Budget 41-50k Gaming PC

Eddy CPU load for power consumption which i posted when you asked me to show 25-30W where BF3 was used to show power consumption in that which we users normally use rather than prime.This above graph shows gaming bench mark results with add on card and BF3 uses 4 core which is documented and more core if available is utilized by it.
"Documented" by who? If BF3 only uses 4 cores why the recommendation for an 8 core FX?

You know heavy CPU usage only gives that sort of power usage which OP is not going to do hence atmost " 25-30W " more he will be spending over by going FX.
Do you see the paradox in your statements? You first said he should get an 8 core FX, then you say in real life situations like gaming, he isn't going to use more than 4 cores - can you make up your mind?

You quote'd me on power usage and i asked you how much difference does it makes in real world living with power bills.
I have already said nobody has claimed "get an i7 to save money in electricity bills".

Not a way to conduct MOD duty on anonymous forum by making accusations or trying to perceive one is wrong without going through whole comments properly.
Me posting has nothing to do with "conducting mod duty" :-/

@amitkher ... the thread's absolutely not my personal property... fire away! :) I was only concerned whether I shall be able to make out all the "information" from in between the "data" :p.. Turns out, its quite difficult!

@dovakhiin , can you pls share your complete rig? would really help...

I believe I'm tilting towards AMD here, especially because as pointed out in one of the posts above, power consumption leading to additional expense is a pretty fair trade-off. I'm still going to bet my money on the multi-core thing, having gone through some assessments done by Tom's Hardware and Anandtech.

Here's what I've arrived at...

AMD FX-6300 / FX-8350 (help me decide... I don't want to invest too heavily on a CPU which may only give a marginal upside)
ASUS Sabertooth FX / M5A99FX Pro Rev2.... Tilting more towards to M5A99, because of its VFM nature..
Radeon 7870 / 7950 (trying to get this from the US... the price difference is huge!) - any comments?
Corsair TX - 750 (is this an overkill? I may crossfire in the future, and will have atleast 2 HDDs). The other option here is Seasonic SII-620, but i doubt it will suffice.
G-Skill 8 gigs DDR3 1600 RAM

One final thing... If i decide to splurge on a SSD (min 120 gigs), any suggestions? Samsung 840's been recommended at plenty of places, but the reviews don't justify it...

Cheerio!

Radeon 7870 / 7950 (trying to get this from the US... the price difference is huge!) - any comments?

Differance of 7k with customs paid from amazom (7950 HD )

I guess not, but the price is too sweet to miss... I'm getting a 7950 for the price of a 7850 in India...

I've never used any of the international purchase services (comgateway, PPOBox etc.)... any recommendations?

@dovakhiin , can you pls share your complete rig? would really help...

Sure. My rig -
Processor - AMD FX 8350K
GPU - GTX 660 -2x SLI
PSU - Seasonic 850W
Motherboard - Asus Sabertooth 990FX
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 8GB RAM - 1600Mhz
Cooling - Corsair H100i
Cabinet - NZXT Phantom 630

I believe I'm tilting towards AMD here, especially because as pointed out in one of the posts above, power consumption leading to additional expense is a pretty fair trade-off. I'm still going to bet my money on the multi-core thing, having gone through some assessments done by Tom's Hardware and Anandtech.

My thoughts exactly. It'll be worth the gamble if the multi-core thing pays off, even otherwise it should be ok.

AMD FX-6300 / FX-8350 (help me decide... I don't want to invest too heavily on a CPU which may only give a marginal upside)
ASUS Sabertooth FX / M5A99FX Pro Rev2.... Tilting more towards to M5A99, because of its VFM nature..
Corsair TX - 750 (is this an overkill? I may crossfire in the future, and will have atleast 2 HDDs). The other option here is Seasonic SII-620, but i doubt it will suffice.

One final thing... If i decide to splurge on a SSD (min 120 gigs), any suggestions? Samsung 840's been recommended at plenty of places, but the reviews don't justify it...

Cheerio!

My comments on your rig,

Go for the M5A99fx Pro Rev2. There is no reason for you to consider the Sabertooth 990FX. I had actually decided on buying M5A99FX Pro Rev2 but they didn't have it in the store that day, and I got a good deal on the Sabertooth.

You will only need the sabertooth if you're really into overclocking.

Go for the HD 7950. Prioritize investing in this over the CPU. Any amount of GPU power will be useful.

AMD recommends a 700W power supply for HD 7950 CF, but the power rating is not the main requirement. Even a good quality 650W power supply can provide enough power.

The main requirements are-
  • 46A current rating on 12V rails
  • 2x 8pin and 2x 6 pin pci-e connectors
Seasonic SII-620 will not suffice. It doesn't have enough connectors. Go for Seasonic M12II-650 650 Watts PSU. It will serve your needs. Yes, Corsair TX 750 is overkill, and it's non-modular. I'm not sure about the quality of the new TX series. Seasonic is the safest option.

• Tough choice. The differences are 2MB in L2 cache, 500 Mhz, 2 extra cores.
  • The 2 extra cores are not something you should pay for
  • The cache will only give a marginal bump in performance in most games
  • The bump in clock speed won't make much of difference in most games but it will matter quite a bit in CPU limited games
  • The 8350 will have more overclocking headroom
The ideal option for you would have been a AMD FX-6350 but I think that's not available in India yet.

I think you should stick to AMD FX-6300 and consider some entry level overclocking.

I would recommend you to go for the AMD FX-6300 and a decent air cooler for about 2-3k. For air cooler I recommend Noctua NH-U12P SE2 or you could also look at something cheaper like CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO.

The RAM you mentioned is fine.

I haven't considered buying an SSD yet so I haven't done any research there. Other members might be able to suggest something.

Also don't forget to install the core-parking hotfixes if you're on windows 7.

Hope this helps

unable to find M5A99Pro Rev 2 locally... Flipkart was offering it moments back, but its gone out of stock...

How is Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 @ 14k in comparison?

Do you see the paradox in your statements? You first said he should get an 8 core FX, then you say in real life situations like gaming, he isn't going to use more than 4 cores - can you make up your mind?
I have already said nobody has claimed "get an i7 to save money in electricity bills".
Only paradox i see is in your comparison.
Read back what you posted while pasting that graph and stop quoting me on things that is published on reviewing sites.BF3 is clearly showing GPU limited in that graph which you posted and what legit-review's posted is this
For load measurements, Prime95′s in-place large FFT’s were run on all cores to make sure each and every processor was at 100% load for maximum power consumption and heat. Curious about real world scenarios, we decided to drop Furmark and ran 3DMark 11 on the performance preset and took the maximum power consumption during the first GPU test.
Read more at http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-fx-...-processor-review_2055/13#hD8TCMHCfzgKtg7E.99
Now read carefully and clearly , don't quote me on this and have good read about words in RED font's.

First it was you was crying loud saying " i did not suggested i7 to save money or power bill's " then it's no body suggested i7. Look back at my initial post where power consumption for daily computing was posted with 25-30W more that i7 ( i7 was suggested seeing future needs hence compare it with i7 was done not i5) which was quickly quoted by Intel fanboy's with weird validation's of synthetic world results yet i said it was not suggested by you but you seem to be in no mood to read or understand what is posted to favor AMD over Intel.
Get over it Eddy....i have both system and i know no one can differentiate difference between this two on basis of power bills or gaming which suits AMD Fx line which original poster demands from his new rig.Plus OP is not going to use 24/7 super clocked FX @5Ghz for weeks/months to have electricity dominating his buying choice limited by budget of having solid gaming rig.

AMD FX-6300 / FX-8350 (help me decide... I don't want to invest too heavily on a CPU which may only give a marginal upside) Get 8320 over 8350 as former is priced under 10K on flipkart and locally @9.5K
ASUS Sabertooth FX / M5A99FX Pro Rev2.... Tilting more towards to M5A99, because of its VFM nature..Sabertooth is best but 990Fx pro is VFM and i am using it without a sweat with 8350@4.7.If you are in Delhi or NCR then Vipin imports @ NP has it for 10.5K rs.
Radeon 7870 / 7950 (trying to get this from the US... the price difference is huge!) - any comments? 7950 eyes closed or if 7970 :D but if buying from India then 760 due to price.Get single big card over two little less powerful cards in SLI/CF configurations due to heat/power.
Corsair TX - 750 (is this an overkill? I may crossfire in the future, and will have atleast 2 HDDs). The other option here is Seasonic SII-620, but i doubt it will suffice. 620W is enough for OC'd FX with single 7950/70 but not for CF due to less connector's.Using same PSU and it's silent.

One final thing... If i decide to splurge on a SSD (min 120 gigs), any suggestions? Samsung 840's been recommended at plenty of places, but the reviews don't justify it... Samsung EVO if you can find locally or 840 both will be fast and you will love it.

Cheerio!

unable to find M5A99Pro Rev 2 locally... Flipkart was offering it moments back, but its gone out of stock...

How is Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 @ 14k in comparison?

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5-
It's a good board. It has more power phases - 8+2 compared to the Asus M5A99Pro Rev 2 6+2 which means you should get more stablility on overclocks and it has better onboard audio.

The advantage with the ASUS board is that the BIOS interface is way better.

I still recommend you get the M5A99Pro Rev 2 because it offers more VFM, it has all the features you'll need.

Have you tried looking for it anywhere besides Flipkart? Shouldn't be hard to find, it's a very popular board.

[OT]

what legit-review's posted is this
Curious about real world scenarios, we decided to drop Furmark and ran 3DMark 11 on the performance preset and took the maximum power consumption during the first GPU test.
Read more at http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-fx-...-processor-review_2055/13#hD8TCMHCfzgKtg7E.99
Now read carefully and clearly , don't quote me on this and have good read about words in RED font's.
So legitreviews say they tested 3DMark 11 and the graph says BF3?! Are they testing 3DMark 11 or BF3?
And just to be clear, you first linked me to this graph saying it has a "real world" gaming benchmark like BF3. Now you're changing your tune and showing me the same graph and saying a synthetic test like 3dmark should be used for CPU power consumption tests?

sdtsPXC.gif

Look back at my initial post where power consumption for daily computing was posted with 25-30W more that i7
I read all your posts, there is not a single graph from you showing a difference of 25-30W between FX 8xxx and i7 4xxx.

( i7 was suggested seeing future needs hence compare it with i7 was done not i5)
Accusing others of not reading, but doing the same yourself. The review title says i5 4670K review, but they have also included i7 4770k for power consumption. Oh but its absolutely ok for you to link us to a review that doesn't have a single haswell processor or haswell chipset?

BF3 is clearly showing GPU limited in that graph which you posted
which was quickly quoted by Intel fanboy's with weird validation's of synthetic world results yet i said it was not suggested by you but you seem to be in no mood to read or understand what is posted to favor AMD over Intel.
Woah buddy, you were the one who said BF3 was a real world benchmark for CPU load tests, now you agree it is GPU limited? Why exactly are you referencing it as a real world "CPU load test" when it loads the CPU by only half? Pick a real world condition that uses 8 cores, or else justify why you are recommending an 8 core processor if real world conditions are not going to use 8 cores.

[/OT]

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5-
It's a good board. It has more power phases - 8+2 compared to the Asus M5A99Pro Rev 2 6+2 which means you should get more stablility on overclocks and it has better onboard audio.

The advantage with the ASUS board is that the BIOS interface is way better.

I still recommend you get the M5A99Pro Rev 2 because it offers more VFM, it has all the features you'll need.

Have you tried looking for it anywhere besides Flipkart? Shouldn't be hard to find, it's a very popular board.

Tried looking for it at lots of places, and incidentally, got in touch with a good ol' friend of mine at the distributor. Bad news is that he says there is no chance of availability before 15th Nov :(

The good news is that I got a really sweet deal on a Gigabyte UD - 5 @ 13.5k, so got that :)

Here's what I've got so far:-

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5 @ 13.5k
AMD FX-8320 @ 9.2k (price for fx-6300 went up at the last moment :p)
G-Skill Ripjaws 8 GB 1600 @5.9k
Seasonic M12II 650 PSU @6.5k (could hav got a better deal on this, i guess)

Total @ 35k

Will continue using a CM Hyper TX-3 for cooling as of now. If temps do not settle down as expected, then will get a better aftermarket cooler. I've read in several reviews that TX-3 is okay for mild overclocking, so hoping for the best!

Planning to get a 7870 GHz / 7950 from US @ 12-15k to complete the build... I've also decided to go for a monitor upgrade (1600 x 900 just doesnt cut it anymore ;) - any suggestions? (within 8k)

Last edited:
@agefreak Build is looking good so far.

Your budget is pretty tight for the monitor.

You currently have a 20inch 1600x900, right? At that budget range, you should be looking to buy 22inch monitors TN panels which run at 1920x1080.

I use Dell ST2220L. I purchased it for 8.5-9k. It's not that bad. It's the best you can get at that range.

You can also check out Samsung and BenQ monitors in the same range. BenQ might be slightly cheaper.

I've also decided to go for a monitor upgrade (1600 x 900 just doesnt cut it anymore ;) - any suggestions? (within 8k)

Going to sell your current monitor ? If so, assuming it is a 20 inch-er from good brand with warranty, you can add 3.5-4k to your budget of 8k. In 8k though you can get Dell 22 inch-er easily, with budget of approx 13k you can get same model in but 24 inch screen size.

Also what about your other old components ? Have you factored in their resale value in 50k budget ?

Old components will go for about 8k at a fair price (will put them up this weekend)... About my monitor... well, its a 17 incher Viewsonic :oops:, so I doubt I'll get more than 2k for it... :) I had earlier planned to hook up my television with the rig, but wifey's not too happy with the idea :D

Looked up a few models, and finalized Dell S2240L... what do you think?

All that remains is the gfx card, and prices have suddenly gone up at newegg!! maybe i'll wait for the holiday sale...[DOUBLEPOST=1382549894][/DOUBLEPOST]^^ I'm getting this one locally for 8.8k, so the deal looks good..

I'm getting this one locally for 8.8k, so the deal looks good..

At this budget range this display is good, 8.8k is quite decent deal. However you need to purchase a DVI cable for this monitor as its not bundled, mentioned in one of TE thread, IIRC. For GFX card its appear that you need to wait a month more for thanks giving day/holiday season sales.

I think that is for 2240M... I'm planning to use the HDMI input with 2240L... in any case, I have a converter, so that should do the trick..

Old components will go for about 8k at a fair price (will put them up this weekend)... About my monitor... well, its a 17 incher Viewsonic :oops:, so I doubt I'll get more than 2k for it... :) I had earlier planned to hook up my television with the rig, but wifey's not too happy with the idea :D

All that remains is the gfx card, and prices have suddenly gone up at newegg!! maybe i'll wait for the holiday sale...[DOUBLEPOST=1382549894][/DOUBLEPOST]^^ I'm getting this one locally for 8.8k, so the deal looks good..

Dell S2240L looks good. It has an IPS panel, that's better than the usual TN panel monitors you get at this range. The response time is slightly higher - 7ms.

So there will be a little more lag/ghosting for moving images than the standard 5ms panels, but it will still be a lot better than your current monitor so I think it's not an issue.

Back