Flipkart to shut down website by April 2016 and Migrate to App

If the app itself is hybrid and relies on web content (as seems to be the case), they would still need their web infrastructure. They are not going to save any costs by removing their main website.

The only thing that they will accomplish is that they would end up losing a considerable chunk of their user base.

For High Return on Investments. Kya dimak hai jee tumara! :banghead:
pixel.gif

Accepting that desktops weren't giving the same returns on investments anymore compared to a few years ago, Bansal said Flipkart will keep an eye out for more acquisitions in the mobile space and look to fill the gaps on tech and talent front.

"I believe it (mobile advertising) can be a big business for us," said Bansal, who is spearheading the ad business for Flipkart post a reorganization at the seven-year-old company which started off as an online bookstore.

http://articles.economictimes.india...60286802_1_sachin-bansal-flipkart-ad-business

Rajiv Bajaj some years back decided to famously withdraw Bajaj from scooter and 100cc bike catagory. HH and HMSI took good advantage of this move. After some time market share of Bajaj gradually eroded and they are now planning to re enter in both catagory.

I can sense some similarity here.

The people on this site are obviously going to be against this move. We're all techies and love our PCs.

But then i think about how my mom etc. browse flipkart and that is only using the app on the ipad. They don't know how to use a computer. Most houses in India nowadays have a smartphone/tablet. Flipkart needs more customers and that is going to come only via the mobile app.

The people on this site are obviously going to be against this move. We're all techies and love our PCs.

But then i think about how my mom etc. browse flipkart and that is only using the app on the ipad. They don't know how to use a computer. Most houses in India nowadays have a smartphone/tablet. Flipkart needs more customers and that is going to come only via the mobile app.
'

Even if this is true, there is no reason for them to turn the tap off on the website. You can still do both. Unless of course they have stats that tell them that the cost of keeping up the website is more than what the website revenue brings in.

If this is a financial decision then it makes sense. If its a logical one it doesnt.

My post from the FK feedback thread.
rant.

Alright Flipkart just crushed whatever respect which I had left of them (it was going down and fast).
This first happened yesterday. I was trying to check out the new Moto E on their site (from my phone) when suddenly it launched the play store. At first I thought that it was an ad. I tried again and again but the same thing happened. I finally gave up.
And today morning I tried to open the site when I again got the same issue like the previous night. Then I realized that they no longer supported viewing their site from mobile browser. I was like WTF! I immediately contacted Flipkart on Twitter who gave these replies:

"Download app option is made available to make
your shopping experience with Flipkart much
better. Do contact us for any questions."

"We're confident, if you accommodate the app on
your phone, you'll love the experience it offers.
We recommend to try it once."

They are basically forcing mobile users to download their app and browse using it. Now I don't know how their app is nor am I even willing to try because I hate apps of e-com sites and would never install it. I can just check it from my phone whenever I like. Their reason for this move, as far as i can tell, is all business aka money nothing more. I don't think that its even for the "good of the customers" but just so they can get more ads or charge higher costs or whatever (only they themselves know their internal policies anyway). I'm also not after discount coupons. I'm not that stingy. But I'd like to at least enjoy my time doing what I like on their site without any problem. I like using browser to surf online because I can also save pages for future use and quickly load a particular product from that saved page itself instead of using the link bookmark.

My point is why are they forcing users to download their app? As a consumer I should be able to choose what I like to install and what I don't. Not get it shoved down my throat. I really hate and detest these kinds of things. But I can now say confidently that the last bits of love which I had for them have been all crushed by themselves.
So much for net neutrality. Sayonara lolkart.

https://www.techenclave.com/community/threads/flipkart-feedback-thread.121483/page-5[DOUBLEPOST=1427203501][/DOUBLEPOST]And don't get me started on the privacy permission! I ain't installing this crap.
Not just Flipkart but other E-com sites ask for various permissions. I mean wtf do you need my gallery and messages and contact details for?? I don't know what since I'm not expert but something here is fishy.

noob query: Is it possible to browse the desktop version on mobile browsers (namely Chrome/ Firefox/ Boat Browser/ Dolphin), in something called the desktop mode/ version?

I use Naked browser, there is an option to choose if I want the site to be displayed as the desktop version/ mobile version!

noob query: Is it possible to browse the desktop version on mobile browsers (namely Chrome/ Firefox/ Boat Browser/ Dolphin), in something called the desktop mode/ version?

I use Naked browser, there is an option to choose if I want the site to be displayed as the desktop version/ mobile version!
Why don't you try and let us know? ;)
Even I was thinking about trying out the same. But it is of no use if ultimately FK decides the entire website concept altogether.

I use Opera. Once the site detects that you are using mobile it will instantly throw up the app store.

This whole offer thing is a test run to see the response if they went mobile only. One of the reasons people were been given to go all mobile the amount of data being served in desktop vs mobile browser.
If one was to look carefully you will quite a lot companies pushing this. Lot of them are running "app only" offers.

Back