Car & Bike Gear shift at top RPMs...Good or bad for mileage?

So, i own a Swift(petrol) and usually i have a habit of consuming the best RPM's before i shift the gear. For say like after 50 or when the car actually starts vibrating, the very starting, I shift to third gear.

Now, i think that this thing is affecting the mileage of my car. Whats the proper way to shift so that i can attain a good mileage?

Way for ideal mileage?

0-10 1st

10-20 2nd

20-30 3rd

30-40 4th

40-50 5th

Or similar, its mentioned somewhere in the manual

Thats for Estilo, Swift would be similar probably

You'll get bored driving that way though

The best shift points depend on what car you drive but the general guideline is to get the best fuel economy is to shift just before the engine starts feeling strained.

This typically is the point where the torque curve flattens out. Shifting later will make you go faster but will compromise your economy.

But then honestly if you buy a high revving petrol, who really cares about <acronym title='FunEnclave'>FE</acronym>
<

Shifting at redline is used to attain top speed, it however pushes the engine to its limits and compromises mileage.

See you car's specifications , See the Max torque rpm . Shift 200-300 rpm below the max torque for best mileage and better clutch life. Shift at redline for breaking speed records
<

If you are really using the way you have written it , your clutch plates will take a hit and wont last as long as it should for various reasons .

Well for better mileage you need to make sure that you don't use breaks and gear shifting too much and for doing that you need to drive slow in economy speed like 40 - 60.

See you car's specifications , See the Max torque rpm . Shift 200-300 rpm below the max torque for best mileage and better clutch life. Shift at redline for breaking speed records
<

If you are really using the way you have written it , your clutch plates will take a hit and wont last as long as it should for various reasons .

Actually shifting 200-300 rpm below max torque is okay for diesels or super long stroked petrols but for higher revving petrols, its just too high an rpm to shift at.

Eg: My Cedia's peak torque is at 4250 rpm. So according to this theory, I should be shifting at 4000 rpm - 4000rpm in this car in 5th is like 160 kph
<

The ideal rpm for most petrols varies between 2000-2500 where the torque curve flattens out

Actually shifting 200-300 rpm below max torque is okay for diesels or super long stroked petrols but for higher revving petrols, its just too high an rpm to shift at.

Eg: My Cedia's peak torque is at 4250 rpm. So according to this theory, I should be shifting at 4000 rpm - 4000rpm in this car in 5th is like 160 kph
<

The ideal rpm for most petrols varies between 2000-2500 where the torque curve flattens out

Well yeah I have read of diesels a lot
<
, you've have a petrol so you cant be wrong .

But the questions is then how can someone know where the torque curve is flat where ? ,

Its different for different cars right ? . Some flatten out at higher rpms and some at mid .

Well yeah I have read of diesels a lot
<
, you've have a petrol so you cant be wrong .

But the questions is then how can someone know where the torque curve is flat where ? ,

Its different for different cars right ? . Some flatten out at higher rpms and some at mid .

You can figure it out from the engine note once you drive enough what the correct shift point is for maximum <acronym title='FunEnclave'>FE</acronym>. Even a tacho is not required The engine should not be lugged nor should the engine feel out of breath.

You can figure it out from the engine note once you drive enough what the correct shift point is for maximum <acronym title='FunEnclave'>FE</acronym>. Even a tacho is not required The engine should not be lugged nor should the engine feel out of breath.

Yea agreed , once one gets used to he can understand .

there is no general rpm value.

1. Find out dyno chart for your specific vehicle.

2. Study the area where the torque starts to get constant.

3. The Curve will be steep just before that flat region. This steep region is known as the Power Band.

4. Your vehicle will provide you maximum through-output in this band.

5. Plan your shifts in this range and you will have best of all worlds.

Back