Car & Bike Gearless Scooter thread

swatkats

Skilled
Post your queries, Feedback and reviews of gearless scooters here.

My queries:

- When do you usually change Air filter in Gearless scooters?
- Did you notice any difference if you have used/use HIGH OCTANE petrol like Xtrapremium,Speed etc?

1. I would say if you live in a place without a significant amount of dust then replacing the filter once a year or once in two years should be more than enough, and that too only if you see the scooter struggling.

2. You will not get any significant benefit from a high octane fuel with a small capacity scooter that was made for India. If you imported a Burgman 650 or something then you would possibly see a benefit.

Honda service center guys advised me not to use high octane fuel. Says It'l make a mess.

Anyways i've some suggestions from my earlier experiences.

- Never use Self-start unless very urgent. Use kick start in the morning
- Never Self-start vehicle with your head lights on.. Would put reduce battery efficiency

- Maintain tyres pressure as recommended by manufacturer or else you will see the thread loss and ultimately will loosen the head light fibre part eventually.
- Change oil every 2000 kilometers.
- Charge battery without fail before the start of the winters
- Get the clutch cleaned for every 2k kilometers or else you will notice the vehicle jerk problem
- Change the Air filter every 5-6k kilometers.

Last edited:
That's nowhere close to being true, he might be confusing high octane fuel with the "premium" fuels that have additives.
High octane fuel at worst will perform exactly as the normal fuel. The premium fuels with additives could in theory hurt the engine, but in my experience, they are 99% placebo effect. I would wager most cases of premium fuels harming engine is due to lack of regular maintenance by the user itself and not the fuel.

All this of course assumes that you are filling fuel from a reliable bunk.

Okay here is my mine.
Honda Activa 3G
I bought a new Honda Activa 3G model a few months ago. I paid (well it was my mother's money :D) 65-65k for the vehicle, insurance, registration and accessory ie. side bumper. My original choices were 1. TVS Jupiter and 2. Honda Dio (latest model). My cousin has the Jupiter. Test drive was good. And i loved the new design of the Dio. Heck I even have it as my pc background wallpaper. :D
Anyway some things which i was not aware of when before it was purchased: there is a very noisy sound which comes from near the front tyre. A metal plate banging against similar plate. I didn't bother reading the reviews (buying it was not my idea) nor was I told about it by the salespeople (yes a stupid newbie mistake i know). You can hear this annoying sound when you go at over 45-50km. I complained it to the service center who told me that it was a company defect and that they cannot do anything about it. I didn't want to pursue it farther. You cant get anything done in a third class state.
There is also some problem with closing the seat locker. It doesn't get locked in properly. I had to do it multiple times, literally beat the seat to exert enough force. I always forget to take it for service because of hectic schedule. I'll try to take it for repairs in the next few days. Also 80% of the time i filled it with Xtra Premium. Now that i think about it, in these shitty roads i doubt that it will help. Will go for normal petrol next time.
Now as to why this piece of filth was purchased: it was my dad's idea. Yep. (To be continued :p)

I had already made up my mind to get the Jupiter.
A known friend of a relative who deals in sales told me that he could give it to me for 61k (63k elsewhere) everything paid for but it wasn't in stock and to come back after a few days. Dad was hellbent on getting it that day itself. I told him that i could wait but he said No. Also said some bs about TVS vehicle products and added that Honda was better because of the easy availability of spares. Also said that 60k was too high and since we had limited budget we should look at another option. Now he suggested the Scooty (TVS btw) and I was like "dude R U SERIOUS?". I told him we could get the Dio and save about 5k on it. Again he disagreed. I finally told him to just buy whatever the hell he wants. A Honda Activa 3G was finally bought. Paid 58k for the bare vehicle. Extra 7-8k for other materials. Said Jupiter costs too high. Buys an Activa. Lel.
We had a family drama that day.
So whatever happens to the Activa is not my fault. Any problem it gives/will give in the future will not be my fault. I wash my hands off it. I have no part in it.
Buying the Activa is one of the worst purchases that i've ever made.
PS: We also have the first model Activa bought many years ago. Its dying and need constant repairs.
PS2: We currently have 3 Honda Activas at home right now, with my aunt's in Delhi its 4.

Last edited:
btw i own a Suzuki swish 125CC past 2 year which i have done 20k km and not even single problem which i get aveg 35-45 mileage depend on high speed

just to change engine oil and few thing

btw i got some accident 1 month a ago where the auto was doing rash driving and the handling was little vibration at 50-60 speed after gave to local mechanical that it has been solve it no issue

p.s even i got stuck by Chennai flood as my scooter is run flawless no issue which i did clean the scooter and already change the oil which it run smooth cause it was irrigate too much rain on dec 1-2

Activa 3G sales are way higher than 2nd generation with no proper competitor out there.

hihS9Ql.jpg

6aksW5D.png

I had this rear shock absorber problem, While driving with a pillion rider the shocks used to literally touch the silencer. This happened from the 3rd month of purchase. I thought probably the shocks have gone bad and they need to be replaced. Took it to the SC, Guy told nothing like that will happen that within 2-3 years. Changed a small rubber grip underneath the rear shocks and the problems solved.

Have drove the 1st generation activa for nearly 8 years, I am kinda used to maintain it in a good condition.

Activa 3G sales are way higher than 2nd generation with no proper competitor out there.
Nothing new. Indians love Activa since its introduction. The fact about easy availability of the parts is true.
Also the first gen Activa was really good. My dad just didn't take care of it properly. And workshop people made a mess out of the parts. He must've spent over a good 50-60 grand on repairs alone. Told him to sell it off but nope.

Fascino sales is higher than i thought it would be and Jupiter much lower than expected. Design problem?
Btw what's so great about Vespas? The 90k (local price) model offers a good ride but other than that i dont know.
Dio is good for a single rider. Two riders will be a problem. Its not as strong as Activa. Heavy pillon rider will be a torture. Also much lighter with weaker build. In terms of appearance though it owns Activa.

Yep, Vespas are fashion statements, and nothing wrong with that, but the fit and finish feels quite cheap for the price you pay and they are not really all that powerful so it just looks pretty from outside.

I would kill for a 200-250cc touring scooter with a huge boot, a Suzuki Burgman or the like, priced at ~1.5-2L. But at the moment only the Zir and the PCX 150 are the "high" power scooters that are remotely on the horizon.

I was planning to buy a Vespa for my wife, Honda Zir looks a better option including the fashion statement quotient. Bit confused right now. Zir seems to be delayed till March not sure.
Any suggestions for good scooters upto 90k? Else I'll go with Vespa.

I have an ooooold activa (first one). Did some 15k worth of repairs last month, still walked out with the problem I walked in with. The damn self start doesnt work half the time I turn it on. Like nothing happens when you press the button. Sometimes when I press the horn and The ignition at the same time, it picks up. Imbeciles cant figure it out. Changed the button too. Im thinking it might be the vehicle key switch probably. But the horn works all the time. I even got the whole wiring changed, new battery, new tires, changed clutch, gear and all other shit too too. Still the same problem. Fcuking insane.

^at 2L i'd rather get a bike! >_>
Budget of 1L plus isn't a issue, it's for my wife, I need a scooter.
I have an ooooold activa (first one). Did some 15k worth of repairs last month, still walked out with the problem I walked in with. The damn self start doesnt work half the time I turn it on. Like nothing happens when you press the button. Sometimes when I press the horn and The ignition at the same time, it picks up. Imbeciles cant figure it out. Changed the button too. Im thinking it might be the vehicle key switch probably. But the horn works all the time. I even got the whole wiring changed, new battery, new tires, changed clutch, gear and all other shit too too. Still the same problem. Fcuking insane.
There are similar service stories about Activa, since it's a popular scooter service centre issues will be proportionately more.

^ Bought an Activa in 2006 for 45k.
Don't remember how much i spent until 2013 but last 2 years i shell out around 20k. Sold it.

I know a uncle who has this same model bought in same year.. Still in mint condition, No scratches. Only goes for servicing.. every 3 months or so. He drove some 40k kms while i drove 62k before selling it. Driving matters.

I was planning to buy a Vespa for my wife, Honda Zir looks a better option including the fashion statement quotient. Bit confused right now. Zir seems to be delayed till March not sure.
Any suggestions for good scooters upto 90k? Else I'll go with Vespa.
I was surprised about Honda bringing a new Gearless scooter. Later realized its Hero.

Back