Budget 41-50k Gaming PC

agefreak

Disciple
Hey!

Back after a loooong layoff.. man things have changed here :)

Anyways, due to a combination of laziness, distractions, a 24x7 job and a funny thing called marriage, I'm not as much in touch with what's on in the hardware scene, as I used to be. While I'm still pretty sure of what goes where :finger: , I need help choosing the right starting point.

I want to build a new gaming rig, and would ideally be purchasing it before / around Diwali. Please recommend what I should go for within a budget of 50k. There is stuff from my old rig which I want to continue using, and it'll be great if I can get some suggestions on that.

My current rig:-

ECS 780GM Ultra Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 920 with OCZ Vengeance Cooler
4 GB G-Skill Pi-Black DDR2 800 RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD4850 512MB
2 x 500 GB HDDs (both WD)
Corsair 450VX PSU
CoolerMaster Cabinet
Logitech G1 "gaming" keyboard / mouse combo

I shall definitely continue to use my HDDs in the new rig, and I shall use the existing cabinet for now. I definitely cant use the mobo, cpu and ram. Rest is up for debate :cool:

Primary use of the new rig : Gaming

I have a budget of 50k, which I can spend on:-
  • CPU
  • Mobo
  • RAM
  • Gfx Card
  • Cooling Solution (if needed)
  • PSU (I'm assuming 450VX will no longer be enough?)
  • A decent KB (preferably backlit) + mouse
Budget can be extended by max 10k in case something is really worth its weight in copper. I'm open to all suggestions and have no bias towards any manufacturer (gone are the days when I used to be an AMD fanboy :rolleyes:).

Please help!

Thanks! :)

Hey!

Back after a loooong layoff.. man things have changed here :)

Anyways, due to a combination of laziness, distractions, a 24x7 job and a funny thing called marriage, I'm not as much in touch with what's on in the hardware scene, as I used to be. While I'm still pretty sure of what goes where :finger: , I need help choosing the right starting point.

I want to build a new gaming rig, and would ideally be purchasing it before / around Diwali. Please recommend what I should go for within a budget of 50k. There is stuff from my old rig which I want to continue using, and it'll be great if I can get some suggestions on that.

My current rig:-

ECS 780GM Ultra Motherboard
AMD Phenom II X4 920 with OCZ Vengeance Cooler
4 GB G-Skill Pi-Black DDR2 800 RAM
Sapphire Radeon HD4850 512MB
2 x 500 GB HDDs (both WD)
Corsair 450VX PSU
CoolerMaster Cabinet
Logitech G1 "gaming" keyboard / mouse combo

I shall definitely continue to use my HDDs in the new rig, and I shall use the existing cabinet for now. I definitely cant use the mobo, cpu and ram. Rest is up for debate :cool:

Primary use of the new rig : Gaming

I have a budget of 50k, which I can spend on:-
  • CPU
  • Mobo
  • RAM
  • Gfx Card
  • Cooling Solution (if needed)
  • PSU (I'm assuming 450VX will no longer be enough?)
  • A decent KB (preferably backlit) + mouse
Budget can be extended by max 10k in case something is really worth its weight in copper. I'm open to all suggestions and have no bias towards any manufacturer (gone are the days when I used to be an AMD fanboy :rolleyes:).

Please help!

Thanks! :)
VFM RIG:-
AMD FX 8350 -12500
Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 -5800
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHz -5200
Zotac GTX760 2GB AMP Edition -21500
CM Hyper 212 Evo -2300
Corsair GS600 -5500
Microsoft Sidewinder X6 KB -3000
Logitech G400 -2000
TOTAL -57800.
You can buy all from mdcomputers.com from kolkata. If you are from Bangalore, then Golchha Computers,SP Road. If you are from Hyderabad, then Arun Computers. If you are from Mumbai, then Primeabgb.com. If you are from Delhi, then smcinternational.com.OK.

@bssunil Why you are AMD biased? I think in this budget he can surely go with Intel IB config (if not Haswell), which gives more performance and consume less power.

@agefreak please specify how long you want to keep this system or upgrade plans.

@sky , well , my current rig has lasted me about 3-4 years, so I'm looking at 3 years at least. I'll be open to upgrading bits and pieces in between, though, but no major component. (eg. I can add a stick of RAM if required later, but would want to hold on to the mobo + cpu + gfx card throughout the lifecycle)[DOUBLEPOST=1380186511][/DOUBLEPOST]@bssunil a similar config was on my radar. But I am confused between Intel and AMD. I've heard both good and bad things about Haswell, so not sure if it is the right way to go. Also, for Piledriver series, I've again heard both good and bad stuff...

If there are any current users of either of these two series, please share your opinions... tx!

Last edited:
@bssunil Why you are AMD biased? I think in this budget he can surely go with Intel IB config (if not Haswell), which gives more performance and consume less power.

@agefreak please specify how long you want to keep this system or upgrade plans.

More Performance & less power, I agree with in "less power" aspect only. More Performance can be got with AMD as well by overclocking. While gaming there is difference of only 8-10 fps which is I think negligible as games use only the GPU mostly. Take Crysis3 for eg. it performs well with AMD FX using more cores than Quad core Intel right. So if Games & Applications are made by using 6 or more cores then you either need to buy i7 4770 setup which is costly or go for AMD FX 6-8 Series Setup.

@sky , well , my current rig has lasted me about 3-4 years, so I'm looking at 3 years at least. I'll be open to upgrading bits and pieces in between, though, but no major component. (eg. I can add a stick of RAM if required later, but would want to hold on to the mobo + cpu + gfx card throughout the lifecycle)[DOUBLEPOST=1380186511][/DOUBLEPOST]@bssunil a similar config was on my radar. But I am confused between Intel and AMD. I've heard both good and bad things about Haswell, so not sure if it is the right way to go. Also, for Piledriver series, I've again heard both good and bad stuff...

If there are any current users of either of these two series, please share your opinions... tx!

I myself am using AMD FX 8320 and I migrated from i5 3570k. AMD is lot better in terms of keeping cool while using an after market cooler. You only can take the power savings once a year which might come at 1k-2k savings which you might be spending on increasing petrol expenses right. If the price of petrol reaches Rs.100 will you stop using your bike or car, So even taking the upgrade path into the future Haswell is the end and Broadwell is coming on a new chipset. But AMD piledriver continues to AMD Steamroller which uses the same chipset but might use PCIE3.0 rather than PCIE2.0 using right now.In one word AMD is cheaper to buy and maintain rather than Intel.

I get temps of 15 celsius while idle and 30 celsius while on load which is pretty much good. Intel i5 3570k used to get temps of 25 celsius while idle and 45 celsius while on load. These are not overclocked temps man... You estimate what will be the overclocked temps of Intel while idle and on load as well....

If you don't want a 125watt TDP CPU like AMD FX 8350 then you can still go for AMD FX 6300 which is a 95watt TDP CPU. What do you say. Intel is having 87watt TDP.

I became an AMD Fan Boy when I migrated from Intel i5 3570k this April/2013.

@bssunil
Then why you listed you mobo + cpu in selling thread, asking for how much you can get for it? ;)

I don't need to answer your stupid question. I am not living on you right...
If you will buy my combo then you can ask me buddy & I will answer your query...

Last edited by a moderator:
So even taking the upgrade path into the future Haswell is the end and Broadwell is coming on a new chipset. But AMD piledriver continues to AMD Steamroller which uses the same chipset but might use PCIE3.0 rather than PCIE2.0 using right now.
Broadwell will use the same socket as Haswell. I stand corrected :)
PCI-e 3.0 has nothing to do with Steamroller. The PCI-e controller is not on die for the AMD chips, and will not be on-die for steamroller if they intend to maintain AM3+ socket compatibility. Which means if you want PCI-e 3.0, you will need to get a new board with whatever new PCI-e 3.0 capable chipset they release.

I get temps of 15 celsius while idle and 30 celsius while on load which is pretty much good. Intel i5 3570k used to get temps of 25 celsius while idle and 45 celsius while on load. These are not overclocked temps man... You estimate what will be the overclocked temps of Intel while idle and on load as well
Are your ambient temps 10 degrees celsius or are you using phase change cooling? If the answer to both the questions is No, then your temperature readings are wrong.

Last edited:
@Crazy_Eddy
I found this http://vr-zone.com/articles/intels-9-series-will-support-broadwell/53203.html. which says new mobo and psu should be bought for broadwell :(
They may be just rumors. We can't be sure of anything!

@agefreak
Intel has per core greater performance and Amd gives more cores at good price. Future games may get optimized for AMD cause it is used in xboxone and ps4.
As you already said there will be good and bad things with intel/amd.
You should check the cpu benchmarks of games you most likely play if you are confused. Many games are gpu dependent though.

Higher TDP will obviously will result in higher temperatures.

Broadwell will use the same socket as Haswell. I stand corrected :)
PCI-e 3.0 has nothing to do with Steamroller. The PCI-e controller is not on die for the AMD chips, and will not be on-die for steamroller if they intend to maintain AM3+ socket compatibility. Which means if you want PCI-e 3.0, you will need to get a new board with whatever new PCI-e 3.0 capable chipset they release.

Are your ambient temps 10 degrees celsius or are you using phase change cooling? If the answer to both the questions is No, then your temperature readings are wrong.
I am using Corsair H60 Hydro Cooler with Push-Pull fan setup.[DOUBLEPOST=1380248270][/DOUBLEPOST]
@bssunil
BTW whats your room temperature!!
20-30 Degrees celsius.

Last edited by a moderator:
This should fit your budget perfectly.. I assembled exactly this..

Components Price
WD Caviar Blue 1TB Desktop Internal Sata HDD 4423
Corsair SMPS CX500 600 Watts PSU 4616
Cooler Master N300 NSE-300-KKN1 Mid Tower Cabinet 3693
AMD 3.5 AM3+ FX 6-Core Edition FX-6300 7290
MSI 970A-G43 Motherboard 5225
Gskill 8Gb X 1 Ddr3 1866Mhz Cl10 Ripjaws X RAM 5949
XFX ATI Radeon HD 7870 2 GB DDR5 Graphics Card 16060
LG GH24NS71 Internal Optical Drive (Black) 995
Total 48251

all ordered on Flipkart.. They have additional 5%off running right now!

If I want to go with a 990FX board, do I stand to gain much? I saw a Biostar 990FX board for 9k, which I thought was a pretty good deal.... Planning on clubbing it with either a Fx-6300 or a FX 8320...

Also, planning to go with a 16 gig RAM kit (8 x 2) - same as the one mentioned by @cooljeba ..

Finally - I am getting a super deal on a 6870 ( ~ 10k)... worth looking at?

Cheers!

If I want to go with a 990FX board, do I stand to gain much? I saw a Biostar 990FX board for 9k, which I thought was a pretty good deal.... Planning on clubbing it with either a Fx-6300 or a FX 8320...

Also, planning to go with a 16 gig RAM kit (8 x 2) - same as the one mentioned by @cooljeba ..

Finally - I am getting a super deal on a 6870 ( ~ 10k)... worth looking at?

Cheers!
1st of all never go with Biostar as it has only 4+1 power phase which is suitable for any kind of overclocking.
2nd no need to with 16GB of Ram mostly 8GB is more than enough in your case.
3rd Why go for older generation of GPU when new and even newer generation is being released in October by AMD.

^ need some more help on 970 vs 990fx... from what I've read so far, I should only go for 990fx if I plan to overclock, and /or do a 16x - 16x crossfire... is that correct?

Too many Intel Vs AMD fanboy's are giving false info in this forum lately.
@agefreak
You need to give more details about what kind of games do you like to play - First person shooters or MMO type ?
If games likes Crysis3/BF3/Metro/Dead Space and alike consume most part of your gaming time then AMD FX will do job for you at less price than i5/7.But if you want to play MMO then Intel ivy/haswell i5's based rig will be perfect.

Now coming onto AMD vs Intel.
AMD

AMD's FX have 8 core with poor single core IPC compared to intel.
If you are going to use multi threaded applications like adobe cs6/encoding softwares/streaming a bit or leaving few applications running at background while you game.Then FX will be more useful as its 8 core will share workload.Mind it not many applications / games are multi threaded.
AMD has released briefings on MANTEL which is used in BF4 and will benefit 4+core cpu's for better core utilization.
AM3+ is dated and will most likely not have new steamroller based cpu on it as FM2+ will be having APU's for next architecture hence AM3+ looks dead.
If you plan to get Fx based rig then buy on 990Fx boards as they have twin 16x pcie2 support for GPU's and better VRM's.Asus has overall better control over heat and voltage on 990fx boards....

Intel
Haswell has better IPC over FX series and mobo's have so many features that makes AM3+ look like vintage platform right now but all this will cost 50-60% more on mobo itself.Make no mistake Haswell can be OC'd on low priced mobo's this time due to electrical circuits being pushed onto cpu die so you can go cheap on mobo and yet have good OC.
Haswell runs too hot and needs good cooling solutions plus they are not clocking too well over sandy/ivy based cpu's....its more like silicon lottery this time.
If gaming is most important then i7 will be better for future if you don't wanna upgrade again in say 3 years time due to games being optimised for 4+cores afterall i5 is plain jade quad core processor.
Would not advice to go for Ivy based rig as that socket is dead and 1050 based 8 series will be dead to for future upgrades as series 9 boards will supports Haswell refresh/Broadwell.

So AM3+ /8 Series on LGA 1050 are both dead.
Fx 83xx cpu's are 125 rated and get hot when OC'd.They consume more electricity than Intel counter parts but Intel when OC'd eats up 5-8% less than FX so both are duds if you want to save energy when clocked.
Hence not many options are left for value rig's with an eye on future upgrades.
You will not regret buying either of them as both are way more than for average pc users....As a user of both Fx 8350 and Haswell i7 i can say both are equally good and you wont notice much difference by going with either of them.

FX 8320 + Asus 990Fx pro + Gskill 8 Gb kit of 1600Mhz(Oc it to 1866 level) or 1866Mhz + AMD 7950/ MSI 760 gaming + Corsair H100i + Case 300R/CM Haf 912 + Seasonic 620W ( Keep your current PSU and save for better one )
Intel i5/i7 + Asrock ext4/Asus Z87-A / Giga Z87UD3H + Gskill 8gb kit 1600 + AMD 7950/ MSI 760 gaming + CM 212Evo + Case 300r/CM Haf 912 + Seasonic 520W.

thanks @jhononweed for the details. I am mostly a FPS / RTS guy, so a lower cost AMD solutions seems to be the right bet. I'm not too worried about power consumption, and will be using aftermarket cooling, so that's that.

If i choose to go with the AMD rig which you've suggested, will my Corsair 450VX be able to handle the load? I am currently looking at the possibility of keeping my 4850 and 450VX, and then later opt for R9, when prices settle... your opinion?

Back