External 1TB SSD needed. Budget 8k.

Hi folks. I need an external SSD with 1TB space which can give transfer speeds of atleast 500MB/s. I was using a Crucial MX500 1TB in Orico Transparent Case. It gave maximum sequential speeds of 300MB/s, don't know why, tried 2 different USB 3.0 enclosures, same result both time. It gave sequential 500MB/s when connected to the motherboard via SATA, so I ruled out anything wrong with the SSD and concluded that SATA to USB3 enclosures are causing the bottleneck.

I am planning to repurpose the SSD in another PC and will be needing a new 1TB external SSD. I'm not sure what to buy. NVMe enclosures are too expensive but they should not bottleneck the SSD speeds, right? Please suggest me a m.2 SSD (either SATA or NVMe) + Enclosure OR 2.5inch SSD + Enclosure so that I get atleast 500MB/s in sequential writes. Budget for everything is 8k. Can stretch a little bit.

I have a generic NVMe enclosure but I specifically purchased it based on the Realtek controller that is used in more expensive enclosures and is actually better than the cheaper ones used in the Orico NVMe enclosures. Presently, using it with a Western Digital SN530 1TB SSD that has few TBs written on it (can share the details).

The sequential speed for sustained writes is above 750 MB/s and can possibly go higher, but for the heat (SSD also has a thermal pad attached). Let me know if you are interested.

You know, USB 3.0 has a theoretical max speed of 600MBps (4.8Mbps)& reality is slower than that. I don't think I have heard of USB 3.0 hitting close to 500 MBps, heard like realistically it can go up to 400MBps (maybe I'm missing something).

So 300MBps is fine IMO.

You know, USB 3.0 has a theoretical max speed of 600MBps (4.8Mbps)& reality is slower than that. I don't think I have heard of USB 3.0 hitting close to 500 MBps, heard like realistically it can go up to 400MBps (maybe I'm missing something).

So 300MBps is fine IMO.
Depends on the age of the device but the retrospectively named USB 3.2 Gen 1 (USB-A) supports 5 Gbps or 625 MB/s whereas first gen USB-C (as also next gen USB-A) i.e. USB 3.2 Gen 2 supports 10 Gbps. So, 300 MBps is not fine.

Depends on the age of the device but the retrospectively named USB 3.2 Gen 1 (USB-A) supports 5 Gbps or 625 MB/s whereas first gen USB-C (as also next gen USB-A) i.e. USB 3.2 Gen 2 supports 10 Gbps. So, 300 MBps is not fine.
USB 3.2 Gen 2 is not the same as USB 3.0. While at it, I can throw around Thunderbolt 3 with 40Gbps bandwidth. Also, there are USB 2.0 type C devices.

Your caddy is USB 3.0, not 3.2 Gen 2, assuming you have a 3.2 Gen 2 port it will still be limited to 3.0.

I have a generic NVMe enclosure but I specifically purchased it based on the Realtek controller
Does it support TRIM and SMART properly? If so please share the link.

My experience is similar. I have a Transcend M.2 SATA enclosure which uses USB 3.1 Gen 1 (Same as 3.0). The highest I've seen it go is ~390MBps. Usually sits around 340MBps. The same SSD when in a laptop comfortably goes above 500.

I was under the impression that the slowest USB3 is theoretically rated at 5Gbps (625MBps) so it shouldn't give less than half of its rated speeds. Orico might have cheaped out on the controller.

I have a generic NVMe enclosure but I specifically purchased it based on the Realtek controller that is used in more expensive enclosures and is actually better than the cheaper ones used in the Orico NVMe enclosures. Presently, using it with a Western Digital SN530 1TB SSD that has few TBs written on it (can share the details).
Yes, please share the product page/link here. Thanks.

So i also have a orico transparent NVME with a WD sn550 1TB NVME drive , i am able to max out the USB C 3.0 port at 1000Mbps speeds.

Yup i use it as a Steam drive as games don't care much on load times once you cross 1000 mbps reads and as a personal backup external drive so that all imp data can be unplugged/carried in an emergency.

But drive plus case will work out to about 11k

Hi folks. I need an external SSD with 1TB space which can give transfer speeds of atleast 500MB/s. I was using a Crucial MX500 1TB in Orico Transparent Case. It gave maximum sequential speeds of 300MB/s, don't know why, tried 2 different USB 3.0 enclosures, same result both time. It gave sequential 500MB/s when connected to the motherboard via SATA, so I ruled out anything wrong with the SSD and concluded that SATA to USB3 enclosures are causing the bottleneck.

I am planning to repurpose the SSD in another PC and will be needing a new 1TB external SSD. I'm not sure what to buy. NVMe enclosures are too expensive but they should not bottleneck the SSD speeds, right? Please suggest me a m.2 SSD (either SATA or NVMe) + Enclosure OR 2.5inch SSD + Enclosure so that I get atleast 500MB/s in sequential writes. Budget for everything is 8k. Can stretch a little bit.
Go with these two as a combination:
1. Adata XPG Gammix S5 1TB M.2 NVMe @ 7k
2. ORICO Transparent -Free USB3.1 Type-C Gen2 10Gbps to m.2 SSD Enclosure for Intel 660p NVMe m-Key SSD up to 2TB @ 2.5k

Back