have the same concerns you mentioned, along with that internet theft? Like say you installed this in your apartment, it might be possible that your neighbor can also tap into it if they have a receiver. A lot of doubts in this. Personally, my preference is always a LAN cable connecting the two routers. Wifi extenders would pull up some bandwidth for their intra-communication (extender-router) which could have used for transmitting data.

Right now... My primary router us TOLINK W841N 300mbps....

Secondary or extended router is TP LINK C60 IT IS CONNECTED with cat 5e Ethernet cable

It's working fine.

However both router are old and end of life model.
Both does not have mesh, gigabit support.. which is a letdown.

This setup i will change in future may be un a month . And get a good primary router which is used to connect to is.

I am thinking about Archer A7 or C7 or A9 or the latest c80..
Or Ax 10

Ax standard is still very new and will take at least another 3 to 5 year to become maibstream

Back