frankmehta gets ® a new Plasma Television: The Panasonic TH-P50V20D :-D

Some more photos guys. I know you'll are starved of good images of the V20, so here goes.

NOTE That these images have been taken in the last few stages of finishing my new house. So all surfaces might not be as clean as I would want them to be. TV was just mounted for a few seconds to see how it looks on the console, and to decide the position of the other stuff (front speakers, center channel, Tata Sky HD Receiver etc)

P1060467DesktopResolution.jpg

P1060468DesktopResolution.jpg

P1060469DesktopResolution.jpg

P1060470DesktopResolution.jpg

P1060473DesktopResolution.jpg

P1060485DesktopResolution.jpg

P1060493DesktopResolution.jpg

P1060494DesktopResolution.jpg

P1060495DesktopResolution.jpg

P1060497DesktopResolution.jpg

P1060498DesktopResolution.jpg

P1060499DesktopResolution.jpg

P1060472DesktopResolution.jpg

P1060496DesktopResolution.jpg

ALSO, something very intriguing. The sliding windows in my Hall have a gunmetal coating on them which looks like the TV has actually been matched to the surroundings. have a look, it's pretty amusing!

P1060491DesktopResolution.jpg

blr_p said:
Why did you choose a plasma over an LED ?

Don't think cost would have been the determining factor here.
LED panels as they are being marketed now are merely LED backlit or edgelit panels - they sure have an edge (albeit a small one!) over the normal CCFL backlit LCD panels but in comparison to this plasma TV that uses the 13th gen NeoPDP, the LED backlit/edgelit TVs would barely come close in terms of the black levels, color accuracy and detailing of shadows. Power consumption is ~200W - not a huge leap over the LCD TVs. But phosphor trailing is still an issue with this plasma panel.

Desecrator said:
LED panels as they are being marketed now are merely LED backlit or edgelit panels - they sure have an edge (albeit a small one!) over the normal CCFL backlit LCD panels
Why do you say merely ? I understood the LED replaces the CCFL entirely.

That means over the lifetime of the unit it does not lose brightness as quickly as a CCFL, its output is more consistant.
Desecrator said:
but in comparison to this plasma TV that uses the 13th gen NeoPDP, the LED backlit/edgelit TVs would barely come close in terms of the black levels, color accuracy and detailing of shadows. Power consumption is ~200W - not a huge leap over the LCD TVs. But phosphor trailing is still an issue with this plasma panel.
Right, i suspected there would be a better overall picture quality here.

I said merely because there are proper OLED TVs and AMOLED TVs in development which actually uses LEDs for the display and not just for the backlighting as is the case here. :)

The LED TVs available in the market ATM are essentially LED backlit or LED edgelit TVs but almost all the companies market them as LED TVs. More of a marketing gimmick such as PMPO, megapixels etc. Spending a premium of 25~30k over a CCFL backlit display is truly not worth it IMO.

OTOH the Sony XEL-1 uses an OLED display, although it could be considered more of a prototype unit which lacks several features and is prohibitively expensive for the average consumer.

Back