OC & Modding Extreme overclocking project

Shripad

ex-Mod
Hello Guys.
I have decided to go ahead with my long planned extreme overclocking project as i have the DFI now which is specifically arranged for this project by guru3d.

My original Plan was to go LN2 cooling. Remember that this is not suppose to be a 24x7 configuration. Rather temp. record setting experiment.
I have access to LN2 so thats no big deal.

But more i am thinking about it more i am becomming unsure if its the way to go.
I think better suited will be a phase change or Dry ice +ethenol or acetone which is much safer to handle compared to LN2.

So anyone having links to technical data, designs regarding this please pitch in with links or your suggestions. I am also searching on the net but if more pople are there a lot more info can be aquired.

There is no fixed time frame on this. Its gona be 1 long project. Also to do test runs i have a barton and a7n8x mobo.

And ya This is not a joke i am perfectly aware that there is gona be damage to components and stuff like that but i am willing to take that chance.

I will maintain a photo log of the entire experiment here and also guru3d.
Planning to start some work from next week.
someone gota do this in India right? ;)

I was talking with Funky about this , first i was a bit OMG here ppl are using aircooling & very few use watercooling but LN2 is one of its kind here in our country.

Way to go Funky :hap2:

Funky u can ask Darky if u both would like to try this out.

Also we have some gr8 members here on TE which can also provide valuable suggestions.

u have teh block?? i had seen some DIY LN2 block designs that clicked.....

too bad youre in mumbai :(

What would be the objective?
Is there a OC limit you will want to achieve or a temperature you need to get down to. Extreme OC is a concept. Are you looking at breaking the 7G barrier
I think if you have a clear objective that would make us more focussed..
This sounds very very interesting and i would be able to get you the CPU and board to blow :eek:hyeah:
Great stuff man. i am working an NL2 rig myself, but not NL2 but Freon or equivalent. I trying to get the pipes to be really small. since i need a solution which can be duplicated - my worry is condensation in a closed chassis. I want a closed chassis.
Let me know how i can help.

Ummm....when i had water, 2.05V temps below 45*, hit the CPU limit..a 0.075V increase (1.975V to 2.05V), just 1MHz increase....

funky, if u planning on using the N8X Dlx, its just a waste of time :p asus has a overvolt protection, it stops ur CPU from crossing 2.1V..mine restarted as soon as voltages touched 2.075-2.08...no workaround :(

the WR for AXP chips is the XP-M 2400+, which has hit 3.2GHz at 2.25V :O which is impossible on the N8X Dlx. simple as that.

well. no there is no specific limit in the mind. Neither you or me can tell exact limit the procesor can overclock no matter what the cooling.
The aim is to push Athlon 64 to limits which are clearly impossible with air or normal water cooling.
i have arranged the PCB laquor and foam and it should be here by this weekend. This is ordered to protect the pcb from condensation.

i have 2 things to play with before the final go on the A64 machine. It has to be A64 machine in the end. But before i move to that machine i have a 3200+ barton-a7n8x mobo and p4 2.6C-p4p800 dlx combo to try some things on.

I am trying to get 1 more A64 processor for this experiment as there is high probability of processor being rendered useless after the experiment.

I talked with few Air conditioning assemblers and noone is able to help me put together a small refridgeration unit. One guy understood what i wana do and he is atleast trying to help.

^^^ Hmmm...i had collected some AC block designs...i'll search and tel;ll ya more abt it soon.....

a refridgerator compressor will be cheap and a overkill (lol!) i have made plans for these..hehehe....

tehre was this simple block design, any lathe can mae it..specially for AC cooling....

the problem with refridgeraion unit is complex nature of the process and cost.
Its preety high. Dry ice and acetone squash is easy to obtain and use. And as of now i am not looking for 24x7 solution. So i am almost certain i am gona go ahead with dry ice and acetone.
Getting DRY ice is easier than what i though it would be when i inquired about it.

Are we setting any specific targets on the athlon64 - like which model will you try and how far do you propose to go.
Like take the AMD 3000+ to 3 GHz or start with the FX and take it to 5 G :)
..also..what about memory..will that not limit your OC.

memory issue is solved.
I am getting Masky's OCZ. he will be shipign it tomorrow mostly.
Processor will be mostly SD3700+ which i will get on monday. FX is mostly outa question and budget.
Single person cannot afford it. atleast not me.

Not touching 3000+ for this project. Its gona be purchased by quadmaster and i dont wana mess the processor which i have promised to sell him.
The 3000+ has already done 2925 on air ;) so if i am to use that i will expect a lot more from it. But i dont think Quad will be too keen to put this CPU through this and also this project is gona take considerable time.
I am gona place order for 2L A-R grade acetone tomorrow. Then lets see what happens next. Mostly its my P4 who is gona suffer first :p

Cool stuff Funky.
Please let me know how you go about it.
Why are you not considering Ethyl Alcohol ? with Dry Ice ?
i was contemplating on that.I had even found a source who would make the container along with the base plate with full copper.Also i was planning to apply White Petroleum Jelly or simply vaseline to avoid condensation.
Well mine was a more crude planning,may be you will be more refined and hence achieve better results.
Best Of luck.
If you need any help from me, let me know.

Back