Flipkart will soon come in a big problem

^^Absolutely nothing's going to happen even if the consumers take them to court in such cases. There are a sh1t load of cases where people tried and failed. There is a reason why the system of authorized channels exist. No body gives you an unlimited and unconditional warranty. Every warranty is limited and subject to conditions set by the manufacturer. The manufacturer is essentially promising that as long as you buy a genuine product from a channel trusted and authorized by them for sales, they can guarantee you the quality of that product and if it fails the set expectations, they will provide you with satisfactory service towards repair or replacement of the item either directly or through the channels authorized by them.

None of that applies the moment you go out and buy a product from an unauthorized source. An unauthorized source may be selling you a fake, tampered or altered product for all we know. I know of cases where resellers took out accessories or even swiped out the genuine components used in the product for cheaper ones before the product is sold. So there is no way a a manufacturer can promise you warranty in such uncontrolled conditions. Any understanding of quality and warranty/guarantee in such cases is between you and the source from whom the purchase was made.

You may have some luck suing your seller in such scenarios, but you would have no luck suing a manufacturer over a product brought though a source not authorized by them for resale.

If you have a VAT paid bill from the seller and then the company is bound to honor the warranty if the product is still in the warranty period . Please remember Consumer Courts are biased towards Consumers. All the courts are going to say are to these companies." If you were to purchase an item whether will you do a background check of the store i.e. authorized or not.

The consumer courts mostly award consumers because there is no agreement signed by the customer at the time of making a purchase which says" If you have made a purchase from an unauthorized store then you are not liable to claim warranty from us"

Last edited:
Why exactly do these companies have a problem with online sales? Genuinely asking. Their products are getting sold, right? & their statements about not honouring warranty, is it to be applied with retrospective effect?

Just today the whole issue was covered by NDTV. One particular statistic they mentioned is that e-tailing is about 1% of total retail business. In that case, I do not understand why the OEMs are threatened.

Why exactly do these companies have a problem with online sales? Genuinely asking. Their products are getting sold, right? & their statements about not honouring warranty, is it to be applied with retrospective effect?
These companies do not have a problem with online sales. It is the B & M shops which are arm twisting them to do something about the low prices offered by the online retailers. B & M shops amount to about 80-90% of the sales by these companies. So they want to do something to keep these guys happy.

I think these companies will be very happy if the government decides to announce that there is nothing wrong with the way the eCom sites are doing business. Then they will just tell their B & M partners that their hands are tied. Online sales are much more spontaneous compared to shopping in B & M shops. So more chances of making a quick sale online. Also most buyers would prefer to shop from the comfort of their home/office and not waste their holiday to roam through the shops trying to get the best deal.
And if it is a Tier 2/3 city then getting the exact model that you want becomes an exercise in futility. Even Kolkata, a metro city suffers from this with respect to computer goods like laptops, motherboards, RAM etc.
I am still unable to find a specific Lenovo laptop in stores here. I even checked with the official Lenovo store. But even those guys did not have it. And try mentioning brands like Soundmagic and F&D here. They will try to force Creative down your throat in any way possible.

These companies do not have a problem with online sales. It is the B & M shops which are arm twisting them to do something about the low prices offered by the online retailers. B & M shops amount to about 80-90% of the sales by these companies. So they want to do something to keep these guys happy.

Because since eons: that is what B&M shops have been doing. Arm twisting and make best practices out of bad practices:

1. Lying to customers.
2. Selling off expired goods.
3. Dirtying the surrounding area with cartons and wrappers.
4. Pawning off deal items as separate.
5. Forcing buyers to buy what they want to sell.
6. Being rude and uncanny.
7. Have not an iota of regard and empathy for the customer / consumer.
8. Doing "juggad" and cello-tape work.
9. Missing commitment values.
10. Speaking out of line - give a replaceable item to a friend ; oh it is all right just use it ; 'a' is good as 'b'.
11. Refusing refund and/or replacements.

e-Commerce is the perfect negation of the above, typical paradox and yin to the yang of B&M.

This is rather confusing. One of my friends bought a Videocon LCD from Snapdeal. Videocon refused to honour the warranty. No amount of calls, emails to the CEO worked even after 3 weeks.
Not sure but I think this situation is like the movie distributors vs multiplexes or cable operators vs channels kind of fight. The initial service provider is not able to digest the success of the end consumer facing entity. So they want more cut for their profits. On denying they do all this drama.

^do you have VAT bill? Then you are entitled for warranty. File a case in consumer court, if Videocon is not ready to help you.

The Enforcement Directorate has issued a showcause notice to e-commerce giant Flipkart seeking a Rs 1000 crore penalty for violating rules during its mega sale. Flipkart's Big Billion Day faced severe criticism from users after facing technical glitches. It also raised concerns among small and big traders that such campaigns would badly affect players in the traditional retail market.

Even Nikon does not support products sold in Flipkart. There was a guy in the only Nikon service store in Bangalore where I was collecting my camera (after servicing). The center was hesitant and asking him for a lot of proofs before agreeing to take his camera.

The Enforcement Directorate has issued a showcause notice to e-commerce giant Flipkart seeking a Rs 1000 crore penalty for violating rules during its mega sale. Flipkart's Big Billion Day faced severe criticism from users after facing technical glitches. It also raised concerns among small and big traders that such campaigns would badly affect players in the traditional retail market.

What are the exact charges. It is so vague in the news snippets...? Just that they sold goods at low prices..? Is that an offense..?

@asingh i really don't know how much correct i am .

But according to me, it's really bad to sell item below your cost price, in order to gather more customers or have uphand in brand promotion, only due to the reason that you are getting handy funding from outsiders investor, this will go on for short span of time, but in long run, i am 100% sure flipkart won't be able to survive, when pressure will be put from the investor, for how long they can remain showing losses and attracting investors.

The same thing happened with yebhi.com. they went on giving items below their cost price, spending millions on promotions, using promoters money, when the funders taken their hand back to invest a penny more, they declared themselves bankrupt and take their hand away from selling items, and started as affiliates for other sites.

in one way, flipkart is destroying the competition, at online level as well as local level, and when it get itself destroyed, it will lead to monopoly of some other store.

i too own a multi-brand footwear showroom, 70% of my target target customer are youngster, we are forced to offer discount only 2-3 month in year, and rest of the year we are forced to give discount from our margin which is generally in the level of 25-35%, now a days more than 50% of customer says, "Hey you are offering 25% off, same is listed in 1000 in flipkart, 1100 in jabong, 1200 in amazon", i have no other excuse other than saying that you can try and choose shoe here, but there you have see and try your luck.

due to this reason only, i am forced to SHUTDOWN MY STORE , and now i am looking into culinary biz, although i might face competition from dominos, pizza hut kfc, but in no way they can offer Indian cuisines, and at rate which i am going to offer.

news of ED investigation seems confusing
Bz6lkgfCcAAMi6u.png large.png

LG probably too not giving service. I called up Flipkart after receiving a new fridge, asked them straight up whether warranty will be provided, service etc. very very sketchy answer given to me.

If in 30 days you have a problem then you can return the product etc.

They didn't send the installation guy from LG too. Not that it's difficult to plug in a fridge I just wanted to check what's going on with this DoS issue.
I'm thinking of mailing LG to clear this.

@asingh i really don't know how much correct i am .

But according to me, it's really bad to sell item below your cost price, in order to gather more customers or have uphand in brand promotion, only due to the reason that you are getting handy funding from outsiders investor, this will go on for short span of time, but in long run, i am 100% sure flipkart won't be able to survive, when pressure will be put from the investor, for how long they can remain showing losses and attracting investors.

The same thing happened with yebhi.com. they went on giving items below their cost price, spending millions on promotions, using promoters money, when the funders taken their hand back to invest a penny more, they declared themselves bankrupt and take their hand away from selling items, and started as affiliates for other sites.

in one way, flipkart is destroying the competition, at online level as well as local level, and when it get itself destroyed, it will lead to monopoly of some other store.

i too own a multi-brand footwear showroom, 70% of my target target customer are youngster, we are forced to offer discount only 2-3 month in year, and rest of the year we are forced to give discount from our margin which is generally in the level of 25-35%, now a days more than 50% of customer says, "Hey you are offering 25% off, same is listed in 1000 in flipkart, 1100 in jabong, 1200 in amazon", i have no other excuse other than saying that you can try and choose shoe here, but there you have see and try your luck.

due to this reason only, i am forced to SHUTDOWN MY STORE , and now i am looking into culinary biz, although i might face competition from dominos, pizza hut kfc, but in no way they can offer Indian cuisines, and at rate which i am going to offer.

Bhai, come and open a dairy farm with me.[emoji16][emoji16]

LG probably too not giving service. I called up Flipkart after receiving a new fridge, asked them straight up whether warranty will be provided, service etc. very very sketchy answer given to me.

If in 30 days you have a problem then you can return the product etc.

They didn't send the installation guy from LG too. Not that it's difficult to plug in a fridge I just wanted to check what's going on with this DoS issue.
I'm thinking of mailing LG to clear this.

Do not companies send a REP. to explain the functionality of white goods / refrigerators upon first-time-buy. When I got an LG LED, 2 years back, they sent the installation team. I did mention that it was a FK purchase, but they hardly cared.

Back