Feedback on the PC Config for the software developer

rajshenoy

Disciple
Hi fellas

I am so happy to see the abundant knowledge in this community. i can expect good feedback for sure

I need some feedback to finalize my PC config

Requirement:
Software Development,Web design(requires working on images), Working on my home Video conversion. Running on Linux(Ubuntu 10.10)

Initial R&D:
1. Intel i3 has 4 parallel threads and is surely faster than phenom X2 555. X4 would surely make it tough for i3 though
2. I dont require a seperate graphic card for my needs

As i am not into much of Gaming, i feel that below options are all i need(save the money for my business instead). But if something is really required i might reconsider it.

Config:
Proc : Intel i3 540 5000
Mobo : Gigabyte GA-H55M-D2H (supports RAM upto 1600) 4500
RAM : Crosair 2x2GB DDR3 1333/1600 (which is better?) 3800/4300
HDD : Western digital 1TB with 64MB cache 2700
Monitor : BenQ 922 HDAL LED 5800
MIsc: Usual DVD drives, keyboard mouse,Cabinet,PSU etc

Total Price : about 24000.

Questions:
1. Do i need a seperate GPU ? since i am not a Gamer, i feel i don't need it. But working on web design involves working with images and clarity and high resolution is key for me
2. DDR3 1600, would it really make difference ? will it boost performance comparable to 3x2GB ? else i would be happy with 1333
3. I chose BenQ because it was one of the cheapest LED available. but i am concerned about the maximum display resolution that it has to offer. Do i have options in the 6K range which can offer me a resolution of 1600x or above ? not sure i can get LED + 1600x resolution in that range. Suggest a good monitor plz
4. I think for above config, i dont have to worry about cooling etc. so normal cheap cabinet+about 450W SMPS is what i am thinking(please correct me here)

I can see that the forum is full of AMD fans, so i am open for suggestion on AMD alternative as well.

I am also open for the AMD phenom 2 X4 945 BE which offers 4 Cores and pricing will only shoot up by less than couple of thousands. But chose intel purely because of my requirements. Open for suggestions though

With AMD, i guess i have to worry about better cooling, power etc etc which can make the price shoot up even more. is this correct ? I welcome alternate config as well. I am open for feedback in this area as well

Keep the suggestions flowing

Cheers

If this is not very urgent, IMHO it is better to wait till january for Intel sandybridge launch though i3 sandy bridge processors will be launched in Feb.
Just check the processsors launching in jan, you may find one for you.

Regarding monitor go for full HD panels. A good Full HD LCD panel is far better than mediocre LED panel.
As per your requirement, you don't need 1600 unless you overclock.
get yourself a good PSU at least FSP saga 2 or gigabyte & better go for corsair CX400 or CX430
for cabinet NZXT gamma is very VFM.

1.firstly amd perform better than intel on multi threaded applications.. this point is proven consistently. u would better go with a phenom II x4 processor 945 or 965 or x6depending on ur budget. advantages are amd is optimized for video editing and conversions. unless u game goin for intel is not worth the buck.

2. u will need a separate gpu. all video editing software including avid and adobe premiere now specifically require gpu's for processing. if only for editing and no games then i would suggest going for the nvidia quadro series

3.ddr3 1333 mhz or 1600mhz does not make a difference as far as multimedia editing is concerned. u require more quantity than speed. so 6gb ddr3 1333mhz is much much better than 4gb 1600mhz=4gb ddr3 1333mhz. this is bcoz while working with videos during previews of unfinalized clips ram is used more than hdd. further while converting in adobe premiere pro it uses almost 92% of 4gb ram!!:S

so i would suggest this

proc-phenom II x4 945-6.7k
board-MSI 880GMA E45 @ 5.5k
ram-ddr3 4gb-3500
hdd-seagate 1tb @ 2700 - otherwise optimum is wd caviar black 1tb @ 4700

after this u have to decide the budget and go for a suitable gpu.

My two cents on this matter:

1) Unless you are a game developer/Gamer/Blue-ray enthusiast, you don't need a GPU for your development needs. If you can extend your budget and accommodate a GPU then I'll ask to save the effort and go for a better processor and motherboard. Instead of an i3, go for an i5 if you can.

I am not saying you don't need a GPU at all, I am just saying go for an IGP solution at present and if you feel not having a GPU is becoming a constraint in terms of development or other needs, you can always get it later.

2) DDR3 @1333 Is sufficient, you wont even notice if you upgrade to 1600MHz(Unless you're a gamer), Performance/cost ratio tilts in favor of 1333. More memory is advisable than faster memory at same price point.

3) Most of the manufacturers offer 1600*900 resolution in the 20" range. According to online prices, you can get a decent 20" screen for 5800-6000. e.g. AOC (2036sa) or a Philips 20". Monitors are the most neglected piece of hardware - you'll usually upgrade one if your current one fails so go for a true HD resolution if you can afford one (usually 22"+ but do check the specifications ) unless you want to remain married to the sub 1600*900 spec you're talking about for next 5 years.

4) I think for any configuration one has to worry about the dirty electricity that is available in India. If you're using a cheap PSU, I guarantee that it will fail numerous times over the next few years, sometimes taking some of the hardware with them. If you are investing in such high end hardware, I'll suggest atleast having a 80+ certified PSU. FSP provides good value.

5) About the AMD option, I'll say It all depends on the personal taste. At every price point you get about the same performance form both the chip-makers for your current set of applications, but If you are an over-clocker or a gamer AMD gives you more thrills for your buck. In terms of cooling AMD chips run cooler than Intel chips at the moment, however AMD consumes a little more power as the rated TDPs are higher, but then it differs from chip to chip and you can't make such sweeping statements. If you unlock the full potential of both your Intel and AMD chips, AMD can absolutely thrash Intel in terms performance per watt.

Other thoughts

In terms of Motherboard, I'll suggest sticking to Gigabyte/Asus. For an HD go for Seagate.

HyperX said:
In terms of cooling AMD chips run cooler than Intel chips at the moment

can you pls share from where you draw the above conclusion. AFAIK Intel chips are cooler than AMD due to the high TDP of AMD chips (please correct me if I am wrong)
A comparison will be helpful though.

tech_savy said:
where is i3 540 available for 5k?
Prices have dipped :) wake up ;)

http://www.deltapage.com/list/index.html

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Components Description Price (INR)

Processor AMD AthlonII X4 635(2.9GHz, 4 cores,2MB Cache) 4500

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H 4500

RAM Corsair Value 2*2GB DDRIII 1333MHz 2800

HDD 1TB Seagate 7200.12 2800

GPU HD4250 IGP -

Monitor Dell IN2020M(LED with 1600*900 resolution) 6600

Cabinet Zebronics Cabinet w/o PSU 800

PSU/SMPS FSP SAGAII 350w 1500

Key Board Logitech SET - Optical Blk Mouse+ MMKB 700

Mouse NA -

ODD L.G. GH22NS50 OEM SATA DVD-Writer 950

Speakers Logitech R20 2.1 850

Total 25950

This should be a good alternative to the Intel one and also the AMD AthlonII X4 is a true quad core and the mobo too has 4 RAM slots so that u can add more RAM in the future if needed.

Also opt for a decent entry level PSU. Remember that PSU is the heart of the rig and a good PSU that provides clean power to ur system will go a long way in protecting ur system. Have seen many ppl who's HDD's go bad due to cr@ppy generic PSU's. Dont cheap out on the PSU.

DarkAngel said:
Prices have dipped :) wake up ;)

http://www.deltapage.com/list/index.html

Components Description Price (INR)
Processor AMD AthlonII X4 635(2.9GHz, 4 cores,2MB Cache) 4500
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-880GMA-UD2H 4500
RAM Corsair Value 2*2GB DDRIII 1333MHz 2800
HDD 1TB Seagate 7200.12 2800
GPU HD4250 IGP -
Monitor Dell IN2020M(LED with 1600*900 resolution) 6600
Cabinet Zebronics Cabinet w/o PSU 800
PSU/SMPS FSP SAGAII 350w 1500
Key Board Logitech SET - Optical Blk Mouse+ MMKB 700
Mouse NA -
ODD L.G. GH22NS50 OEM SATA DVD-Writer 950
Speakers Logitech R20 2.1 850
Total 25950

This should be a good alternative to the Intel one and also the AMD AthlonII X4 is a true quad core and the mobo too has 4 RAM slots so that u can add more RAM in the future if needed.
Also opt for a decent entry level PSU. Remember that PSU is the heart of the rig and a good PSU that provides clean power to ur system will go a long way in protecting ur system. Have seen many ppl who's HDD's go bad due to cr@ppy generic PSU's. Dont cheap out on the PSU.
due only one addition
HE NEEDS A GPU!!!! Guys check any site u want... adobe (premiere), avid, 3ds max anyone.... they all mention a gpu as a must!!! if u are doing hd movies(like is the norm today) no inbuilt gpu will suffice... i stress NO INBUILT GPU will suffice!.. u expect him to perform hd movies on an inbuilt 4250??

this doesn't include the casual video editing for home guys..

and by the way i have an intel quad core(q6600) and an amd quad core(945) intel definitely heats up way way way more..... i had to change the case(nzxt gamma) get six fans running into the proc to cool it down..(this all in an ac room) and still the shit runs at 48c in idle mode!! intel is dam hot man...

^^ Q6600 is 65nm chip rated at 105 W TDP where as 945 is a 45 nm chip rated at 95W TDP. so, obviously intel will run hotter than AMD.
if anyone site an example where Intel chip same nm & TDP as AMD runs hotter as quoted above.

<quote>AFAIK Intel chips are cooler than AMD due to the high TDP of AMD chips (please correct me if I am wrong) </quote>

Relax mate, I was talking about the temperatures after over-clocking because it where this becomes a constraint. At stock clock rates the temperatures do not matter, here the usual yardstick is TDP as correctly pointed out by you.

<quote>if anyone site an example where Intel chip same nm & TDP as AMD runs hotter as quoted above.</quote>

Lets take up the current case, the budget here is ~Rs.5000 At this point I think these are the processors in the market

Intel i3- 530/ Intel i3-540
AMD X2 555BE ( Leaving AMD X4 635 since it is a quad )

Here is a comparison done by Toms hardware: Power And Temperature Benchmarks : Phenom II X2 555 Vs. Pentium G6950: New Budget Dual-Core Titans

See how the OC chips compare. As far as the specs are concerned 555 is a 80W TDP, 45nm processor whereas G6950 is same Clarkdale architecture as an i3-530/540 is, i.e. 73W TDP, 32nm Processor. If you notice, despite having a higher TDP / power draw and a gen older technology (45nm) AMDs are running cooler.

Here is another link, look at the Max temp row. : AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE (rev. C3) vs Intel Core i3 i3-530

For the record, I am running an Intel Chip. :)

mrcool63 said:
my point likewise... intel gets hot .. also had a athlon 3200+ which ran cooler than the quad core!
I agree... My Intel Core i5 750 Processor gets very hot when all the cores are fully loaded...

Idle Temperature: 36 32 32 32

Load Temperature: 62 62 62 62

Using Noctua NH-U12P SE2 without any additional fan installed in my case... just one exhaust fan is installed...

I Know that with some additional fans the load temperature will come down but still it is on higher side...

On stock HSF my proccy temp used to reach 72 on full load...

so the above discussion points to the fact that intel gets hot and the stock cooler provided by AMD does its job much better.

and shenoy dude go for gskill ram 4gb costs 3300---itwares is selling in dealers market--instead of corsair

HyperX said:
<quote>AFAIK Intel chips are cooler than AMD due to the high TDP of AMD chips (please correct me if I am wrong) </quote>

Relax mate, I was talking about the temperatures after over-clocking because it where this becomes a constraint. At stock clock rates the temperatures do not matter, here the usual yardstick is TDP as correctly pointed out by you.

<quote>if anyone site an example where Intel chip same nm & TDP as AMD runs hotter as quoted above.</quote>

Lets take up the current case, the budget here is ~Rs.5000 At this point I think these are the processors in the market

Intel i3- 530/ Intel i3-540
AMD X2 555BE ( Leaving AMD X4 635 since it is a quad )

Here is a comparison done by Toms hardware: Power And Temperature Benchmarks : Phenom II X2 555 Vs. Pentium G6950: New Budget Dual-Core Titans

See how the OC chips compare. As far as the specs are concerned 555 is a 80W TDP, 45nm processor whereas G6950 is same Clarkdale architecture as an i3-530/540 is, i.e. 73W TDP, 32nm Processor. If you notice, despite having a higher TDP / power draw and a gen older technology (45nm) AMDs are running cooler.

Here is another link, look at the Max temp row. : AMD Phenom II X2 555 BE (rev. C3) vs Intel Core i3 i3-530

For the record, I am running an Intel Chip. :)
The comparison on Tom's side is fine but here Intel is overclocked to 4.4 where as AMD to 4.0 which is the reason of high temperature of Intel.However, Intel chip is slightly hotter @ stock speed.

In the second link it looks more like max operating temperature that doesn't mean the CPU runs at that speed during normal day usage.
The comparison should be between e8400/e8500 vs phenom 2 545/550 although still we have a better TDP in Intel. I am not a Intel fanboy but would be interested to see the truth, which manufacturer is offering better design & features.

dude...if you really want to work as a hard-core web programmer, than I will suggest you to look for APPLE machines.

Works very-well with images/sound kinda jobs, perhaps pretty well-suited for Adobe-platform either.

You seems to be a Unix guy, guessing who loves 'Terminal', so Mac-machine blends immensely good with the Unix-world. utils.

IMHO Mac is a lifetime investment....and it returns its pricey worth very-well to you....have a look for i-Mac's....!!!

mac is a good investment if ur whole and sole purpose is development. further its platforms are very different.. u have to use avid etc, and its not that cost effective. fit prices with little flexibilty.. a nightmare for very rigid budgets

Back