Gamespot fires Jeff Gerstmann for reviewing honestly?

Params7

Skilled
Penny Arcade 11/30/2007 Jeff Gerstmann fired from Gamespot, allegedly for K&L review - NeoGAF

Rumor: Gamespot Editor Fired Over Kane & Lynch Review?

The news hasn't broken out into the press yet, but I guess will be pretty soon, either that or Cnet is doing damage control right now.
20071129.jpg

This is big. Like a big incident that instantly ruins your business to all lows. GS lost credibility for me when they wouldn't review a single exclusive ps3 game more than 8.5 when a handful of them have been deserving and have gotten good scores by other outlets like IGN (Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Warhawk), and it was only a matter of time before their ethics spilled for the real world to watch.
Well, GL to GS :p

yup, gamespot's reviews are getting worse now. Earlier they used to do an in-depth review but nowadays most review seem hurried-up.

never really did like jeff's reviews.. that guy was made for controversy..

would take navarro's reviews over his any day..

anyway if this is true... Gamespot might just be going down that drainhole its been staring at for soo long.. its gonna lose even de lil credibility it has left

there is no reason to fire some for seeing what he feels and calling the shots.

i think this is like a loss in the critic business for the gaming industry

We've heard an unsettling rumor today from an anonymous tipster that longtime game reviewer Jeff Gerstmann from Gamespot has been let go. That wouldn't necessarily be newsworthy, but the conditions under which he was allegedly dismissed were. According to the source, Gerstmann was fired "on the spot" due to advertiser pressure for his review of Eidos' Kane & Lynch: Dead Men. A visit to Gamespot shows that the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 game has taken over the site very prominently, with backgrounds and multiple banner ads all pitching Kane & Lynch. Allegedly, publisher Eidos "took issue with the review and threatened to pull its ad campaign."

Source

Unbelievably retarded :\ after Kasavin left GameSpot, Gerstmann was my favorite reviewer:(

another thread is already up abt this in de console forum.. mods could merge i guess..

@evox.. are there any non-ad-supported 'pro' game review sites at all?

sTALKEr said:
another thread is already up abt this in de console forum.. mods could merge i guess..

@evox.. are there any non-ad-supported 'pro' game review sites at all?

Not really. that's why I always base my opinion on forum posts.

Oh, do not start me on IGN. I was looking at next-gen console reviews of PES2008 and most sites gave it average-bad reviews (gamespot-6.0) because of horrendous online gameplay and lag in PS3 offline gameplay. A lot of people on different forums say the PS3 version is almost unplayable.BUt IGN gave it a 9.2.
Then after a few days, I installed the game on my PC, and I realise why. IGN.com adboards kept popping up in game.

whatsinaname said:
Oh, do not start me on IGN. I was looking at next-gen console reviews of PES2008 and most sites gave it average-bad reviews (gamespot-6.0) because of horrendous online gameplay and lag in PS3 offline gameplay. A lot of people on different forums say the PS3 version is almost unplayable.BUt IGN gave it a 9.2.

Then after a few days, I installed the game on my PC, and I realise why. IGN.com adboards kept popping up in game.

IGN/GameSpy/GameInformer/CVG are pure shills. GameSpot was one publication I trusted... :\

whatsinaname said:

Not only adboards.
IGN.COM logo is clearly visible below the halftime stats/scores screen that comes up during half-time.
Gerstmann and Navarro's reviews were good, and I was just seeing his intro to the latest wwf game on GS :(.

I stopped reading reviews a long time ago from websites. I only use them for news and media info nowadays. I get all the gaming impressions from various other forums which I find far more informative and satisfying.

Just look at the user reviews of kane & Lynch.All the gamespot users are in rage with this game.

Link

I liked his on the spot and reviews very much and now he is gone :(

Nobody has mentioned any alternatives to GS for reviews or IGN.

If that's the case, it looks like forums will be the only source for 'objective' reviews.

Could the game criticising business not be adding anything significant to the bottom line ?

neogaf has brilliant mods. They blocked all domains asociated with Eidos/gamespot and all discussion of any games made by Eidos. They just appear as **** & ****.
:rofl:

Back