Monitors External monitor says "Input out of range"

raksrules

Elite
I have started working from office and wanted to have an external monitor. My office only has Lenovo 15 inch or so monitors with VGA connection. I got a HDMI to VGA adapter to connect my laptop to this monitor.
The connection works, as in, the monitor acknowledges that there is something connected but read a message "Input out of range". Google says it is due to monitor not being able to handle the resolution that was sent from laptop.
But laptop doesn't even see the external monitor. When connecting the cables there is flicker on laptop which means laptop realizes an external display is connected but in the display settings, there is no 2nd monitor mentiones.
I even tried to reduce resolution (from 1366x768 which is my laptop resolution) to 800x600 just to see if it works but all it did was lower resolution on laptop screen and nothing on external monitor.

Anyone has any idea how to fix this?

When you connect to the external, what Multiple display option is selected in your laptops display options?

1707416850026.png

Try with Extend these display options where you can actively have both the screen working and from within laptops/windows display settings you can lower the monitors resolution and even refresh rate. Ideally set the resolution to 1024*768 @50/59 or max 60Hz refresh rate as a test and then increase the resolution until it gets unstable again.

Also, from your monitors hardware menu button, you can reset everything to default and even this should work.

Last edited:
Just wanted to update everyone that I was able to fix this. There was no way for me to change the resolution of the output monitor (basically resolution out putted by hdmi), but I played around with the refresh rate and that somehow fixed it.

Back