Galaxy S2 or some other phone ?

nitmeh3

Disciple
I am getting a Brand Spanking New SGS2 for 18.5K (after exchange with a Samsung Wave S8500 for 8.5k). Hows the deal ?

Please tell me the CONS of the SGS2 asap as i am going to get the beast tomorrow morning ! Super duper excited :rofl::rofl::rofl: :clap:. Earlier i had narrowed down to Motorola Photon (20-21K ) without warranty. But somehow Dad agreed for the phone i told him about the exchange thing :D

So SGS2 is THE BEST phone in the international market AT THE MOMENT right ? And I feel Galaxy Nexus is too big and Droid Razr again without warranty doesn't sound too good and safe. Right? HTC Sensation i believe is not better than SGS2

I upgraded from the Wave 8500, SGS2 is a great phone, but..

- Voice Call Volume Specially w/ Earphones is pathetic.

- Wifi signals drop way faster than the wave 8500.

- It's Touch Wiz, again.

- There are banding issues.

Not writing the Pros here because you already know it's buttery smooth, Android, super display etc etc. I'm extremely happy with my SGS2.

If you do feel that SGS2 is better than Sensation etc go for it ICS should make things better. Price is good too.

^ Does it have those issues like the Wave? Like my Wave would give DNS Error many a times , even though all settings used to be perfect ! And how is the GPS? Wave was terrible with it. And what exactly do you mean by "banding issues" ??

its an awesome phone but it has gott its share of defects most common is the yellowish tint in the left hand corner which is only visible on dial pad and a white background that too at low brightness only at high brightness you just can see the tint so if you gonna buy sg2 check for it by making brightness 0 and on white background

the other one is some have reported a green dot on the screen that doesnt go away

excluding these i doubt it has any cons that you need to worry about

nitmeh3 said:
^ Does it have those issues like the Wave? Like my Wave would give DNS Error many a times , even though all settings used to be perfect ! And how is the GPS? Wave was terrible with it. And what exactly do you mean by "banding issues" ??

No DNS error, no Memory errors experienced on Wave. Nothing, "perfect" web experience! 4.3" screen makes reading, surfing watching videos or flipping through photos such a pleasure.

GPS works just fine, but you'd better check out some reviews on Youtube (mobileburn) or Engadget.

I was blissfully unaware of the banding issue till one thread on TE spoiled it for me :p You can search TE for it.

TBH, only somebody who has used a screen with a better ppi will be able to tell. But you look it up anyways.

Battery Life - Display maximum brightness, no power saving, GPRS is Always ON, Push service on, automatic market updates on, approx an hour of surfing, atleast 1 hr of calling - lasts me approx 15 hrs. i.e. lesser than the Wave but then no point comparing the 2 because you'll be able to do tons of stuff on the SGS2

i had upgraded from the S8500 to S2 at a awesome deal of 16k..
the phone lasts for a day with my usage of few hours of wifi,gaming and application usage.
only thing to look out for is any screen defects such as yellow tinge!!
its a superb phone and you will love the upgrade.

Not to get disheartened. You can make it last more than 1 day (just about) by using it conservatively, power saving it etc.

I doubt any smartphone lasts over a day w/ heavy usage. If it does you are not using it right and should get a regular phone :p

1. No phone will last you 3 years. For that buy a regular Nokia or Sony Ericson, not Android. The only real phone which lasts >2 years is the iPhone because of its regular updates.

2. The battery life of the Galaxy S2 is one of the best if not the best ever for any android phone in history. With heavy usage, half to three fourth a day is supposed to be awesome for such phones. Rest assured, it is definitely much better than what my Nokia 5800 or X6 ever gave me.

3. The cons are neglible compared to the pros.

4. But if you really want to last >2 years, I would suggest Iphone 4 because it would be updated regularly. Android phones are meant to last at most 9-18 months max. And since you are already late and the cycles are shifting, don't eye more than 6-9 months life from it.

Actually the battery goes down real fast when you're gaming on it but otherwise with normal usage it easily lasts over a day.

The in-call volume with the earphones is just pathetic and barely usable if you're at even a slightly noisy place.

Heats up a lot during gaming, etc.

The touchscreen in mine also becomes slightly unresponsive during charging but till now I didn't notice any colored spot issues.

Other than those, its a pretty good phone and fast too.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

rite said:
Android phones are meant to last at most 9-18 months max. And since you are already late and the cycles are shifting, don't eye more than 6-9 months life from it.

What is meant by life here? :cool2:

Won't the Galaxy S be getting the ICS ? I think it should. For me , i would be using this phone for 2-2.5 years , so i guess SGS2 would be the right choice?

How is the normal voice call clarity ? I mean without earphones. How is the audio loudspeaker ?

rite said:
4. But if you really want to last >2 years, I would suggest Iphone 4 because it would be updated regularly. Android phones are meant to last at most 9-18 months max. And since you are already late and the cycles are shifting, don't eye more than 6-9 months life from it.

Why do you need keep updating you Android OS if its not needed . You be with stable OS and just update the apps ,even thats gets boring after some time and you will be saturated with what you have now .

Just like most of them are still with windows XP . Its works fine .

SGS2 will definitely get an official ICS update, so no worries there. If it does not any time soon be assured that there will be custom ROMS floating in some time. Keep checking XDA forums for that.

Go for it, specially if you have been unable to do "smartphone" stuff on your Wave.

Back