Linux Fedora 11 (Leonidas) Discussion Thread

Dark Star

ex-Mod
logo_fedora.png

Fedora 11 Leonidas Preview Released

This is the Fedora 11 Preview release, we're just a short time from releasing the full shebang. Therefore we need the most testing we can possibly get on this one. Major features: automatic font and mime-type installation; volume control with PulseAudio; Intel, ATI and NVIDIA kernel modsetting; fingerprint readers as an authentication mechanism; IBus input method system for Asian languages; ext4 file system; MinGW (Windows cross compiler

Highlights of Fedora 11 Alpha:

Notes : https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-test-list/2009-April/msg01631.html | http://docs.fedoraproject.org/release-notes/f11preview/en-US/

omg yet again fedora is on the cutting edge. and its also stable for the last couple of releases. ubuntu is risking being left in the dust and losing its number one spot in distro rankings... :(

Been running Fedora 10 for the past few months now waiting for 11. Annoying (but inconsequential) bug that keeps following me across every distro is that the screen flickers for a few seconds after the gnome logon prompt. I'm guessing it's an issue with the ancient 915 chipset on my laptop. Other than that, pretty smooth sailing. Been waiting to try out KDE 4.2 but I hear Fedora isn't the best way to do it.

Killer codename though. Leonidas: Ubuntu? This is FEDDDDDDDDORRRRRRRRA!.

It had to be said.

Just installed fedora 10 after the last try with fedora9.with Ubuntu ,I am so settled that ,I almost finds fedora somewhat tough with package management.but the Blue Colour and Gnome attracts me.I am searching for 64-bit rpms specifically and these rpm things are now showing up as .noarch.rpm with quiet a few packages.that's sad.Debian Rocks when it comes to package management

if its blue you want try installing the "blubuntu" related packages in ubuntu :p or just select an existing blue them in appearances applet. i got bored of brown and went blue for a while, but now im on "dust sand" theme :)

^Heck ,I already have Blubuntu ,using it before it was part of ubuntu(remember some guy created it hating the brown!)..somehow I like light blue colour more.. :) .my Ubuntu is slightly customized ,kind of like plain Debian.No brown - even when you log in(that can be done @ gdmsetup).

Rants for sure. Ubuntu is the most user-friendly distro as of now-and obviously top in numbers too.(yeah ,I have a fedora 10 install now).

^^I beg to differ.. Yes debian is good and ubuntu too.. But there are other distro much better than Ubuntu..

Its what money and advert.. making it popular :p

I have fedora 10 64-bit installed for some days now.the fcuking thing needs a lot of uninstall and with gnome-package-kit(yumex sucks!) I removed NetworkManager etc(remember Fedora package are case SeNsitive) and bash completion failed to find all packages installed.awright ,figured out with yum.they did a great thing with rpmfusion.

with yum update ,I have to press CTRL+C sometimes with repo(esp india madras IIT Fedora mirror is dead) to continue update.

Overall ,nice package -but Ubuntu ..OK yaar I won't bring Ubuntu/Debian name AGAIN! ;)

That reminds me, is there any way to make Fedora yumwhatever stick to a single mirror and not do its auto mirror scanning during package installation/updates? that annoys me.

I am planning on installing F11 beta when it comes out to check out the cool plymouth/nuoveau bling and virt manager. Ubuntu Jaunty is stable and getting boring now :D

^ It is possible.but you have to bear the pain of adding baseurl=http://path/to/the/repo format in every /etc/yum.repos.d/fedora-xx.repo files :( I won't be doing that.instead ,I installed this :
Code:
yum -y install yum-fastestmirror
some of the yum plugins are pure crap that if you got yumex installed ,it can't execute.buggy sh1t. :| there goes Deb...(No I stopped -I am controlling..
icon10.gif
)

Too lazy to go searching whether a thread for this already exists, so posting here:

=== What Happened Last Summer? ===

Paul W. Frields broke radio silence to provide[1] a detailed explanation of last August's (2008-08-12) security problem. Briefly, a Fedora Project systems administrator used a pass-phraseless SSH key. This was copied from the administrator's machine and used to gain access to Fedora infrastructure. Subsequently trojaned versions of OpenSSH and rpm were built and deployed on Fedora infrastructure. The investigation concludes that these packages were detected and removed before any rpms were built with them or distributed to Fedora users. The full, detailed communication includes a time-line.

Update and Report on Fedora August 2008 Intrusion

Back