Finally 3G is here from private players

arun687

Skilled
After a long long wait, it seems we finally have 3G from private players. All leading mobile phone operator websites already are showing 3G teasers and Tata Docomo has announced it's launch before Diwali. Seriously, it's been a long wait. :hap5:

Airtel

Hope everyone is as excited as I am on this. I'm on Tata Docomo and unfortunately, it has no license in Mumbai. Will have to move to Reliance or some other.

Any thoughts on pricing and more info? Is anyone already getting signals by manually searching for them in UMTS?

I hope that the BSNL price is taken as benchmark and all players keep the price below that (1.5k for unlimited usage).

But i am sure that the Fook user policy will be applied.

I don't mind, infact would like it if there is FUP on 3G plans. Internet on phones aren't meant to be used for downloading HD-Rips or torrents or anything like that!!

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

But I do hope they launch MNP before that, so that I can switch my operator. Currently on Idea and unfortunately, it did not win the auction for the Mumbai circle :-|

MNP is what matters now!

I'm on Vodafone which unfortunately doesnot have 3G spectrum in Bangalore...so unless MNP comes, i can't shift to DOCOMO...without changing my number :(

But looking at the way the govt is delaying it, i don't think MNP will be launched.Forever.

I'd be happy if they have a limited 1gb/2b plan like i have currently with 2G and price it appropriately (like below 200 bucks, i pay 98 right now for same plan on edge).. but i dont think that will happen :(

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

PhotostarSR said:
MNP is what matters now!

I'm on Vodafone which unfortunately doesnot have 3G spectrum in Bangalore...so unless MNP comes, i can't shift to DOCOMO...without changing my number :(

But looking at the way the govt is delaying it, i don't think MNP will be launched.Forever.

Guys worrying about their provider not having license in their state need not worry. All these major players are doing some kind of deal to share the network/spectrum to get pan india coverage

Pat said:
I don't mind, infact would like it if there is FUP on 3G plans. Internet on phones aren't meant to be used for downloading HD-Rips or torrents or anything like that!!
But I do hope they launch MNP before that, so that I can switch my operator. Currently on Idea and unfortunately, it did not win the auction for the Mumbai circle :-|

i suppose one should take the 3G plunge only when all operators have launched their services in the licensed areas.

it is supposed to be end of the year or the new year for everybody to roll out 3G services.

Yea, read in the newspaper. Tata Docomo rolling out 3G services from Diwali.
Other players should start soon too. Waiting for Reliance/Airtel to start in Mumbai.

+1 for the friggin' MNP... bring it on already. I'm currently on Loop mobile and while the service is not bad it hasn't been great for a while now, plus it seems the progress has halted at Loop mobile as they are nowhere to be found with new technologies (3G as we are talking here).

shantanugoel said:
Guys worrying about their provider not having license in their state need not worry. All these major players are doing some kind of deal to share the network/spectrum to get pan india coverage
Really? Thats great news then! Any place where I could read more on that ?

I really hope docomo keeps it word of diwali launch since when one private operator launches it, others will have to anyhow launch to grab the customers.

AFAIK newer operators welcomed MNP. Its the case of older operators likes of vodafone, Airtel, in some cases IDEA who do not want to lose old customers and in turn the loss of subscribers.

Even reliance had earlier said that they are ready to implement MNP.

MNP is a must... hoping for good , cheap 3G connectivity. I am not willing to spend 500 bucks on it a month though... sthn like 200 for 2GB is a nice price.

^^I am sure it will be much more expensive than that, especially in Metros! Considering that MTNL charges 250 bucks for 500 MB, and 500 for 1 GB, I won't be surprised if private operators start from 399 for 500 MB and upto 599 or 699 for 1 GB!

Pat said:
^^I am sure it will be much more expensive than that, especially in Metros! Considering that MTNL charges 250 bucks for 500 MB, and 500 for 1 GB, I won't be surprised if private operators start from 399 for 500 MB and upto 599 or 699 for 1 GB!
+1 Infact i think will be much more in metros and I have no plans using at such high rates

i am currently using 3g on mtnl for the past 10 months in delhi & its been a good experience, its not just about the internet speed, ive also noticed things like better voice clarity while making calls and faster sms sending & receiving especially in case of group & bulk sms. And of course the freedom to use internet on the go @ decent speeds ranging from 1.5-2mbps in delhi, there is also the added convenience of internet tethering for laptop connectivity at high speeds.

I agree about the MNP. It's high time it is implemented and if it is rolled out soon, the real 3G pricing wars will begin, but I do not have much hopes, considering the number of deadlines they have missed already.

Coming to the pricing and FUP, I think a reasonable 2GB plan will be sufficient for most users if they intent to use it on the phones itself. Now EDGE plans are as low as Rs 50 for 2 GB, so I hope the 3G rates won't be sky high. Also will be interesting to see the pricing on Video calls and other VAS that 3G will allow.

Back