Budget 21-30k Gaming CPU Upgrade

Anil Patel

Recruit
  • What is your budget?
  • What is your existing hardware configuration (component name - component brand and model)
    • CPU - AMD PHENOM X4 840
    • Motherboard - GIGABYTE - GA-880GM-USB3(3.1)
    • GPU - NONE
    • RAM - Simtronics 4GB DDR3
    • Monitor - LG 18.5 (1366x768)
    • SMPS - eXtreme Power Plus 460W
    • HDD - WD 320GB & WD 1TB
  • Which hardware will you be keeping (component name - component brand and model)
  • RAM - Simtronics 4GB DDR3
  • Monitor - LG 18.5 (1366x768)
  • SMPS - eXtreme Power Plus 460W (Not compulsary though)
  • HDD - WD 320GB & WD 1TB
  • Which hardware component are you looking to buy (component name). If you have already decided on a configuration then please mention the (component brand and model) as well, this will help us in fine tuning your requirement.
    • CPU - FX6300
    • Motherboard - any compatible motherboard
    • GPU - GIGABYT GV-N660OC-2GD, or ASUS 650ti Boost or ATI 7850 1GB
    • A gud budget Cabbinet with proper cooling and wire management please suggest
  • Is this going to be your final configuration or you would be adding/upgrading a component in near future. If yes then please mention when and which component
    • May get a Full HD monitor but not before 6 months
    • other hardware Not upgrading till 1 year or 2
  • Where will you buy this hardware? (Online/City/TE Dealer)
    • Delhi
    • Online or Local wherever I get best deal
  • Would you consider buying a second hand hardware from the TE market
    • No
  • What is your intended use for this PC/hardware
    • Gaming
    • Watching HD movies
    • Will use as download machine also avg. 10-14 hours a day
  • Do you have any brand preference or dislike? Please name them and the reason for your preference/dislike.
    • Please suggest those brands only who have very good after sale services
  • If you will be playing games then which type of games will you be playing?
    • All types except strategy
    • AC4, BF4, Watch dogs, GRID2 and all upcoming games
  • What is your preferred monitor resolution for gaming and normal usage
    1. Gaming - 1366x768
    2. Desktop - 1366x768
  • Are you looking to overclock?
    • Yes.. but not pushing it far
  • Which operating system do you intend to use with this configuration?
    • Windows 7 32 bit

I don't think the FX6300 is much of an upgrade from your current Phenom II X4 840.
Your current motherboard supports an FX8120. Just buy that along with a good PSU like the 520W Seasonic S12II 520.
That should cost you about Rs.15,000. Add an AMD 7750/7700 @ about 7000-8000, and a cabinet @ 3000 and that should eat up your entire budget.

But, if I was you, I'd skip buying a new CPU, and buy a new monitor instead. You should be able to get a 24inch 1920*1080 monitor for about 10-11 thousand, and that along with a new GPU will give you a better gaming/computing experience than a CPU upgrade.

^ What he said. Better to skip a CPU upgrade and but a full HD monitor instead. Along with it, a 660 or 7850 would be decent for 1080p.

@ch@ts - Something like this, right ?

Recommended Upgrade -

Monitor - Dell S2240L 21.5 inch LED Backlit LCD Monitor - Flipkart.com 9.4k

Power Supply - Seasonic S12II 520 Watts PSU - Flipkart.com 4.5k

Graphic Card - Sapphire ATI HD 7770 1GB GDDR5 8.7K

Cabinet - BitFenix Merc Alpha - Flipkart.com 3.3 k

TOTALS - 26K

OPTIONAL:

Processor - AMD 3.5 GHz AM3 10K

Last edited by a moderator:
My bad, I didn't see your PSU. I strongly suggest you to upgrade your PSU to a better quality one before buying a GPU.
Seasonic S12II 520W - 4.5k
660 or 7850 GPU ~15k
Dell ST2240L ~ 9.3k

A little over your budget, but you will need a better PSU if you're buying a GPU.

What you really need is a good mid-range GPU and a good power supply and perhaps, a good display if you can invest in a bit more. I wouldn’t worry much about a larger display but investing that amount in an SSD will give you a noticeable boost in the overall system performance - games wouldn’t get any frame rate boost however.

Get a HD7870 2 GB GPU and a Seasonic S12II 520/620.

http://www.flipkart.com/xfx-ati-rad...7870&ref=ac340107-21b5-4b20-86ae-6b4767c3fc34

http://www.snapdeal.com/product/seasonic-620w-power-supply/1379207?pos=10;21

Sell your old power supply (you wouldn't get much resale value for that), pool in a bit more and get a good SSD. Evaluate your options and decide.

His current monitor is a 19" 1366x768. It doesn't make sense spending on a 7870 unless he upgrades his monitor too. :)

The lower resolution will let him play all the titles with higher frame rates. If the same GPU was used with a 1080p/1200p display, one would naturally get lesser framerates owing to the higher pixel count on the larger display.

Besides, he has mentioned this in the OP:

May get a Full HD monitor but not before 6 months

@All.. Thankx for your valuable suggestions... I wz thinking that my CPU will be the bottleneck, if I get a decent GPU..

now plz tell hwz CORSAIR CX500.. is it sufficient for 660ti or 7850 ??? because its available for 3600 Only..

Get cx600 locally/ seasonic 520w for 4072 frm snapdeal...

Okie thanks bro... So now here my list finalized.

GPU . . 660 or 7850
PSU .. .CX600 or Seasonic 520w
LED monitor . .. 22 or 24 inch I will check locally..
Cabinet.. elite 311 or http://www.snapdeal.com/product/cooler-master-chassis-force-500/1427941?pos=3;81

and also suggest any budget UPS.. with 5-10 min backup....

Then later I will get CPU if necessary...

correct me if my choices are wrong....

Okie thanks bro... So now here my list finalized.

GPU . . 660 or 7850
PSU .. .CX600 or Seasonic 520w
LED monitor . .. 22 or 24 inch I will check locally..
Cabinet.. elite 311 or http://www.snapdeal.com/product/cooler-master-chassis-force-500/1427941?pos=3;81

and also suggest any budget UPS.. with 5-10 min backup....

Then later I will get CPU if necessary...

correct me if my choices are wrong....

The config seems ok, the Cabinet is an entry level CM series, but one that seats the PSU at the bottom, which is better for air flow and heat dissipation. As for the UPS, go with APC 600va should be around 2k.

The Seasonic S12II 520W is a better power supply for a few hundred more than the Corsair CX series.
Which cabinet do you currently have? Don't spend on a cabinet if your budget doesn't permit. Prioritize on other components. If you can buy all means get one.
NZXT Gamma/Source 210 are decent cabinets but around 2.5k.

The Seasonic S12II 520W is a better power supply for a few hundred more than the Corsair CX series.
Which cabinet do you currently have? Don't spend on a cabinet if your budget doesn't permit. Prioritize on other components. If you can buy all means get one.
NZXT Gamma/Source 210 are decent cabinets but around 2.5k.

Currently I have a local Circle Cabinet which is very conjusted... it needs to be changed...
Tomorrow I will go Nehru Place (Delhi) and will get all these components if available at good price.. else will order online..

Flipkart has 5% off on cards and boards today

Gigabyte 7850 2gb OC for 14.5k with emi
http://www.flipkart.com/m/gigabyte-...D9HHSMYFMGVEP&fromSearch=true&otracker=search

Seasonic 520w for 4072 frm snapdeal

Order these things asap and rest will also let you know

The build quality of Gigabyte gpus not look.. and I doubt there service too...
I am looking for ASUS or MSI products.. bt as of now MSI is also out.. cause its pulling back all services from india.. read somewhere in this forum only..
AND faith already lost on SAPHIRE products.. (HD7770 got wasted in just 6 months.. and they dint give any RMA of same)

So ASUS is left only..

Currently I have a local Circle Cabinet which is very conjusted... it needs to be changed...
Tomorrow I will go Nehru Place (Delhi) and will get all these components if available at good price.. else will order online..

The build quality of Gigabyte gpus not look.. and I doubt there service too...
I am looking for ASUS or MSI products.. bt as of now MSI is also out.. cause its pulling back all services from india.. read somewhere in this forum only..
AND faith already lost on SAPHIRE products.. (HD7770 got wasted in just 6 months.. and they dint give any RMA of same)

So ASUS is left only..
Just ordered Asus 660 DC2 from Flipkart. I Think this is the best deal and the major benefit is that they have those in ready stock with instant shipping.

BTW why Sapphire is not honoring warranty for your 7770?

Just ordered Asus 660 DC2 from Flipkart. I Think this is the best deal and the major benefit is that they have those in ready stock with instant shipping.

BTW why Sapphire is not honoring warranty for your 7770?

They are saying its rusty and no warranty for rusted products... though there is very little rust on the screws of fan..
I think its due to the pooor build quality of saphire... and the humid climate..

Try booting while keeping the motherboard on a piece of cardboard, you may not have installed the motherboard correctly in the new cabinet and something could be shorting it out. Check the stand-offs to see that you haven't installed any extra ones.

Try resetting the BIO's. That helps sometimes.

It's the monsoon. A little dust and a little moisture can create big problems. Try cleaning everything gently with a soft brush/ air blower.

Try booting up with only the CPU and 1 stick of RAM installed. Change the RAM slot and see if that helps. Clean the RAM slots and RAM while you're at it.

Recheck all your connections, and make sure you've got all the power connecters connected.

Try booting while keeping the motherboard on a piece of cardboard, you may not have installed the motherboard correctly in the new cabinet and something could be shorting it out. Check the stand-offs to see that you haven't installed any extra ones.

Try resetting the BIO's. That helps sometimes.

It's the monsoon. A little dust and a little moisture can create big problems. Try cleaning everything gently with a soft brush/ air blower.

Try booting up with only the CPU and 1 stick of RAM installed. Change the RAM slot and see if that helps. Clean the RAM slots and RAM while you're at it.

Recheck all your connections, and make sure you've got all the power connecters connected.

I did all d troubleshoot as mentioned by you many times... dint helped though..
tomorrow I will RMA the MOBO... nd check PSU also on other PC's in offce

Back