FDI in Retail!

Even the sign-off is timed well for the current political situation.

No one, is actually doing a good deed for the nation, the nays or the yays. It is selfish and political. As usual expect a mess+corruption similar to Telecom/Nuclear Energy/Defense Armaments/Games Villages.

Dogs will be dogs --- end of the day. Will keep this thread updated though, will daily proceedings.

This act will have negative impact on customers too. The prices of the branded items will not come down for us, but on other side non- branded items like grains,fruits,vegetables will cost more as there will be standard rates rather than current situation where rates vary from locality to locality.

or else Big retailers will try to reduce price by lowering the quality with malpractices like adultration,etc.

So in the end i feel customers will loose in the long run.

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk

techno_guy said:
This act will have negative impact on customers too. The prices of the branded items will not come down for us, but on other side non- branded items like grains,fruits,vegetables will cost more as there will be standard rates rather than current situation where rates vary from locality to locality.

or else Big retailers will try to reduce price by lowering the quality with malpractices like adultration,etc.

So in the end i feel customers will loose in the long run.

If the stuff is significantly more expensive or lower quality then people will simply not go there

And I dont mind paying a few percent extra to have a hassle free experience

After best price came at least all our hostel supplies are not bought from best price.
Electronic stuff are expensive, but thing like Maggie lays, blank classmate notebooks are cheaper there.
Also price of Vegitables and fruits are reasonable. Rice and dals prices varies alot so I don't have idea of them but since we buy ghee, butter, suger etc from there the dals/grains are also not bought from them except wheat.
A price I remember : lays 20 rs packet costs about 17-18 rs.

Another thing the store is not for consumers right now, you have to show them that you own a shop and you are buying stuff to sell, just need a registered shop license or what ever it is.

(typing on I pod is hard) next time when i go here will try to take some pics of price and stuff.

Most people commit a minor fraud by saying the stuff they are shipping is not for sale/ not purchased and mark it as a "gift"

Another thing the store is not for consumers right now, you have to show them that you own a shop and you are buying stuff to sell, just need a registered shop license or what ever it is.

I'm just guessing, but having this type of a restriction would lead to the opposite type of fraud IMO

Is the restriction due to govt. rules or of thier own choice?

There are measures in place to keep the prices low. The big retail chains will have to find better sources with higher quality to justify the higher price or lose the small players who can provide the same goods at cheaper prices. Something like the difference b/w shell petrol and IOC petrol (Not considering the current state where shell is actually cheaper). I beleive it gives the power back to the consumer.

POWER TO THE POOR SOULS(Us, the customers)!!!

Reading through the thread, there are certainly some excellent points.
While I ain't an economist and for certain can't predict the outcome, i whole heartedly look forward to these multi brand retailers making shopping a hassle free and enjoyable experience.
Nowadays, the local shopkeepers (kiranawallas) think they are doing us a favor by letting us buy commodities from them. They have no idea how to talk to a customer (sometimes even hurling abuses for something as petty as 20 bucks) or respect another human being. Owing a Mother Dairy franchise doesn't make you the king of the world. :mad:
Time to tell these a**holes to suck it ! :clap:

I, for one, am happy that Maharashtra govt. is not opposed to this move.. Can't wait for Walmart/ *insert favorite multi-brand chain here* to open in Pune :D

As per what i read today these large shops like walmart,etc will open their outlets in outskirtd of the city to save investment in buying land, especially when in mumbai and delhi property rates are so high. but this does not make sense at all. If they are far away from residence areas then why will the consumer burn petrol and waste time just to save a few bucks. Then maybe the trend of shopping all the groceries once in the month may come up. And also people will have to start buying canned and packed foods to ensure longer storage.

But as long as the big ones buy from indian farmers they may not cause much harm to the economy. But if they start importing or outsourcing stuffs then there will be huge loss the overall economic development in long term.

But yes in consumer electronics sector Fdi will be benificary because the prices are hell high in stores like croma, reliance digital Even S2 is sold for 30k there !!

this model will be succesful only in Tier II cities since land is reasonably priced . so the acquisition of land for walmart etc. or for setting up a big store coul be feasible for them .
if they try to setup something similar here in mumbai they would have to invest loads of $ and to recover that amount they might end up to be similar in pricing to other indian retaliers.

i would have wanted multi brand retail to have more FDI.
then buying electronic goods would be cheaper i guess.

else this rule now should facilitate stores like apple, GUCCI etc where words like VFM does not exist in their dictionary. :-[

Government is in a log-jam. Most states have refused it. Till Monday Modi was in, now he is out. Some of the coalition forces have gone as far as to refute the Winter session if the FDI ruling is not reverted.

asingh said:
Government is in a log-jam. Most states have refused it. Till Monday Modi was in, now he is out. Some of the coalition forces have gone as far as to refute the Winter session if the FDI ruling is not reverted.

may be because many gujjus are there in small scale retail sector.

If he does not oppose then bjp would be out of power in next gujarat elections

S P Tulsian - FDI IN RETAIL

FDI IN RETAIL – THE WORLD AT YOUR DOORSTEP

By RumaDubey

Two good decisions in two days. If this mood of gloom and doom had not persisted, these would have led to a boom! First the announcement of an able successor to Ratan Tata and then the much awaited Cabinet nod to increase in FDI in retail – 51% in mutli brand and 100% in single brand.

For the layman, what this news means is that there will be more malls and for those a little bit better informed it will mean India could soon have the likes of Ikea, Wal-Mart, Starbucks, Tesco, Carrefour , Staples, Gas and many more such retail chains setting shop. More choices, more shopping. Ahoy consumerism!

But before we get out our shopping bags and debit cards, it would be best to get more informed about this FDI approval.

What is multi brand retail and single brand retail?

A super market, hyper market, the likes of Big Bazaar, SahakariBhandar, Apna Bazaar and Shoppers Stop are examples of multi brand retail. It is like a one stop shop for many brands. On the other hand single brand is essentially just one brand under one shop – like Titan Showroom or Tag Heur ,Koutons, Fab India. But sometimes there is an overlap – you may find brands like Titan or Tag Heur or say, designer Anita Dongre even in these hyper markets. Thus some exist both, in single as well as multi brand. And that is where the definition needs to be cleared up.

Does this mean we will see money come pouring in from tomorrow?

Not really. This is a door which has been opened up and it is upto the foreign players to chalk out their entry. Given the current turmoil in Europe, USA and around the world, though all would welcome this move, it may take a while to set the ball rolling. So the effect of this Cabinet nod will be seen only 2 to 3 years down the line. Also remember, setting shops would mean huge investments and more importantly, large tracts of land would be required. Finding space on the high street would definitely be a challenge

Will the kirana’s become a relic of the past?

Nah! Despite Big Bazaar and D-Mart, kirana’s have continued to thrive. How many local grocer shops have you seen shut down in your neighborhood? They will co-exist. India is unique in the sense that people will continue to do their day-to-day shopping at these local stores and malls will be an outing or will warrant buying when there are mega sales. Footfalls at malls are high but how many people really buy? When you need milk, do you rush to the local grocer or Big Bazaar? And home delivery of your half kilo dal and quarter kilo rice? Can a super market give you that? Thus proximity and that relationship built with the local stores will score over the lure of the malls. There are around 14 million small shops and none of them have downed shops, with many turning smarter and keeping up with the changing times. Even today, kirana shops at street corners account for 90% of $590 billion retailing in India and there is now way that this increased FDI will replace that. Does this mean that if Ikea comes, carpenters will go out of work? No way! Infact likes of Big Bazaar and Shoppers Stop need to worry when Wal-Mart or Tesco sets shop.

Will this FDI cause inflation?

Unlikely in big cities. After the coming of super markets, haven’t the cost of clothes and footwear gone down. Pulses and grains are also sometimes cheaper during the big sales. Multi-brand retail augmenting food supply chain will help build back-end infrastructure and though this will take time, it is sure to lead to price advantage.Opening the sector will increase competition and improve efficiencies and thus help bring down prices. It would become more about volumes than margins alone. The FDI approval has the essential caveat that procurement should be directly from the farmer. This would mean more money in the hands of the farmer, which is a very good thing and at the same time, it will bring down the gap between the farm-gate prices and what a consumer pays at the shops, which currently is almost double. Reliance Fresh has tied up directly with farmers and this has done away with intermediaries and thus brings down the margins.

FDI will increase unemployment?

First and foremost the premise of this fear, kirana’s going bust, is in itself at fault. Local shops will co-exist and these new and bigger malls will generate more jobs, not just in retail but in realty, construction and consultancy. Experts said the industry would need additional manpower of 15 to 30 million in 10 years. The industry currently employs 35 million people. As per a report on retailing, front-end and back-end operations, store operations, merchandising, logistics and distributions, marketing, procurement, purchase and corporate services are some of the jobs created. Currently, store operations employ 75 to 80% of the retail workforce, merchandising 5-8%, marketing 5-8% and others around 10 to 15%. As time goes and more investment comes in, more jobs will be created. Carrefour India's managing director, Jean Noel Bironneau, had said, “If Carrefour starts its retail operations in India, in about 10 years, we would provide direct and indirect employment opportunities to approximately 20,000 people in the stores itself.” But the road block will be getting quality manpower and training is where companies will have to invest big time.

Does a Cabinet nod mean it’s a law already?

It’s a long drawn process. After the Cabinet approves the Bill, it is introduced in Parliament. Every Bill goes through three Readings in both Houses before it becomes an Act. First reading is introduction of the Bill, second reading is consideration of the Bill and third reading is the passing where House votes on the redrafted Bill. If the Bill is passed in one House, it is then sent to the other House, where it goes through second and third readings. After approval from RajyaSabha and LokSabha, the Bill is presented to the President for assent. After the President gives assent, the Bill is notified as an Act. Subsequently, the Bill is brought into force and rules and regulations to implement the Act are framed by the concerned ministry, and tabled in Parliament.

Nah! Despite Big Bazaar and D-Mart, kirana’s have continued to thrive. How many local grocer shops have you seen shut down in your neighborhood?

The numbers may have dwindled a little bit, but I still get my veggies from Sabzi Mandis not Reliance Fresh, they sell crap over there :)

Nah! Despite Big Bazaar and D-Mart, kirana’s have continued to thrive. How many local grocer shops have you seen shut down in your neighborhood? They will co-exist. India is unique in the sense that people will continue to do their day-to-day shopping at these local stores and malls will be an outing or will warrant buying when there are mega sales. Footfalls at malls are high but how many people really buy? When you need milk, do you rush to the local grocer or Big Bazaar? And home delivery of your half kilo dal and quarter kilo rice? Can a super market give you that? Thus proximity and that relationship built with the local stores will score over the lure of the malls. There are around 14 million small shops and none of them have downed shops, with many turning smarter and keeping up with the changing times. Even today, kirana shops at street corners account for 90% of $590 billion retailing in India and there is now way that this increased FDI will replace that. Does this mean that if Ikea comes, carpenters will go out of work? No way! Infact likes of Big Bazaar and Shoppers Stop need to worry when Wal-Mart or Tesco sets shop.

This is what I believe so as well.. Indian society is totally different then west when it comes to buying stuff.. We don't unnecessary burn fuel to get that discount but would be happy to pay more at the local kirana stores. This is a political gimmick of unruly parties. Same thing they did when Reliance was lunching its stores. I still remember when Bajrang Dal attacked local Reliance Marts & thrashed employees. Now UMA Bharti & Mulayam Singh are telling that they will burn Walmart stores in India... :mad:

freshseasons1 said:
Yesterday when i visited my village , the rate of onions , tomatoes , vegetables ,grains being sold by farmers were 1/50th to the middle men, of what is being sold in the cities by middle men.
These are the leeches.

freshseasons1 said:
Trust me farmers in Vidharbha wants big chains like reliance fresh who earlier used to pickup the fruits and vegetables directly from them.
Sure

freshseasons1 said:
For every 300 Farmers there is one middleman .Check your figures. What will we do when there are no farmers left to cultivate.

Can we be all so shortsighted that we loose the basic economics of this chain.Don't the farmers of India have any right to live ?
You are asking whether farmers have a right to a livelihood. Thats like saying whether you have a right to do whatever it is you do for a living.

No, you do not nor do they have any right whatsoever.

freshseasons1 said:
Check your facts.Compare a farmer from US/UK/Europe and compare them to ours side by side. Aren't we missing something ?
Less than 5% of their population is involved in agriculture and they make enough to export. Whereas here we have 60% of our ppl in agriculture and still they cannot grow enough.

We need more efficieny in agriculture and less people in it.

Otherwise i think this FDI is long overdue but its too bad i come from BJP state so do not expect to see any foreign owned shops open in my city. Unless of course BJP just like other oppositoin parties are talking out of their side.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

kuki_295 said:
You are confusing two different things here. You are referring to Metro which is a cash & carry whereas the shops coming in are not like that. There will not be any rules telling you to buy 3 of any thing. Im guessing not seen the bill, it would be foolish otherwise.

I guess some of you do not know the history of these big malls in other countries.

Lets take the example of Germany. They used to have Kirana type stand alone shops in the 90's, called Tingleman..then the big guys came in, just like wallmart/Kmart or whatever. That was the end of the small, single shop owners in most areas. Remember that these guys come with years and years of experience in supply chain management, not like the big bazaars of India, who are relative new comers to the business. They can bring in a cost competitiveness that has never been seen in India till date.

For eg, one of the bigger malls in Bangalore, Mantri Mall has a store called Spar, which again comes with a lot of experience in large format/hypermarket retail. I urge some of you who have gone there to share your experiences. This place is sooo jam packed, that it takes atleast 30 minutes only waiting at the billing counter.

Metro would also have such kind of business, if they had been given the option to go retail, rather than wholesale. Anyway, this kind of large format stores are a boon for customers, but not so good for our vegetable/fruit markets, or single shop outlets.

There is going to be a whole lot of pain for them and a whole lot of happiness for customers, who have been used to walking around crowded and dirty markets to get good prices, with no sign of MRP's or bills of any nature. This is a huge loss for the government, due to loss of taxes as well.

mav2000 said:
I guess some of you do not know the history of these big malls in other countries.
Lets take the UK as an example.

How many corner shops as in the ones south asians own have you heard shutting down as a result of far more liberal policies to supermarkets ?

The political parties opposed to this move should say

"we will allow the stores to open, but those who support us shouldnt shop there"

and if they still find the stores successful, they shouldnt stand for the next election

Back