Finally... My New 27" - 1440p window to the World

Some initial impressions after using the display over the weekend.

- As with my 2007WFP, the 50% brightness out of the box is enough to burn holes in the eyes. I had to reduce it to 10 for comfortable use. But unlike the 2007WFP which became too dark for gaming with 10% brightness, the same setting is doing fantastic for gaming as well.

- Color reproduction out of the box seems better than my Dell 2007WFP in general, but there are occasions when certain colors seem to be more "vibrant" than they need to be which goes against the IPS's advantage of accurate color reproduction. However I must add that I didn't do any calibration at all. Just downloaded the U2711 color profile provided by Dell and also the color setting in the OSD is set to standard. The inaccurate colors may be a concern for professional use (In any case, they calibrate the display for such use), but overall great for gaming.

- Some amount of back light bleeding in the right bottom corner. However this is noticeable only on a black screen and when viewing from a particular position. I guess I am a bit lucky there in that many people have had noticeable back light bleeding in up to 3 corners. Blacks are also decent enough if not great.

- Screen tearing seems to be pretty much same as in my 2007WFP. Its visible in certain titles at certain times, but not not bad enough to be irritating. I guess I am also pretty used to it now having used only an IPS display for 5 years after shifting to LCD's.

- The native resolution of 2560 x 1440 is great for text and regular desktop use. It didn't feel at all to be straining on the eyes.

- I was also a bit curious to see how my rig will handle gaming at native resolution. Every thing I tried yesterday ran comfortably enough at 2560 x 1440. Crysis Warhead gave 45FPS on extreme setting with 2x AA. I need to check some more games.

You are on the edge man gpu's will be pushed at that rez. Totally love your config it seems to be the most you can squeeze out for a mad gaming rig love your component choices badass and its hard to say vfm with all the goodies you have but it actually is pretty vfm :p

Hey Lord,

Now that its a few weeks with you can you give us a little review on it, I am just interested in knowing its Gaming performance. How is the input lag? How is the ghosting effect? Is there any special mode like Gaming mode to reduce input lag?

Thanks a lot.

Infected said:
Hey Lord,

Now that its a few weeks with you can you give us a little review on it, I am just interested in knowing its Gaming performance. How is the input lag? How is the ghosting effect? Is there any special mode like Gaming mode to reduce input lag?

Thanks a lot.

Presently, I am a bit busy with work (which is why my frequency of posting is also quite low these days), so it wouldn't be possible to do a full fledged review. In fact I also wanted to do a short review on the Elysium as well, but couldn't get to it. I will see if I can do them both a while later. I did post a few initial impressions of the U2711 earlier and those stand. As far as gaming goes, the main issue that is easily noticeable is screen tearing in some games. input lag even if it does exist isn't much of an issue for single player games which is what I play mostly. Overall gaming experience is pretty good. There is a separate game mode, but as with 2007WFP, I would rather use the standard mode itself.
One thing I would like to point out is that for gaming, you should have GPU muscle capable of handling the native resolution for this display (2560 x 1440). On my 2007WFP, I have quite often played games at non native resolutions like 1440 x 900, 1280 x720 etc and the internal scaling was pretty good for these non native resolutions. On the U2711, even 1920 x 1080 (while not really bad) is not as good as running non native resolutions on he 2007WFP. Thankfully my rig is fully capable of handling every game at the displays native resolution. Another interesting thing that I noticed is that despite being a 16:9 aspect display, 1920 x 1200 looks much better and more natural than 1920 x 1080. 1080p in games does even fill the screen properly and leaves black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Not sure why that is, but I guess it is also one of the reasons why 1920 x 1080 doesn't look too good on this display.

Presently, I am a bit busy with work (which is why my frequency of posting is also quite low these days), so it wouldn't be possible to do a full fledged review. In fact I also wanted to do a short review on the Elysium as well, but couldn't get to it. I will see if I can do them both a while later. I did post a few initial impressions of the U2711 earlier and those stand. As far as gaming goes, the main issue that is easily noticeable is screen tearing in some games. input lag even if it does exist isn't much of an issue for single player games which is what I play mostly. Overall gaming experience is pretty good. There is a separate game mode, but as with 2007WFP, I would rather use the standard mode itself.

One thing I would like to point out is that for gaming, you should have GPU muscle capable of handling the native resolution for this display (2560 x 1440). On my 2007WFP, I have quite often played games at non native resolutions like 1440 x 900, 1280 x720 etc and the internal scaling was pretty good for these non native resolutions. On the U2711, even 1920 x 1080 (while not really bad) is not as good as running non native resolutions on he 2007WFP. Thankfully my rig is fully capable of handling every game at the displays native resolution. Another interesting thing that I noticed is that despite being a 16:9 aspect display, 1920 x 1200 looks much better and more natural than 1920 x 1080. 1080p in games does even fill the screen properly and leaves black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. Not sure why that is, but I guess it is also one of the reasons why 1920 x 1080 doesn't look too good on this display.

Screen tearing even while you have vSync on??? Please tell me its not so then....

...m looking at its bigger brother, but trying to get all the views in before I send my plasma out to the living room.

I think my 580 will be ok for now, I hope atleast till the next gen comes out, I am not into Xfire or SLI, so I will have to hope that the 580 is good enough to game at 2560x1600.

How about the ghosting effect? DO try to game with the Game Mode and tell us if you notice any difference...

Thanks a lot.

Back