Budget 90k+ gaming laptop

Akshay Gupta

Disciple
Hi guys,

i needed a gaming laptop. last laptop was the retina 15in macbook pro which lasted 6 good years before dying on me. my requirement is gaming at ultra settings but also day to day work like using tally solutions. my budget is 3 lakhs. reason its so high is that i need this laptop to last at least 5 years. i dont want one which will get overheated and start dying on me or lagging. there are so many choices out there that i have given up and come here for help.

i have been doing research and asus rog looks appealing.

please advise and ask any questions. i am in new Delhi. would prefer a recommendation for laptop and also a shop for purchase. it would be great if they would exchange some old gadgets as well.

awaiting your replies.

thank you.

How important is portability to you? At that budget, you'll almost always be better of getting a dedicated gaming/workstation PC plus a thin/light ultrabook for use on-the-go. There is a point of diminishing returns and your budget will cross it by quite a big margin.

If you feel you must, take a look at the Dell Alienware M15 or the ASUS ROG703, although at that point I'm not sure if it can even be called a laptop.

With a budget of 3 lakhs, it will be better to buy say a 100k laptop with GTX 1660Ti now, then a new one after 2 years & so on. Wait for new Acer Helios 300 if you can, otherwise new HP Omen is good. Sadly India doesn't have many high end laptop options. Avoid Alienware, its a hot mess, I own m15. My m15 with i7 + RTX 2060 performs inferior to my friend's Helios 300 with i7 + 1660Ti due to thermal throttling.

The main reason for my suggestion is that beyond GTX 1660Ti, you pay a lot of money for getting 10% jump per higher GPU tier. Top of the line RTX 2080 Super Max Q performs similar to a desktop RTX 2060. RTX 2080 & 2080 Super with 150W TDP will perform similar to desktop RTX 2070 but still you end up paying a lot. There's a big jump in GPU technology every 3-4 years, last time it happened was 2016 when GTX 10xx series was launched. Upcoming new GPUs are rumoured to make big jump generation over generation.

For a 25-40% jump, you end up paying 3x. Check this to get some idea:
Screenshot (245).png

Screenshot (238).png

Source: Hardware Unboxed

Maybe look at this one since budget isn't a big issue:
https://www.indiatvnews.com/technol...-laptops-in-india-all-you-need-to-know-641072

How important is portability to you? At that budget, you'll almost always be better of getting a dedicated gaming/workstation PC plus a thin/light ultrabook for use on-the-go. There is a point of diminishing returns and your budget will cross it by quite a big margin.

If you feel you must, take a look at the Dell Alienware M15 or the ASUS ROG703, although at that point I'm not sure if it can even be called a laptop.

portability is important , i was looking at the new xps 13 and 15, uhd touch screen. why r laptops so expensive in india. same models abroad r half the price. what a waste.
Post automatically merged:

With a budget of 3 lakhs, it will be better to buy say a 100k laptop with GTX 1660Ti now, then a new one after 2 years & so on. Wait for new Acer Helios 300 if you can, otherwise new HP Omen is good. Sadly India doesn't have many high end laptop options. Avoid Alienware, its a hot mess, I own m15. My m15 with i7 + RTX 2060 performs inferior to my friend's Helios 300 with i7 + 1660Ti due to thermal throttling.

The main reason for my suggestion is that beyond GTX 1660Ti, you pay a lot of money for getting 10% jump per higher GPU tier. Top of the line RTX 2080 Super Max Q performs similar to a desktop RTX 2060. RTX 2080 & 2080 Super with 150W TDP will perform similar to desktop RTX 2070 but still you end up paying a lot. There's a big jump in GPU technology every 3-4 years, last time it happened was 2016 when GTX 10xx series was launched. Upcoming new GPUs are rumoured to make big jump generation over generation.

For a 25-40% jump, you end up paying 3x. Check this to get some idea:
View attachment 88681
View attachment 88682
Source: Hardware Unboxed

Maybe look at this one since budget isn't a big issue:
https://www.indiatvnews.com/technol...-laptops-in-india-all-you-need-to-know-641072

now after some research i feel laptop prices are too expensive in india. same model is available at half the price abroad. am interested in the xps 15 or 17 uhd touch screen but not worth buying from india. better to buy it outside.

Price: Its mostly down to duties and high demand re:Covid (WFH, online classes,self-quarantine etc)

I'd be hard-pressed to call the XPS's gaming laptops(why do you want a touchscreen/UHD res?). Do yourself a favour and get one of the Asus ROG Zephyrus variants if buying in India.

If buying from abroad then the world is your oyster. You'll still have to contend with the realities of 'gaming on ultra settings' on a laptop though. Simply not happening without downright stupid compromises.

Price: Its mostly down to duties and high demand re:Covid (WFH, online classes etc)

I'd be hard-pressed to call the XPS's gaming laptops(why do you want a touchscreen/UHD res?). Do yourself a favour and get one of the Asus ROG Zephyrus variants if buying in India.

If buying from abroad then the world is your oyster. You'll still have to contend with the realities of 'gaming on ultra settings' on a laptop though. Simply not happening without downright stupid compromises.

Honestly am so disappointed with Indian pricing, its seems pointless buying a high end laptop here. I wouldve instantly purchased the xps 17 2020 touch if the pricing was reasonable as the kind of gaming the rtx 2060 max q would provide would be enough and that SCREEN. OMG.

But now I think I'll buy a vivo or zen book around 90k and buy the xps 17 when I travel abroad next. Portability is very important to me.

How does that sound? and what r ur thoughts about the asus g14?

Last edited:
Honestly am so disappointed with Indian pricing, its seems pointless buying a high end laptop here. I wouldve instantly purchased the xps 17 2020 touch if the pricing was reasonable as the kind of gaming the rtx 2060 max q would provide would be enough and that SCREEN. OMG.

But now I think I'll buy a vivo or zen book around 90k and buy the xps 17 when I travel abroad next. Portability is very important to me.

How does that sound? and what r ur thoughts about the asus g14?
None of those are gaming laptops & like Alienware/Dell G series, XPS 15 runs pretty hot although heard some good reviews of XPS 17's thermals.

None of those are gaming laptops & like Alienware/Dell G series, XPS 15 runs pretty hot although heard some good reviews of XPS 17's thermals.

ya but these laptops are so expensive in india. i cant pay double the price . ill jus pick one up when i travel abroad next which has international warranty.

so i was thinkingk of going with the xps 15 9500, 16gb ram, i7 10750h and 1660ti 4gb or the g14 top variant.

please give your thoughts. xps 15 for 184000 and g14 top variant for 170000 roughly if am not mistaken.

Last edited:
ya but these laptops are so expensive in india. i cant pay double the price . ill jus pick one up when i travel abroad next which has international warranty.

so i was thinkingk of going with the xps 15 9500, 16gb ram, i7 10750h and 1660ti 4gb or the g14 top variant.

please give your thoughts. xps 15 for 184000 and g14 top variant for 170000 roughly if am not mistaken.

8 core 1660Ti G14 should be around 1.3L. That's the one to get IMO

Is their any link, not available on amazon or flipkart.

U feel that's a better choice than the xps 15? config mentioned earlier.

For gaming? Easily (120hz display, form factor). 1660/2060 are barely enough for ultra 1080p@120hz gaming, no mobile GPU is going to be able to drive UHD or even QHD res. well. For productivity, the new AMD 7nm CPUs are far superior and should be your first choice.

This link has the two G14 models that are worth buying IMO. They constantly go in and out of stock so you might have to keep an eye on them. Also the price can fluctuate between 3-10k over MSRP.

Last edited by a moderator:
For gaming? Easily (120hz display, form factor). 1660/2060 are barely enough for ultra 1080p@120hz gaming, no mobile GPU is going to be able to drive UHD or even QHD res. well. Also the new AMD 7nm CPUs are far superior and should be your first choice.

This link has the two G14 models that are worth buying IMO. They constantly go in and out of stock so you might have to keep an eye on them. Also the price can fluctuate between 3-10k over MSRP.

They take u to an amazon link. Even ive read new amd are way superior than Intel. I guess I'll go with the fhd 120hz g14. It's better for gaming than the xps 15 with i7 10750h.

Do u know any shop in delhi whr I can purchase it from?

Last edited by a moderator:
They take u to an amazon link. Even ive read new amd are way superior than Intel. I guess I'll go with the fhd 120hz g14. It's better for gaming than the xps 15 with i7 10750h.

Do u know any shop in delhi whr I can purchase it from?
Same problem offline or online, hard to keep them in stock. Even when in stock they usually tend to keep the 60hz variants, which is a bit lame. Trip to Nehru Place might open up some options.

Same problem offline or online, hard to keep them in stock. Even when in stock they usually tend to keep the 60hz variants, which is a bit lame. Trip to Nehru Place might open up some options.

Ya i guess, ill jus call some shops I know in nehru place. Let me know if u find a link whr it's available.

Thanks.

You need Dell's premium warranty for international warranty, wasn't the case earlier & warranty transfer of base warranty is useless now. Honestly I won't recommend XPS 15 unless you won't be using it for gaming, due to bad thermals. G14 has similar issues as well though. IMO get whichever is cheaper for similar specs.

R5 4600H ~ i7 10750H

You need Dell's premium warranty for international warranty, wasn't the case earlier & warranty transfer of base warranty is useless now. Honestly I won't recommend XPS 15 unless you won't be using it for gaming, due to bad thermals. G14 has similar issues as well though. IMO get whichever is cheaper for similar specs.

R5 4600H ~ i7 10750H

I love the xps 15 looks and design but I need to do light gaming as well so I feel g14 4900h, fhd 120hz is a better option.

I love the xps 15 looks and design but I need to do light gaming as well so I feel g14 4900h, fhd 120hz is a better option.
Is it light gaming or ultra gaming? OP suggests you want longevity, if so avoid buying the highest power parts for any chassis, whether XPS or G14. You can't get around the laws of thermodynamics. I can understand if you want a better GPU but anything beyond the 4800HS is a waste. To me it seems like you need to take some time to think about what you really want and clear some misconceptions.

You're right about the res. however, 1080p@120hz is way better for your use-case than UHD/QHD@60hz.

Re: Portability, every laptop is portable...sort of. What I'm trying to ask is how much of a weight penalty/performance hit you're willing to take/give up to pursue extra portability beyond what a normal laptop offers? Look at some of the Zephyrus S models since you seem to be okay with moving upto 15-inch.

Last edited:
Is it light gaming or ultra gaming? OP suggests you want longevity, if so avoid buying the highest power parts for any chassis, whether XPS or G14. You can't get around the laws of thermodynamics. I can understand if you want a better GPU but anything beyond the 4800HS is a waste. To me it seems like you need to take some time to think about what you really want and clear some misconceptions.

You're right about the res. however, 1080p@120hz is way better for your use-case than UHD/QHD@60hz.

Re: Portability, every laptop is portable. What I'm trying to ask is how much of a weight penalty/performance hit you're willing to take to pursue extra portability beyond what a normal laptop offers? Look at some of the Zephyrus S models since you seem to be okay with moving upto 15-inch.

I have gone crazy to be honest with the limited options in India and I've decided to go with the g14 fhd, 120hz. 4800hs.

By gaming I meant I do enjoy playing games if I can at ultra settings, what's the harm. But I'll manage with high or medium settings also. But I need a laptop as my work has stalled and I can't do without tally solutions.

So g14 4800hs, 120hz fhd is fine. I jus should last me 3 years, that's all I want from it and then sell it and upgrade.

ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14, 14" FHD 120Hz, Ryzen 7 4800HS, RTX 2060 Max Q 6GB GDDR6 Graphics, Gaming Laptop (16GB/1TB SSD/MS Office 2019/Windows 10/Eclipse Gray/Anime Matrix/1.7 Kg), GA401IV-HE184TS

final config, ok?

Last edited:
I have gone crazy to be honest with the limited options in India and I've decided to go with the g14 fhd, 120hz. 4800hs.

By gaming I meant I do enjoy playing games if I can at ultra settings, what's the harm. But I'll manage with high or medium settings also. But I need a laptop as my work has stalled and I can't do without tally solutions.

So g14 4800hs, 120hz fhd is fine. I jus should last me 3 years, that's all I want from it and then sell it and upgrade.

ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14, 14" FHD 120Hz, Ryzen 7 4800HS, RTX 2060 Max Q 6GB GDDR6 Graphics, Gaming Laptop (16GB/1TB SSD/MS Office 2019/Windows 10/Eclipse Gray/Anime Matrix/1.7 Kg), GA401IV-HE184TS

final config, ok?
Cost? It's a good ultra-portable powerhouse, esp if priced at 120-130k or so.

Back