frankmehta wants® 4 AirConditioners: General/Hitachi/Sanyo/Samsung??

Any reason that you arent considering Samsung?
they do have excellent after sales service and the AC's while not of the highest quality are quite decent and at half the price of the Top end Brands like Hitachi.

frankmehta said:
Sorry for not updating this thread for a while.
Hitachi is now OUT, since Dad feels it's not got a good customer service record.
Toshiba and White Westinghouse out for the same reasons.
Mitsubishi out due to cost.

I think it's going to stick at 4 Generals.
2*1.5 tonners
1*2 tonner
1*1 tonner
ANY IDEA ABOUT THE STAR RATINGS OF THE GENERAL ACs?

Even im looking to buy a 2 ton a/c but both hitachi and general have poor service record, so its a big confusion on which brand to buy.

vijaycool said:
There are 2 factors that affects efficiency.
1. Leak
2. Foreign particles.

The delivery side (small tube) of the compressor is relatively high pressure around 300 psi. So even a minor leak will get down the performance of the machine.
The second point which i mentioned is not taken seriously by many installers.
They just connect the tubes and open the valve.. Bingo their job is done. However the issue will build up slowly. The longer the tube between the compressor and the indoor unit, the more headache you have. In a closed loop system apart from refrigerant no other gas must be present. But the technician already connected the tube filled with air. This will reduce the efficiency significantly. Moreover the humidity inside the air will condense near the capillary filter and act as a barrier to pass the refrigerant.
During the first installation installer needs to vaccum the tube before opening the valve or open the suction valve for few secs so that the refrigerant and air will go to the atmosphere. You may loose only 20-30 gm of gas which is negligible.
I got all these knowledge from my friend who works in Daikin for large refrigeration projects >100 tonnage.

Vaccum test : To detect the leak the tube is heavily vaccumed and held for 4 hrs. There should not be any change in the vaccum reading.
Burst test: If they can able to find the leak in vaccum test the tube is pressurized with dry nitrogen at high pressures excess of 300 psi. so the weaker component will fail.

When they installed I asked them where is the compressor for sucking out the air for which they didn't reply properly. But may be they could have done the other way opening the sucktion valve. Is their anyway to find any outside air is present in the tube now? I am using Hiatchi and it was installed by them. Also how to find the proper effeciency for .9ton model? I don't know what is the proper grill temperature which needs to arrive.

No mate. General is almost out of reckoning now, due to the high electricity consumption and large IDU. I am now actively looking at Mitsubishi and Hitachi.

Thanks for that advice. I am looking keenly at Mitsu too. The deterrent is their prohibitively high cost. I am going to research in the grey market soon.

Dad has finalized 2 brands: Daikin and Mitsubishi (not the heavy industries one)

We are getting the FOLLOWING rates for the Daikin Inverter models of:

1. 0.8 ton for my Sister's 90 sq ft room: Rs. 28500

2. 1.5 ton for my Dad and my 160 sq ft rooms: Rs. 44500

3. 2.2 ton for my 350 sq ft. hall: Rs. 58500

All these are inverter models and are the TOP OF THE LINE models sold in India. I am happy to buy them, but I think the prices quoted are slightly high.

Please let me know if I can get a better deal guys.

Cheers!

frankmehta said:
Dad has finalized 2 brands: Daikin and Mitsubishi (not the heavy industries one) All these are inverter models and are the TOP OF THE LINE models sold in India. I am happy to buy them, but I think the prices quoted are slightly high.
Why are you going with inverter models ? See this

But if it works on a partial load it won't take out as much water from the room which in a humid place like mumbai matters. This is no different to oversizing in the hope of saving on energy but getting short changed in another dept.

A lot of deliberation. A lot of punching, pulling, pushing etc. from all the competitors made the final choice very difficult.

I actually was in two minds just before I made the final call.

Here's what I finally decided:

Welcome to Daikin India

Daikins are sometimes referred to, as the Rolls Royce of AirConditioners.

Sometimes, it all boils down to what the heart says, and we didn't think twice before ordering inverter models for all the rooms.

Here's how they will be placed:

150 sq ft room: 1.5 ton FTKD50

145 sq ft room: 1.5 ton FTKD50

300 sq ft room: 2.2 ton FTKD71

90 sq ft room: 0.8 ton. FTKD25

All AC's mentioned above are COOLING ONLY (no heat pump) INVERTER based R22 Gas models.

The benefits of Inverter models are seen over shorter periods of time, which is exactly what we run our ac's for. 8 hours at the max everyday.

The Inverter AC's do not come with a star rating in India, but they have an EER/COP (W/W) rating which is 15% higher than that of the 5* G series of Daikin AC's. Which makes them super efficient.

So, finally we ended up paying quite a bit more, but it's more for the peace of mind factor of having

a) Class leading, top of the line silent ACs

b) Highly Efficient Inverter based ACs.

3 months' research will pay off in the next 3-4 days.

You can never go wrong with a Jap manufacturer - ACs in particular. :p

Keep us posted on the damages as well. :)

I scanned the original brochure that Daikin SO STINGILY doesn't even upload onto it's website. By the way, the Daikin website is one of the worst I have ever seen.

Anyways, to help people here, who may be interested (in my model) I am posting all the relevant information in the brochure on this page. For people who want more info on other models in the brochure, just shout out. Will scan them and put them up.

Scan.jpg

Scan_0003.jpg

Scan_0002.jpg

Scan_0001.jpg

Guys, all the AC's arrived today, and by evening, all of them were installed.

First impressions: The Inverter Outdoor unit is preetttttty large. But I don't have a problem.

I am waiting for Daikin authorized personnel to drop by on Tuesday, for them to check the wiring. Then we can power them on, and we are good to go!

I will publish first impressions on the AC's very soon.

Shifting to the new house in less than a fornight! Yayy!

Back