Gaming PC vs Laptop

What is your preference - budget permitting.

• Total voters
If portability is not required in the slightest, a desktop would make sense. But with the current market pricing, laptops might seem a better overall deal, though they can be pricey as well.

While laptops could last 5-7 years, the batteries won't. And down the line who knows how easy/hard it will be to procure original batteries. I had bought a 'gaming' laptop (Acer Aspire, i5 4210M and 940M with 1080p display!) for effective price of 28k. While it could technically 'game' but the thermal throttling was abysmal and the cooling mechanism was woefully inadequate. I still remember, sitting in my college's computer lab, with AC in full blast, but the laptop was soo hot that it still thermal throttled in about 30 minutes. The laptop's battery is ded but I can't find any original part and aftermarket batteries don't last long (Original battery used to last 2 hours lol so you can guess about the aftermarket ones).

While technology has advanced quite rapidly, the battery limitations are still a problem, and so are the quality of components used in the laptop. If a desktop motherboard is gone, depending on the damage almost every other component is salvageable. But with laptop you basically lost everything (apart from storage) because everything is soo tightly integrated.

If portability is not required in the slightest, a desktop would make sense. But with the current market pricing, laptops might seem a better overall deal, though they can be pricey as well.

While laptops could last 5-7 years, the batteries won't. And down the line who knows how easy/hard it will be to procure original batteries. I had bought a 'gaming' laptop (Acer Aspire, i5 4210M and 940M with 1080p display!) for effective price of 28k. While it could technically 'game' but the thermal throttling was abysmal and the cooling mechanism was woefully inadequate. I still remember, sitting in my college's computer lab, with AC in full blast, but the laptop was soo hot that it still thermal throttled in about 30 minutes. The laptop's battery is ded but I can't find any original part and aftermarket batteries don't last long (Original battery used to last 2 hours lol so you can guess about the aftermarket ones).

While technology has advanced quite rapidly, the battery limitations are still a problem, and so are the quality of components used in the laptop. If a desktop motherboard is gone, depending on the damage almost every other component is salvageable. But with laptop you basically lost everything (apart from storage) because everything is soo tightly integrated.
I like the first line though - it is like listening to our CM Mr. Uddhav or Mr. Modi.

Hey, I have been a PC Gamer primarily for the past 10+ years and have been slowly upgrading it through the years. ( Big thanks to TE Members for it).

I am at a stage now where I am contemplating my next upgrade to Ryzen / GTX 2060 or equivalent setup.

I was checking options on if I should invest about 50k and upgrade my PC or invest around 80k and migrate to an equivalent Laptop ?

The laptop does have an advantage - I can move around - both in the house and also stays with me on travel ( whenever that happens ) - plus I can hook it up to a Keyboard / Mouse / Monitor to mimic a Desktop.

Are there any major disadvantages to a Gaming Laptop - apart from the fact that a desktop equivalent spec will give me a 5% - 10% more juice / FPS / Performance. Which I am OK with to sacrifice for mobility.
I actually recommended 2 of my friends to get a gaming laptop rn , I would say with the current prices of PC Parts , finding a good priced GPU is just horrible , laptops provide pretty good deals rn actually and you can get a pretty decent one for a decent price, plus you always got DLSS to help boost your fps , if you're willing to be patient , a PC offers much better performance and thermals , however laptops do have that portability, but you wouldn't go wrong with either of the choices

Back