Car & Bike Ford EcoSport... How is it?

the ikon's 1.6 was one frizzy engine. what it made up for in driving fun and off the marks performance, it lost in fuel efficiency for sure. Mechanically though i don't recall it being heavy to maintain? Ford's early days for parts were expensive though, as were their crappy after market availability and half hearted service quality. Though i still believe NOTHING beats Honda's insane part prices aftermarket thanks to their vice like grip on the market.

In later years I remember being asked 16k to fix a steering column leak, close to 25k for the suspension revamp, not to mention the car dying a couple of times during drive.

OFC, Honda: No personal experience, because when I went to book a Jazz, I remember a figure of 15k for fag lights on the accessories list, and some such wonders which can hit you if you dont go for the advance paid care plan for 4 years. Maybe dealer tried to make some money there? But then Ford dealers are quoting astronomically for mandatory accessories and super insurance among wot nots this time around. Friend saw the ecosport, TDed it, liked it, heard the charges, walked out over to a Maruti and booked the car. The clincher was "your final price will be whatever ford decides at time of delivery" - almost 6 months later for the Titanium+ - even if he is willing to pay 100% now.

In later years I remember being asked 16k to fix a steering column leak, close to 25k for the suspension revamp, not to mention the car dying a couple of times during drive.

OFC, Honda: No personal experience, because when I went to book a Jazz, I remember a figure of 15k for fag lights on the accessories list, and some such wonders which can hit you if you dont go for the advance paid care plan for 4 years. Maybe dealer tried to make some money there? But then Ford dealers are quoting astronomically for mandatory accessories and super insurance among wot nots this time around. Friend saw the ecosport, TDed it, liked it, heard the charges, walked out over to a Maruti and booked the car. The clincher was "your final price will be whatever ford decides at time of delivery" - almost 6 months later for the Titanium+ - even if he is willing to pay 100% now.

Isn't that the industry norm. I remember booking our Palio 10 years ago and though when we booked the price was 4L, we had to pay 4.25L when we took delivery because that was the new price at that time.

The A-pillar will be a problem around swirly roads, ghats mostly. I face the same problem with my new honda city i-vtec, not so much with my verna. And it does create quiet a blind spot.
That side pillar on the eco-sport looks huge. But i dont think its too big an issue. This thread has got me all itchy to test drive the car. The Duster for me was a huge disappointment, as someone above rightly pointed out, that these cars are no SUV's, they are to be treated as a hatchback at best with a better ground clearance and bigger tyres :)
Will test drive asap and leave my comments.

The Duster for me was a huge disappointment, as someone above rightly pointed out, that these cars are no SUV's, they are to be treated as a hatchback at best with a better ground clearance and bigger tyres :)

ofcourse these oddly shaped cars are not SUVs... all these sub 4-meter vehicles are being launched with only one thing in mind - its special price slab. And these vehicles are not to be taken as Crossovers... Duster maybe (monocoque).

ofcourse these oddly shaped cars are not SUVs... all these sub 4-meter vehicles are being launched with only one thing in mind - its special price slab. And these vehicles are not to Duster maybe (monocoque).

Its not jst the way the car looks. Im ok with the fact that they lack leg room or shoulder height, or even have seriously cost cutting interiors, but the performance of the car itself is so poor.

Its not jst the way the car looks. Im ok with the fact that they lack leg room or shoulder height, or even have seriously cost cutting interiors, but the performance of the car itself is so poor.

Which version of the Duster did you test? Your experience seems to be contrary to the popularity of the vehicle.. though the diesel and the petrol both offer different experiences when it comes to the Duster.

Which version of the Duster did you test? Your experience seems to be contrary to the popularity of the vehicle.. though the diesel and the petrol both offer different experiences when it comes to the Duster.

I have tried both, the 85 and 110 version. I believe ones personal choice will greatly be influenced by the car one personally owns or drives. Whilst the engine was refined and the build quality seemed solid, the leg room is horrible, the interiors suck and the rear cannot accommodate 3 people and give a comfort feel.
I have always wanted a vento diesel for daily usage but 3 test drives later i had to drop the idea cause the cabin for me didnt work out. I love the vento, but my leg leg keeps touching the side shaft. I tried every seating position but it just didnt work out for me. D opposite to the vento cabin is the city. Its huge. I can literally spread my legs and sit in the car. //// My point is, that these small things sometimes make or break a deal.
For me, the duster looked grand when launched, but when i got into the car, the first feeler was "too cramped". Also the 85ps is just not worth it. Unless one opts for the 110, i dont think the experience is worth the money.
If given a choice between a duster and an i20, i could happily choose the latter for day to day driving.

I have tried both, the 85 and 110 version. I believe ones personal choice will greatly be influenced by the car one personally owns or drives. Whilst the engine was refined and the build quality seemed solid, the leg room is horrible, the interiors suck and the rear cannot accommodate 3 people and give a comfort feel.
I have always wanted a vento diesel for daily usage but 3 test drives later i had to drop the idea cause the cabin for me didnt work out. I love the vento, but my leg leg keeps touching the side shaft. I tried every seating position but it just didnt work out for me. D opposite to the vento cabin is the city. Its huge. I can literally spread my legs and sit in the car. //// My point is, that these small things sometimes make or break a deal.
For me, the duster looked grand when launched, but when i got into the car, the first feeler was "too cramped". Also the 85ps is just not worth it. Unless one opts for the 110, i dont think the experience is worth the money.
If given a choice between a duster and an i20, i could happily choose the latter for day to day driving.

Interesting. While I haven't driven the Duster myself, I didn't come across any -ve comments about the interior space. Rather have got many about the weird ergonomics and the interior part qualities being a let down. In fact & actually to the contrary, I have the MD of a cement company in my building who actually swapped his Skoda Superb and replaced it with the 110 Duster! lol... So yea, i completely understand the point about personal pref.

Interesting. While I haven't driven the Duster myself, I didn't come across any -ve comments about the interior space. Rather have got many about the weird ergonomics and the interior part qualities being a let down. In fact & actually to the contrary, I have the MD of a cement company in my building who actually swapped his Skoda Superb and replaced it with the 110 Duster! lol... So yea, i completely understand the point about personal pref.
A duster for a superb, hmm. My bro in law has a duster and I have driven a 3 series. I tilt towards a Laura/superb anyday.
Coming back to the eco sport. Hoping for a test drive pretty soon. The petrol is the fiesta engine and the fiesta petrol performance is ok.
Top gear had a section on the eco sport compared to other cars. I remember comments on lack of space on that episode too... I'm just short of 6 and space is a priority for me..

Well, today i got to drive the ford eco sport, eco boost 1.0. The diesel 1.5 was not available, ill get to try it on thursday and will update accordingly.

First abt the car minus the engine.
-The built is solid
-accessories gadgets etc are top notch. Music system was pleasant. Keyless ignition, multiple 12v ports etc are standard features.
- Overall interior seems a bit plasticy, but quality is good. My test vehicle had leather seats etc as standard installments.
- Ground clearance is brilliant. Rear seat can definitely take 3 people my size, Duster cant. Leg room + shoulder dist is brilliant. I was pleasantly surprised at the rear seat leg room. Very comfy, could stretch out. im 5'11.
- Rear seat was slightly indented, like that of a verna. cant explain it in words, but kinda goes in. The Duster is better here. gives a better ride quality.
- The A pillar never bothered me, even whilst making u turns or sharp rights.
- The braking is brilliant. I hate the honda's soft brakes, the eco sport braking responsiveness is simply brilliant.
- The suspension is a bit stiff. Again here the duster is better. Infact a little too stiff for me. Felt a bit like a TATA vehicle here.
- The handling/steering was slick for city drive. Very smooth and responsive. But i dont think this is the best setting for highway drives. My experience with cars tells me that this steering will be a bit problematic at 100+ speed. Its too sensitive for my liking.

Now the Engine, like i said, only the eco boost was available for test drive.
The 1 litre 122 bhp seemed a tad Under-powered to me. It really did. A couple of times i hammered the accelerator in the 2nd and 3rd gear but nothing, the car wasnt going anywhere. To give an comparison, a Swift engine is more responsive whilst an i20 will completely smoke the ecoboost engine in terms of sheer power.
I asked the rep the same thing and he said that the engine is designed to be fuel efficient and for city drive. For raw power the 1.5 petrol\diesel is the way to go. Hmmmm...

Firstly, the ecoboost, atleast in my mind cannot be considered an off-roader. The 1.5 diesel might change my mind, but not the 1.0 petrol. This car on the LAvasa ghats will struggle, huff and puff surely. Also like i mentioned, the lack of power and the way the steering works, doesnt make this car a long drive vehicle(highway).

Its a good package for city drive. But at its price, so is a vento, city, verna, linea etc etc which have a lot more power and better ride quality.
I got my city a yr back and have since then wondered if i made a mistake not waiting for the duster or ecosport(eco-boost). I dont think i did. after driving both the duster and ecosport, i can say for sure that the city vento vernas of the world r a better package.

ps: the ecosport diesel has the fiestas engine. I have driven and loved that car and thats a beast of an engine. Eagerly waiting for thursday. The eco-boost is a no go for me...

^ probably it has got something to do with the lack of low end torque (characteristics of petrol) and the turbo lag not making the cut.

if you get the chance , do try if the ecoboost works without a fuss when parked upon a steep incline. i .e its movement from stationary to forward on an steep incline.

^ probably it has got something to do with the lack of low end torque (characteristics of petrol) and the turbo lag not making the cut.

if you get the chance , do try if the ecoboost works without a fuss when parked upon a steep incline. i .e its movement from stationary to forward on an steep incline.

I mentioned na, that it wont breeze through. It lacks outright power. On a steep incline u will have to put the car on first and move forward, on steady slope 2nd. My current car pulls even in the 3rd, not this one for sure. This is not an off roader for sure. It lacks power, period. And to be honest it didnt feel as refined as the duster did, not that i rate the duster too highly either.

This is a mid size car bro. Hence before i conclude on anything, i wanna try it with the fiesta diesel engine. The fiesta diesel was a beast, with that the cars characteristics should change drastically.

The ecosport, we were told, has a huge waiting period, and they even stopped taking orders for it.

But to be extremely honest, I think that was all hype. I mean just how many ecosports do you see around you?

THe duster is sold one lakh, and its virtually everywhere. The ecosport had 50000 bookings in March, when they briefly stopped taking orders, but I barely see it either in Delhi or in Punjab, two of the biggest SUV hotbeds in the country. Where has this car vanished?

Back