Front loading or top loading washing machine?

Thanks for that....
I am afraid getting an arrangement for hot water seems difficult. I think the new generation TL machines do come with inbuilt water heater, but dunno how much temperature flexibility it would offer compared to FL.

Thanks for that....
I am afraid getting an arrangement for hot water seems difficult. I think the new generation TL machines do come with inbuilt water heater, but dunno how much temperature flexibility it would offer compared to FL.
Will increase power consumption. At least a units worth per wash for the amount of water a top loader needs. And since there is a heater the water pressure will be more strictly enforced. The tank should be at least 10 meters above the machine. Unless it's a sammy and then 5 meters is ok

Which brand would be good for a TL machine with 7-8 kg capacity? It would be used by persons who have difficulty with bending and are nearing 60's. Wanted to opt for a FL, but LG or others don't sell pedestal which would have increased the machine's height and hence reduce the bending.
You can get a foot or two tall metal stand made from any metal welding, fabrication shop easily.

From my experience of FL and TL both, FL are full package compared to TL. You may never need to hand wash heavily soiled clothes with FL. With TL you may need to hand wash the clothes first.

Will increase power consumption. At least a units worth per wash for the amount of water a top loader needs. And since there is a heater the water pressure will be more strictly enforced. The tank should be at least 10 meters above the machine. Unless it's a sammy and then 5 meters is ok
That's a shame!! I think we cannot control the amount of water to be taken in automatic TL machine unlike semi automatic ones. Semi machines offers flexibility with water and adding clothes at a later stage should you forget, hence my uncle clinging on to TL semi machine.

That's a shame!! I think we cannot control the amount of water to be taken in automatic TL machine unlike semi automatic ones.
I can't speak for all TL automatics but my last decade old TL automatic had that ability. We can't control the water level but we can set load manually and it's the same thing. TBH, we never used automatic functionality to let it determine the load all by itself. We never knew it can weigh the load until very recently. We would always set the load manually.

If you're going to do that how about a video?
I will not be near the machine for a few days but i will make sure to do it when I'm back.

So you can have 'Scrud' :dead: or just make your life easier and not use fabric conditioner
I used a fabric conditioner once with my old machine and really didn't like how the cloths smelled after using that thing. Not gonna use it with new machine either.
Also, thanks for the informative post.

I can't speak for all TL automatics but my last decade old TL automatic had that ability. We can't control the water level but we can set load manually and it's the same thing. TBH, we never used automatic functionality to let it determine the load all by itself. We never knew it can weigh the load until very recently. We would always set the load manually.
What kind of controls did your previous TL have ? all the models these days are touch panel.

In your unique case, a TL is ruled out !!!
That's a shame!! I think we cannot control the amount of water to be taken in automatic TL machine unlike semi automatic ones. Semi machines offers flexibility with water and adding clothes at a later stage should you forget, hence my uncle clinging on to TL semi machine.
You can set the water level manually in any TL. Or you can let it sense how much is necessary.

What I want to know if the tub is half filled then what water level does the machine think is required ?

Any one with a TL want to tell me

Last edited:
this must be the old married guys section of the forum jk jk how are you poor devils? your wifey making you do the laundry??:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
Wait for your turn.

What kind of controls did your previous TL have ? all the models these days are touch panel.
Screenshot_12.jpg

My machine had water level settings. I thought it was load settings.

What I want to know if the tub is half filled then what water level does the machine think is required ?
We never knew our machine could weigh the clothes so never started without manually setting the water level. But I think any TL would consider it as a full load.

In TL, one can directly pour hot water from the top. Machine recognises changes in water level no matter where the water is coming from.

Last edited:
View attachment 142157

My machine had water level settings. I thought it was load settings.
Isn't that a touch panel control? Buttons look like it. How did it survive 12 years with no problems in your place?
We never knew our machine could weigh the clothes so never started without manually setting the water level. But I think any TL would consider it as a full load.
For a top loader, half full is a full load. So how much water would you add? Full tub or half

I notice people consider full load to be above 70% which is overloading for a top loader.
this must be the old married guys section of the forum jk jk how are you poor devils? your wifey making you do the laundry??:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:
Just another topic to geek out :woot:

You must have noticed on this board people like to play with machines and fiddle with stuff

IRL this topic never comes up. You are just supposed to know what to do. I didn't and had to teach myself because nobody could answer any questions I had.

It was only when I started reading about the problems people were having and did not even understand why those problems happened that I started to get interested.

Confusing was some said the machine died in 3-5 yrs and others saying lasted up to 10 years.

When I lived abroad I used laundrettes, you only need to know how to operate the machine. Once you become an owner and don't want to replace at 3-5 yr frequency you need to understand what not to do. But only a handful can tell you this. Rest can only say the machine died and it took this long.

Last edited:
Isn't that a touch panel control? Buttons look like it. How did it survive 12 years with no problems in your place?

For a top loader, half full is a full load. So how much water would you add? Full tub or half

I notice people consider full load to be above 70% which is overloading for a top loader.

Just another topic to geek out :woot:

You must have noticed on this board people like to play with machines and fiddle with stuff

IRL this topic never comes up. You are just supposed to know what to do. I didn't and had to teach myself because nobody could answer any questions I had.

It was only when I started reading about the problems people were having and did not even understand why those problems happened that I started to get interested.

Confusing was some said the machine died in 3-5 yrs and others saying lasted up to 10 years.

When I lived abroad I used laundrettes, you only need to know how to operate the machine. Once you become an owner and don't want to replace at 3-5 yr frequency you need to understand what not to do. But only a handful can tell you this. Rest can only say the machine died and it took this long.
I guess washing machines are as good as any other machine to geek out , I wouldn't know how to operate one , I have always just relied on delivery laundromats and services of my mom for all the laundry needs :tearsofjoy:

It's not touch panel. The buttons go deep and need a lot of pressing. And who said it worked without problems? I have opened it at least 5 times myself to fix it. In the end, I couldn't not get a spare impeller wheel which ended washing 5 years ago and it has been used as dryer only ever since.

70% sound about right for full load. Too much water can't get very turbulent. So cleaning efficiency is less.

I will not be near the machine for a few days but i will make sure to do it when I'm back.
What I want to understand is which water level the auto picks for a full load ?

To do that you need to see to what height the manual settings, 3,5 and 10 fill the tank up.

First thing is to confirm whether those three manual settings match the graphic in the manual.

So at level 3 is the tank exactly half full or half the metal part?

At level 5 is it 75% full?

And how high is full at 10? All the metallic part or lower and if so how much lower

You can do this with the tank empty as I don't think load sensing is used when setting water level manually.

Once you know that, fill the tank exactly half full with clothes. And then see what level auto thinks is enough water for that load.

I suppose the heavier the load more water will be added and lighter should be closer to halfway.

If you have a luggage scale you will be able to tell what water level corresponds to what weight

Last edited:
I am also looking to replace my old top loader. Looking for another top loader. Budget is 20k. Anyone using these LG models?

What is the model# of your present top loader and its tub volume ?

These models look really small

In case you were wondering what the tune it plays at the end and where it comes from...

No idea where the LG tune comes from as yet

Oh. It's the favorite of James Moriarty. LG will be the opposite. Find what Sherlock Holmes likes. Look for some victorian era composer preferably a violinist.

No luck on that but an interesting avenue to pursue

In The Red-Headed League, Holmes tells Watson he prefers German music to French or Italian. Holmes attends a concert of German works given by Pablo de Sarasate (pictured) at St. James’s Hall. “It is introspective, and I want to instrospect.” Holmes says.

Getting warmer

In A Study in Scarlet, Dr. Watson describes Holmes’s skill on the violin as “very remarkable, but as eccentric as all his other accomplishments. That he could play pieces, and difficult pieces, I knew well, because at my request he has played me some of Mendelssohn’s Lieder and other favourites.”
Aha!

LG washer song.jpg

LG must have commissioned it

Last edited:
Back