Extremely annoying Issue! (Numpad 7)

MastAadmii

Recruit
I am facing this issue where suddenly and randomly, '7' starts getting entered on the screen automatically and it doesn't stop. After which I am not able to use any other key. I thought something was wrong with my external keyboard which I have connected to my laptop.
But it's not an issue in the keyboard AND THE WORSE THING IS, MY LAPTOP DOESN'T HAVE A NUMPAD. The only way to stop this issue right now is for me to start hitting multiple keys on laptop with good amount of force which is not a safe option.

Using multiple key press software I found that, it is the Numpad key and not the number key below the functions key row.

As soon as I disabled the Numpad key 7 through SharpKeys the issue stopped coming.

Can anybody advise what can be done to resolve this issue? It is really frustrating.

Seems like your laptop's keyboard has some issues which is causing this. Try using a blower to clean the same. Numpad function is present in most laptops but no dedicated keys are present. The numlock typically converts some other set of keys to work as a numpad.

Sounds like some key on the laptop has become stuck or having loose contact. Take it to your local repair-shop and check it.
Meanwhile, as you are having an external keyboard, disable the internal keyboard using Windows Device Manager, and work exclusively on the external keyboard.

I am facing this issue where suddenly and randomly, '7' starts getting entered on the screen automatically and it doesn't stop. After which I am not able to use any other key. I thought something was wrong with my external keyboard which I have connected to my laptop.
But it's not an issue in the keyboard AND THE WORSE THING IS, MY LAPTOP DOESN'T HAVE A NUMPAD. The only way to stop this issue right now is for me to start hitting multiple keys on laptop with good amount of force which is not a safe option.

Using multiple key press software I found that, it is the Numpad key and not the number key below the functions key row.

As soon as I disabled the Numpad key 7 through SharpKeys the issue stopped coming.

Can anybody advise what can be done to resolve this issue? It is really frustrating.

this is quite a common issue with esp. laptop-keyboards which i've experienced over the years with multiple laptops (occurs relatively sooner in new models than it used to in old models earlier). technicians usually explain it as 'keyboard/key-shorting', and recommend replacement of keyboard. like others said, would suggest to pay a visit to your local pc-tech. who knows he might be able to rectify the issue without the need for replacement.

I don't know if the keyboard needs to be replaced as opposed to given a good clean which will require disassembly. That is time-consuming so they recommend replacing it.

One way to delay this is to use a silicone keyboard cover at the outset to prevent any spills or dust from getting in and interfering with the contacts.

Back