Gaming HTPC - Budget 40000 INR

smalltiger_s

Disciple
Hi Friends,

i am planning to buy a new HTPC and have a budget of around 40,000 INR (+ 5000 INR)

The following are my requirements:
1. Video Output to 32 HD LCD TV (so no monitor required)
2. Sound output to Logitec Z 5500
3. want a system with Wireless keyboard & mouse
4. Should have wifi & bluetooth
5. should have blue ray capability (reader a must, BD-writer would be a dream in this budget)

Usage from system:
1. Gaming (should be able to play all current games at mid to high resolution and future games at mid/low resolutions
2. Direct 11.0
3. Internet surfing - so require an OS
4. Home Theater use- watching movies - 70% time, 30% listening to songs

Also how are - Dell Zino HD, Bragpc.com's FJ8. Please advise guys who have built your own HTPCs

Please consider me as a noob.

Processor Core i3 2100 5300
Motherboard Intel DH67BL(B3) 5100
RAM Corsair 4GB DDRIII 1333MHz 1350
HDD Seagate 1TB 7200.12 2750
GPU MSI Cyclone OC HD6850 1GB GDDR5 PE 9350
Cabinet NZXT Gamma 2100
PSU Seasonic S12II 430w/ Corsair VX450 3000
Sound Card ASUS Xonar DX 4200
Key Board Logitech Wireless Desktop MK320 1200

total comes approx 34 k.bluray rw's cost anywhere from 6 to 7 k.

^^

Intel Core i5 2400 ~ 8800/-
Intel DH67-BL ~ 5200/-
Corsair XMS3 1600 MHz 4GB x 1 ~ 1550/-
Seagate 2 x 500GB OR 1TB ~ 3400/- OR 2900/- [configure these in RAID 0 for better performance OR RAID 1 to ensure data redundancy --RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia]
MSi HD 6850 Cyclone edition ~ 9250/-
NXZT Gamma ~ 2100/- + 2 x 120mm fans ~ 450/- [a great cabinet with 2 x fans to setup an airflow system -- NZXT Gamma Review - Overclockers Club]
Corsair VX 450W OR Cooler Master GX 450W ~ 3300/-
Logitech / Microsoft wireless multimedia combo ~ 2000/- TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop 700 Keyboard & Mouse M7A-00025 - TheITwares.

Hope this help, Sire. Cheers!!

Since all the configs given were for intel, here is an AMD Llano config, modified, from here:http://www.techenclave.com/pc-buyin...an-technology-community-pc-buying-196627.html

Components Description Price (INR)
Processor AMD LLANO A3850 6900
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H 6600
RAM G.Skill Sniper 2*4GB DDRIII 1600MHz 3000
HDD(OS) Seagate 1TB 7200.12 2800
HDD(MOVIES) Seagate 2TB 3900
GPU Integrated AMD HD6550D -
Cabinet Silverstone SG02B 4500
PSU/SMPS FSP SAGAII 350w 1500
Key Board Logitech Wireless Desktop MK320 1200
Mouse NA -
ODD LITEON 4X BD ROM 5000

If you feel that the internal GPU is not capable of handling gaming@720p, drop the RAM to 4GB, Remove the 2nd HDD for movies, swap the Silverstone case for a NZXT Gamma, swap the FSP SAGA for a Corsair VX450/Seasonic 520, and put in a AMD 6850 GPU.

Bluetooth and wifi dongles will collectively cost around 1000max, and enter usb bt dongle comes for 150 bucks, asus 150 mbps wifi n dongle is 750 bucks approx.

Also, you can upgrade from the BD-ROM to BDRW for another 2k.

Total cost 36,300 w/ BDROM, w/ BDRW~38k.

Links

BDROM:Buy Liteon 4X Bluray ROM In Mumbai India
BD-RW:LG Super Multi Blu ray OEM | BuyBlu ray In Pune | Buy Blu ray OEM

^ the above 2 configs are great.especially if the op can increase his budget for a i52400 than it would be awesome

@ alpha and vivek - guys can i know any reason you guy's skipped on the soundcard?i have had my experiences with onboard sound and a dedicated soundcard especially for 5.1 surround sound using dts and dolby digital.

@ op do not make a htpc without a soundcard.there will be a feeling that you are missing something.trust me! just saw that you have a z5550,it will be rude of you to use such a awesome setup on onboard sound.

vivek.krishnan said:
Since all the configs given were for intel, here is an AMD Llano config, modified, from here:http://www.techenclave.com/pc-buyin...an-technology-community-pc-buying-196627.html

Processor AMD LLANO A3850 6900

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-A75M-D2H 6600

Cabinet Silverstone SG02B 4500

If you feel that the internal GPU is not capable of handling gaming@720p, drop the RAM to 4GB, Remove the 2nd HDD for movies, swap the Silverstone case for a NZXT Gamma, swap the FSP SAGA for a Corsair VX450/Seasonic 520, and put in a AMD 6850 GPU.

[/url]

Not to impung on your stand Sire, but I feel the AMD Llano is not fully suited if you are buying a graphics card for gaming purposes, it is suitable for HTPC + light gaming duties configuration. Also it seems AMD Trinity will use a different socket [FM-X] according to speculations, so no upgrade path unfortunately.

Also I feel the NZXT Gamma is a much better cabinet compared to the Silverstone Sugo, which will suffer from airflow restrictions [not good for the graphics card].

vantheman5211 said:
^ the above 2 configs are great.especially if the op can increase his budget for a i52400 than it would be awesome

@ alpha and vivek - guys can i know any reason you guy's skipped on the soundcard?i have had my experiences with onboard sound and a dedicated soundcard especially for 5.1 surround sound using dts and dolby digital.

@ op do not make a htpc without a soundcard.there will be a feeling that you are missing something.trust me! just saw that you have a z5550,it will be rude of you to use such a awesome setup on onboard sound.

I don't have experience of a sound-card + speaker set-up so in this case I defer to you. No suggests mean I can't back up my theory with credible backup so best stay mum on the issue.

So well checked, Sire. Cheers!!

vantheman5211 said:

Actually, since i am conecting using the HDMI interface to my 46 incher, skipped on the soundcard. But if you feel that it is a must, then OP can add it as have left around 3.5K free.
ALPHA17 said:
Not to impung on your stand Sire, but I feel the AMD Llano is not fully suited if you are buying a graphics card for gaming purposes, it is suitable for HTPC + light gaming duties configuration. Also it seems AMD Trinity will use a different socket [FM-X] according to speculations, so no upgrade path unfortunately.

Also I feel the NZXT Gamma is a much better cabinet compared to the Silverstone Sugo, which will suffer from airflow restrictions [not good for the graphics card].

Well, for basic 720p gaming, the 6550 IGP delivers, but if OP wants to game at higher resolution & settings, he will have to add the GPU. Have also mentioned that he must swap the silverstone cabinet for a NZXT gamma+change PSU.

Processor Intel i5 2400 9200

Motherboard Intel DH67-BL 5200

RAM G.Skill RipjawsX 1x4GB 1600MHz 1600

HDD(OS) Seagate 1TB 7200.12 2800

GPU MSI 6850 Cyclone 9300

Cabinet NZXT Gamma 2100

PSU Seasonic S12II 520w 3500

Key Board+Mouse Logitech Wireless Desktop MK320 1200

TOTAL 39900

If you have a little more cash, you can get the LG Blu-ray writer for 6500.

Since you have a Z5500, you can take an optical out from the motherboard and connect to your Z5500 for great sound quality, so you can skip on the sound card. ;)

Add more hdds for storage if you need.

^ Dude I'm not talking about onboard. Take a digital output from your motherboard, so it won't use the onboard DAC and will use the DAC in Z5500 instead.

^Bang on there VB! There is absolutely no point in adding a sound card to a HTPC if the sound is streamed (LPCM or otherwise) via the optical/coaxial out or the HDMI out and the OP wishes to connect an AVR to the HTPC.

If it is some low end 5.1 speaker setup which accepts only analog inputs, then a sound card may possibly make some difference in the SQ.

Thanks a lot for all your responses and my apologies in not being able to write earlier!!!

@vantheman5211 & @ALPHA17 @viralbug thanks for you configuration. it looks great. i have one query, the cabinet looks like a ATX. i am looking to keep the form factor minimal so was looking somthing like Dell Zino HD or Mav Mini(i know that is too small) but still something like Micro ATX

@vivek.krishnan love your configuration. can't we fit a manistream CPU and GPU inside the same cabinet?

@vantheman5211 if cost is an issue, then does it not make sense for me to go with AMD CPU?

@Gannui @vantheman5211 am 100% with you. the sound needs to be great :)

Please friends some more insights around AMD CPU and dedicated GPU within a small form factor like sliver stone cabinet is what i had in mind!!

Has anyone ordered the BragPC.com's FJ8 HTPC??

viralbug said:
^ Dude I'm not talking about onboard. Take a digital output from your motherboard, so it won't use the onboard DAC and will use the DAC in Z5500 instead.

i was not aware of this at all viral.this is a interesting concept indeed.

smalltiger_s said:
Thanks a lot for all your responses and my apologies in not being able to write earlier!!!

@vantheman5211 & @ALPHA17 @viralbug thanks for you configuration. it looks great. i have one query, the cabinet looks like a ATX. i am looking to keep the form factor minimal so was looking somthing like Dell Zino HD or Mav Mini(i know that is too small) but still something like Micro ATX

@vivek.krishnan love your configuration. can't we fit a manistream CPU and GPU inside the same cabinet?

@vantheman5211 if cost is an issue, then does it not make sense for me to go with AMD CPU?

@Gannui @vantheman5211 am 100% with you. the sound needs to be great :)

Please friends some more insights around AMD CPU and dedicated GPU within a small form factor like sliver stone cabinet is what i had in mind!!

Has anyone ordered the BragPC.com's FJ8 HTPC??

Well, considering you want to play the latest games at decent resolutions, this is the config you should look to get. The AMD APUs won't be able to handle games at medium resolutions.

Considering you are getting a decently powerful graphic card, I wouldn't suggest on getting a smaller cabinet since getting one like the Gamma would help a lot in air flow. But the 6 series graphic cards run pretty cool so no harm in getting small form factor cases. I'm not completely aware of the availability and the choices we have here though.

--- Updated Post - Automerged ---

Alternatively, if you can extend your budget, you can keep the gaming PC separate and just buy an HD media player for your HTPC needs.

Well, in all the stuff, forgot to write about the Zino. If you want to do gaming, dont go for it. It usually comes with onboard IGP which is no good for playing games, the ones with the MXM solution are not going to be cheap, and no upgradabilty. And what about availablity?

As far as the bragPC goes they seem to be good, but it seems like the case will be quite cramped with the GPU. Since you stay in here in Mumbai, why dont you go to prime and have a look at the bragPC config? It might give you an idea about the system.

Coming to putting a mainstream CPU/GPU in the silverstone case, yes I am sure, it can be done, but the case will need adequate cooling and fans. So it cannot be kept in a place where there is inadequate air flow. Also upgradability is a must. For the same reason, my bijli is doing duty as my HTPC rig.

Coming to gaming performance, am pretty sure the A8 3800/3850 APU can handle 720p gaming @ moderate settings. But some games will be an exception.

Finally, if since you plan to run it as an HTPC, you will need loads of space for movies, and had put in an extra drive as HD movies take up a lot of place!

@viralbug and gannu, thanks for pointing out the fact about optical out. Now some of the mobos ship with the ALC889, and it is claimed that these are as good as discrete soundcards. Can some1 confirm this?

2 things to add:

1st, drop Seagate HDD in favour of WD drives as Seagate has reduced warranty to 2 yrs from 3 in all dirves.

2nd, price of SG02 is now 4100, down from 4500. Buy Sliver Stone | Silverstone Sugo Series

thanks a lot guys!!! i read through all your responses and sat back and thought hard!

My no.1 requirement - form factor must be small as i want it to be placed next to my LCD TV.

No.2 requirement - Should be able to play most current games at medium settings and future games at low settings

No. 3 requirement - should be able to play Blue ray discs with a superb sound output via optical/co-axial to my Z5500

No. 4 requirement - wifi is a must and bluetooth may be optional

No. 5 requirement- wireless keyboard,mouse combo

If an amd cpu, dedicated gpu (although a less powerful) can be put inside the smallest formfactor--then this is the deal that i am after!!

(I have one 1TB 2.5" portable HDD, two 500 GB 2.5" portable HDDs)

does this change the configuration? to reduce cost should we think about amd cpu+gpu cobo?

If you are getting a dedicated GPU which you will need for gaming at full HD, you can scrape out the AMD APUs. Getting an Intel CPU with a dedicated GPU is a much better option than getting the AMD Llano + dedicated GPU.
You can drop the i5 and go for an i3.

Processor Intel i3 2100 5500
Motherboard Intel DH67-BL 5200
RAM G.Skill RipjawsX 1x4GB 1600MHz 1600
HDD(OS) Western Digital 1TB Blue 2800
GPU Asus DirectCU 6850 10000
Cabinet Silverstone Sugo SG02 4100
PSU Seasonic S12II 520w 3500
Key Board+Mouse Logitech Wireless Desktop MK320 1200
Wifi Asus 150mbps USB dongle 750
Bluetooth USB Blutooth dongle 150
TOTAL 39800

Go for the Asus DirectCU 6850. It has the best cooling among the 6850 cards. I'm not sure of the availability though.

Mind you, it will still be a little hot in the Silverstone case. There isn't much you can do for airflow. I guess you may have to skimp on gaming performance a little and get a 6790.

if you are into racing kind of games, then the APU should do fine at medium settings.....but be sure to run the memory at 1866MHz or 1600Mhz...you gain around 15% performance...

Just an afterthought. Here the OP time & again seems to suggest a preference for AMD [perhaps he's another AMD die-hard loyalist like me :)] - however most of the guys out here seem to go with Intel. Since his specific need is an htpc and he want's to output to his 32" HDTV. I can assure you that for smooth playback of 1920 x 1080 AMD A8 series offer's VFM.

IMHO I would suggest the AMD A8-3850 or 3800 along with Asus F1A75-M PRO [microATX] and G-Skill 2X4GB 1600 MHz RAM for optimum performance. In case certain games do not play smooth then he can opt for a separate GPU. All this would be perfect on the silverstone!!!

I would highly recommend that ALL who have doubts about AMD A8's performance read the following

AMD A8-3850 APU Review: Llano Hits the Desktop - Page 9

It's almost 24 pages, but the most exhaustive and unbiased test about this marvellous processor.

I am meanwhile waiting for BD's release otherwise my mind's almost made up about A8 for my own rig.

Incidently what do you do @smalltiger & tell us also why u persist with AMD.

Terry

terence_fdes said:
Just an afterthought. Here the OP time & again seems to suggest a preference for AMD [perhaps he's another AMD die-hard loyalist like me :)]

Well, aren't we all?

But the real reason we suggest Intel rigs are that the are better in performance to price ratio for specifics like gaming, etc.

Back