Free Sygic & MapmyIndia GPS Android App

I wouldn't blame it on "very low penetration of credit cards". Rather, the pricing was definitely on the higher side (rs.700 or thereabouts going by one of the posts above). Had they even put it on offer for Rs.200 or so, rather than for free, it would have still grossed well. Price it right, and I am sure there will be a huge audience ready to buy. Personally, when I was on Android, even with my ZTE Blade, I had ended up purchasing for more than Rs.1000 in total. Am on WP8 now, and have already spent about Rs.600 for apps/games.

I wouldn't blame it on "very low penetration of credit cards". Rather, the pricing was definitely on the higher side (rs.700 or thereabouts going by one of the posts above). Had they even put it on offer for Rs.200 or so, rather than for free, it would have still grossed well. Price it right, and I am sure there will be a huge audience ready to buy. Personally, when I was on Android, even with my ZTE Blade, I had ended up purchasing for more than Rs.1000 in total. Am on WP8 now, and have already spent about Rs.600 for apps/games.

When I purchased, Sygic was Rs 1399 I think -- to be fair, an atrocious pricing in the price conscious Indian market. Given their pricing, most of the *offline-map-loving* Indians were happy using the *ahem* version of the app.

OT: Will wait for Tom Tom to go free :p

Damn had paid 250 Rs under a deal posted on TE.
Anyways, I guess I paid so lifetime updates will be free. How about this free version now ?

Probably they did not have a choice, esp. after Google announced offline maps availability. Has anyone tried that? I did download a small area, but did not use it.

Thanks @prateekS : I did drive extensively in interior Orissa and AP using 2012 maps and had absolutely no difficulty finding my way. Just FYI: Maps of 2013 are "available".

Back