Budget 90k+ Future Proof PC for Home/Office

If you are really planning to future-proof this build, I would recommend you to go for DDR4 based build. And I think you should switch back to 750i PSU. And to compensate the expense, you can remove the H100i as stock cooler will do great for your needs, sound card wont be necessary and it would be worth your while if you wait for the 950 TI. And finally, I'd ditch the surge protector, which are over priced in this country, and just invest on a solid UPS.

Nowadays GFX card has become the most important part of a system. I too would suggest to lose the sound card and invest in a good gfx card. Most good motherboards have HD audio already onboard.

I'm sorry but i disagree with the last 3 posts because:
a) the OP is looking for an office/home pc and gaming is not mentioned in the list of uses.
b) the performance difference between ddr3 and ddr4 is negligible but the price difference is vast. ddr4 is right now a skylake exclusive and not backwards compatible so that's more money on an lga 2011 cpu and mobo. i'm a gamer and even I wouldn't make the switch to ddr4 even if i had the money for it. Just not worth it from any angle imo.
c) getting the latest cpu is no guarantee of a future proof system. intel have shown that with a nearly annual change in sockets and amd proved it with over half a decade of cmt based architectures.

@OP: to keep a pc future proof then all you need is to focus on potential bottlenecks and given your usage the only bottlenecks i can foresee are the hard disk (which is solved with an ssd) and maybe needing more ram (which your mobo can easily accommodate) both of which you need only consider after 2-3 years given the config you posted.

w.r.t. the psu. you only require something in the 400-450 watt range because you won't be overclocking anything and you'r not installing a discrete gpu.
my suggested build:
cpu - core i5 4440/4460 (cheaper core i5 and given your intended usage you won't notice any difference)
mobo - asus h97 (or similar h97 based board as that chipset has a good amount of features without going into the 'hardcore pc' price range)
ram - 8gb ddr3 ram (you can get 16gb now if you don't want to bother with adding more later on)
psu - seasonic s12 430w (seasonic makes the best quality psu's and worth the premium over the others)

the rest of the build you posted is perfect.
for the ram, apart from gskill, corsair and kingston can also be considered. go with the cheaper option.
for the psu i'm suggesting a much lower capacity model because i estimate your pc's peak power draw at ~250-275 watts and a psu is generally most efficient at 50-60% load.
avoid gigabyte mobo's as they have started doing lot of corner cutting and other shady practices.

now, the main reason i'm suggesting cheaper components even though you have the budget for faster parts, is because you can better spend the extra money where it matters w.r.t. your needs i.e.
yes, you can get a nice sound card and a kick-*** speaker system
also, any extra money can go towards a bigger monitor for those hd movies

Last edited:
@Crapmypants I understand your point and at the same time disappointed that you, as a gamer, feel DDR4 is irrelevant for a future proof builds. DDR3, in about 3 years, it would probably be somewhere near where DDR2 is right now and would cost an arm. OP has not mentioned about gaming but did mention about future proofing, which means at any time he might decide to start gaming, 3D modelling, heavy memory utilizing programs, etc.,

Bottom line, you either finish building a future proof build or you'll end up building a home/office only pc that doesn't require anywhere near 90k+ budget.

I understand your point and at the same time disappointed that you, as a gamer, feel DDR4 is irrelevant for a future proof builds.
ddr4 at this point provides little real world benefit. now i understand you expect that to change in the near future but that's not a given. for his stated use of this pc even ddr3's bandwidth will be overkill. no point in paying more for something he will never use.
not to mention that this all depends on whether future ddr4 modules can outpace their ddr3 predecessors significantly.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/8959/...-3200-with-gskill-corsair-adata-and-crucial/8

DDR3, in about 3 years, it would probably be somewhere near where DDR2 is right now and would cost an arm.
ddr2 had a short lifespan(2003-2007) because ddr3 adoption by intel and amd was swift. ddr3 has been mainstream since 2009 and has remained so since. Sure ddr3 might become more expensive than ddr4 in 3 years time but can you be sure? why pay the premium now ? your suggesting he spend an arm now to save the cost of an arm in the future?
ddr4 adoption has been slow because skylake is the only platform for ddr4 right now. zen wont be out till late 2016.

OP has not mentioned about gaming but did mention about future proofing, which means at any time he might decide to start gaming, 3D modelling, heavy memory utilizing programs, etc.,
again, another big IF.
future-proofing means future-proofing for the stated task. not for every conceivable eventuality.
just because the OP has a large budget doesn't mean we make wasteful suggestions.
when it comes to home/office usage, the bottleneck has always been the disk subsystem. if anything, a faster ssd would make this more future proof than ddr4.
and even if the op does start gaming or 3d modelling work, having ddr4 will not exempt him from the need to get a discrete gpu. thus the 'future-proof' pc needs more money pumped into it regardless.

Also, ddr itself is going the way of the dodo. ddr4 is it's last iteration. on-die memory (like hbm) is what (imo) will take over.

Last edited:
If we are suggesting just for the "stated task", then a mere laptop can handle everything OP is after.

Anyway, we could go on arguing about this but let me just finish it with 2 main misinformation over here:
1. DDR4 support is not in just Skylake. It has been supported since Haswell (5820k)
2. Future-proofing DOES NOT mean future-proofing for the stated task. It means prepping for something that we are not aware of. Which is why the emphasis of an future-proof builds needs to be on "What If" not "What's needed".

Relax people, OP already bought all the components in March.. someone just bumped the thread recently :p

'Future proof' is a fallacy. Everyone arguing the merits of DDR4 are implying the OP will need to 'upgrade' his RAM.
DDR2 prices haven't gone up, they just stopped going down. The best prices were always ~2k for 2GB of DDR2.

1. DDR4 support is not in just Skylake. It has been supported since Haswell (5820k)
Actually he did mention the LGA 2011 platform :-
ddr4 is right now a skylake exclusive and not backwards compatible so that's more money on an lga 2011 cpu and mobo.

apparently Dell has two factories/warehouses from where they ship products. One is in an SEZ. So the prices depend on which warehouse the salesperson is sourcing the products from. Apart from that, some good old fashioned bargaining is needed :)

I got a quote for 35K first and then 29K after asking for discounts. After that I asked them for additional discounts if I purchase two monitors. They reduced the price to 23K. Then I haggled some more and got the price reduced to around 19K :)

This is the first quotation I received 2 days back:

i6BqcS3.png

then this one:

Kchhb2J.png

then I asked for discounts for two monitors and go this:

PdVKzwZ.png

and this is the final quotation:

07vrcjh.png
That is a fantastic price. I contacted Dell and they say they dont have this in stock currently but can procure for 27,000 !!!!! Also offered 17,200 on the U2412M. I have been using your post to negotiate with them but response has been slow from them.
I also spoke to a Dell showroom here in Mumbai and they are quoting 24,490, but they say if I can furnish the quote with this price, they will try to match it. Any chance you can share a fuller version of this quote?

Back