For me Sify rocks

abbY

Skilled
Dec 28, 2006
Hi guys,
just purchased a sify broadband connection. IMO it realy VFM.

Price Rs 1550 for three months.
Speed: 256 Kbps
Day: 150 MB every day free
Night: Unlimited

The speeds are constant 32K, and I approx 1GB every night. And 150 MB/day.
That translates to approx 35GB/month. Which means I will be downloading more than users capped my other ISP's FUP of 10GB/month.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

May 10, 2008
i am also looking to get a sify connection...presently i use indicom's 512 unlimited one but have to share it with flatmates...will be calling the sify guy today

deathvirus_me

Skilled
May 27, 2006
Kolkata, India
abbY said:
Hi guys,

That translates to approx 35GB/month. Which means I will be downloading more than users capped my other ISP's FUP of 10GB/month.

Eeer really ??? BSNL 750 seems better :p .. 256 kbps 1:1 24x7 free, avg. at 32 KBps normally. I end up ~60 GB each month (total transfer, upload + download) ..

Ragin_Ice

Adept
Jan 25, 2005
abbY said:
Hi guys,

wait till u start getting downtimes :p........

abbY

Skilled
Dec 28, 2006
deathvirus_me said:
Eeer really ??? BSNL 750 seems better :p .. 256 kbps 1:1 24x7 free, avg. at 32 KBps normally. I end up ~60 GB each month (total transfer, upload + download) ..

#1.This is a good 250 bucks cheaper / month than the BSNL 750. :bleh:
#2. I am downloading 35GB/month, you have mentioned ~60 / month (upload+download), now do the math. :cool2:
#3. Been using for > 20 days now, not a single minute of downtime. :clap:

Ragin_Ice

Adept
Jan 25, 2005
abbY said:
#1.This is a good 250 bucks cheaper / month than the BSNL 750. :bleh:
#2. I am downloading 35GB/month, you have mentioned ~60 / month (upload+download), now do the math. :cool2:
#3. Been using for > 20 days now, not a single minute of downtime. :clap:

thats good.......I am happy for u but I have been plagued by Sify's downtimes. Sometimes it used to happen for 2 to 3 days and their customer service sucked to the core.

BUT

This was 3 years back. Maybe they would have pulled up their socks and got their act together.

I am super happy with MTNL. 3 years and not a single minute of downtime! I have never seen such a reliable service.

bond_212

Adept
Oct 25, 2008
sify downtimes generally depends on local BA (business associate)

so they are different for different locality

Again OT: Any DC++ hubs on sify

shobitkumar

Disciple
Mar 20, 2009
Either you're too lucky or your bad time hasnt started yet!

Wait till you start facing problems. and you wont even have the CC to help you out!

Spectre

Skilled
Jun 5, 2007
Ragin_Ice said:
wait till u start getting downtimes :p........

dont worry...he will soon bump this thread saying how sify s*cks, how horrible is their local operators, how pathetic is their CC
Effects: High BP, stress, doctor visit, medication after speaking to their CC

Welcome to the awesomeness of Sify

prediff

Disciple
Nov 2, 2008
Enjoy it while it lasts, and hope that you never have to call up their customer service or their BA's.
Lovely part is when you net connection goes down in late evenings or nights, no one picks the phone, now you cant get better service than that...

Have changed to MTNL unlimited pack just because of that reason, while i keep a month of Sify as a backup, since MTNL seems to be taking its own sweet time in setting up the connection.

cyberjunkie

Adept
Nov 13, 2005
Having had the priveledge of being a Sify customer many years back, I'm pretty sure your excitement is going to run dry eventually. Also hope you realize that there are some ISPs who let you download what you can download in a month in just 3 nights for not a LOT LOT more :p

Just found it silly that someone was excited being a Sify customer..that's all :rofl:

clown_abhi

Skilled
Sep 27, 2007
For everybody,

I had been on Sify for like 2.5 years and just to mention, very little downtime and that too mostly due to the cable cuts that happened in some ocean some time back...:p

Apart from this, Sify is very good. Ya, it depends on the local operator to a great extent. But it comes out to be good since u can call directly the guy and he fixes the problem rather than CC.

Speeds and pings are better in Sify than Airtel. :eek:hyeah:

But sadly enuf, they don't have a 512kbps unlimited or 384kbps unlimited plan whch would be coming soon.:)

Sify as a ISP what i read about the experiences are mostly old ones..And three years back:S ...Judging a company by what it was 3 years back is like...:bleh:

And BTW, no download caps on the connections...Download as much as u can...:hap2:

From my experience, i am no lucky and still Sify turned out to be good...Dat means Sify is a good ISP...
And to clear out, i am no die hard fan of Sify coz i am on Airtel now(coz i need the damn phone line)...:cool2:

Jul 9, 2007
Sify is the most pathetic ISP there is....dude you are one lucky guy...you must sitting next your local guy connector or somewaht otherwise all i here is that line is cut somewhere...server down...and yeah not mention thier stupid web dialer...

Lord Nemesis

Overlord
Skilled
Jun 3, 2005
Wait till you have to contact customer care for some or the other reason and they show you the way to hell. I was on the same 256k Night Unlimited plan before switching to Airtel.

As you said, the speeds were great i.e when its running. Come rainy season and if the cables did not get cut by itself, they keep disconnecting the routers when ever they see a tiny rain drop fall from the sky and its all for your own good to save your computers from high voltage leakage into the cables they use. They started this trend when when some people sued their asses after electricity leaked into their cables and fried their computers.

Then comes the question of customer care. Their marketing people are ready enough to pester you to renew the connection even before the current plan is out, but if you have to call them up for some reason, its a miracle if they even pick up the phone, leave alone give a useful reply.

When I moved form one colony to the adjacent, I had to call the customer care to get the connection to my new place. After a month of pestering, which included e-mails to several VP's, CEO and senior marketing and customer care guy's, I got a serious response from their side. The local customer care manager along with he local cable wala decided I have to pay 3k towards installation charges again. They told me its the cost of the cable which is a joke considering that this cable costs peanuts in the market. They barely have to use 10~15m of cable for my new place. I was also not returned the cable from my previous place saying that even though its for the cable that I pay most of the installation charge for, its not returned back to me.

While this was all happening, I was being pestered by the marketing guy's to get my plan renewed even though I had not yet got them to install the cable for my new place. One guy even had a questionable (rude) tone saying that he has his targets to meet when I told him why should I renew when I did not even get my cable installed yet.

I got thoroughly fed up with them, walked to my local Airtel office and told them I wanted a connection, They took 500 bucks for installation and the next day, they were at my place. Their junction box was on the opposite side, so they did underground cabling without even damaging the road, they brought the cable into my house and properly covered it along the walls with PVC. The next day I had Internet access and I am yet to see downtime in the three years I had it. When ever I need to change plans, I just call up customer care and by next day the new plan is applied.

Airtel too does not have the best of customer care, but its a tonne better than Sify. Even with the download limits, Airtel is still a far better deal than Sify. If I have to choose between Sify, Airtel and Hell and If I cannot get Airtel for some reason, I would rather go to hell than choose Sify.