German professor apologises after denying internship citing 'India's rape problem'

It is funny that we don't acknowledge the underlying problem.

This "we" that we talk about are not actually urban guys like us who hang around on TE or at CCDs. They are the third class citizens with depraved mentality and living in third class conditions. The truth is, we don't even know what kind of conditioning they have had and what kind of sick thoughts they harbor. I can confidently say that us urban class are far more sophisticated, kind and thoughtful and would never think of perpetrating such a heinous act.

The real problem is at the uneducated people level. Someone among them needs to make them educated and kind towards all mankind, not just women. Unfortunately, there will always be this divide and I cant see our country changing in the next 100 years

There's been a good deal of change in our reactions to crime against women after the barbaric Delhi rape.
Nationwide awareness has improved, and most importantly all law enforcement agencies are taking them seriously.
Change in patriarchal mindset would take a generations . It took a lot of time in the West too. We're a younger democracy and comparatively poorer democracy. So it'll take time but we're progressing slowly but steadily.
It's pessimistic to think that nothing has changed and nothing will change.
Thanks to the digital age ; change generations is faster. Nowadays generational thinking lasts for 5yrs at the max, in urban India.

Now the divide of two India's ; one progressive, realistic, ready to embrace a positive change and other continues to be sick and adamant. They're going to coexist for long but with economic growth and improved literacy, Internet access the size of regressive India is shrinking even in rural sector too.

In a way the Delhi rape (my SwiftKey auto suggests RAPE whenever I type Delhi !) was a nationwide phenomenon, unheard of something similar worldwide. The whole nation stood with a victim, prayed for her wellbeing and strictest of the punishment to the rapists. This itself says that not every Indian male is of rapist mentality, not even the majority of men are. This is a pessimistic way of thinking.

In a dynamic situation like this, someone denying a admission to a German training program, on the pretext of branding every Indian male as potential rapist is condemnable. And German ambassador has rightly condemned her, followed by a genuine apology. It's shameful that we don't have a respect to our system as much as German ambassador has.

If the rapists were Indian ; people who protested against a barbaric crime in a historic manner, faced arrests, faced water cannons, bought the culprits to justice were Indian too. Please acknowledge that too.

^^ There were media reports stating that rapes have actually increased post the Nirbhaya case.

If anything, Nirbhaya case increased awareness about the weak and nonsensical laws in our country and that even despite heinous crimes, culprits can potentially get away with little punishment. Post the Nirbhaya case, there were a massive increase in rapes by minors aged between 15 and 18 years. There are also number of rapes by majors aged 18 to 25 who tried to produce fake birth certificates to prove that they are minors so that they cannot be tried as adults.

On top of that, the weak and flawed amendments to the laws that were brought in despite such a crime was further responsible for emboldening potential culprits of such crimes.

As for acknowledging people who protested on roads, don't even get me started on that. I have seen first hand how and why youth in our country carry out protests. When I was doing my engg, in one of the junior colleges in the city which shares its management with our egg college, a girl (11th standard) was murdered by a one sided spurned lover who brought a knife to the class room and repeatedly stabbed her. There were massive protects and rallies held for her sake by students of our college as well as several others and let me tell you that none of them who participated gave a damn about the girl. All that they wanted was bunking classes and the opportunity to revel in vandalism and in general create ruckus in the city.

The culpirt in that was caught later and after nearly two years of the case running with little coming out in the media, a news item came out that the guy was killed in an encounter with the police after he tried to escape. It was a clear to everyone that the encounter was fake and the police who apparently cared enough about the case took care of him because it was likely that he would get away with little to no punishment in the courts. When police who cared enough about the case have to take the law into their hands to make sure that the culprit does not get away, that shows how bad the situation is.

Much of the protests for Nirbhaya were not that much different from the above. There were also parties like AAP who were mixing in their volunteers in the protects to incite trouble in order to get political mileage at the time. Most of those so called protesters don't really give a damn.

If all those people really cared, they would be out protesting the ban on the Nirbhaya documentary.

Do you know that one of the female reporters who was covering the case and general issue of safely for women in the city was victim of a molestation attempt on camera. There was also a rapes at couple of colleges even while the students there were involved in protests.

There is nothing to be proud about here. Not every Indian is a rapist, but there is sufficient amount of backward thinking, gender discrimination and number of gender biased crimes in our country for anybody to be fearful of Indians at large. The outdated and weak laws encourage this sort of mentality and behaviour even more. Even though the lower courts try to sentence the culprits, our higher courts seems to look for excuses to go easy on the culprits.

Here are some choice examples of cases with exemplary justice which all appeared on timesofindia.com in last few years.

A guy who raped and killed mother and daughter by stabbing one over 20 times and the other over 50 times and then bragged about it to his friends for two days before being caught had his sentence reduced at the high court because they determined that he was drunk during the act.

A guy brutally raped a 60 year old woman who apparently treated him as a son. She died during the act, but our courts decided to let the man go scot free without any punishment at all because they determined that he was drunk at the time.

A 6 year old village girl was raped twice by her step grand father who was over 60 year old. He was ordered to pay a compensation of 500 Rupees and let go. This is partly because the family itself were not cooperative for the case although it was the mother of the girl that lodged it. No NGO and rights activist gave a damn about the case or its outcome.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...saulted-in-Ahmedabad/articleshow/46551294.cms

She did not wear revealing clothes. She was not out with her boyfriend at an ungodly hour. She did not board a bus. She is not 23. So when her illiterate mother asks us 'What did he see in my daughter to rape her?', Mirror has no answer. She is only six. She was playing with her brothers outside her temporary shed, adjacent to the construction site where her father worked. Her family was happy to be living here because it was not always that her father, a daily wage labourer, got work. Since a commercial complex was coming up near Thaltej, her father was called to work every day.

The six-year-old is the only daughter in the family. Her older brother is seven. She has three brothers, the youngest being just five-months old. None of the kids go to school. They rarely have a full meal. "We hardly have any food. We go to bed hungry when my husband does not get majoori kaam. The school sounds good, but where is the money," her mother asks. And then, with tears welling up in her tired eyes, she asks a pointed question, "You all are learned people. Can you tell me why he did that to a child?"

WHERE IS YOUR ANGER, AHMEDABAD?
We will call her baby Nirbhaya, hoping the name shakes up the sleeping consciousness of our society, which even four days after the incident, has not bothered to make noise. On Friday, March 6, around 11.15 am, baby Nirbhaya came to her mother crying. Her frock was soaked in blood. "She was in terrible pain and would not stop crying. She pointed her fingers at the site's security guard who was standing a few feet away from us. She told me, 'he did it' and I understood," her mother told this newspaper. The illiterate mother called up her husband and they rushed the child to Sola Civil Hospital. By then even the cops had reached the spot. Later, in the night, the doctors referred her to Ahmedabad Civil Hospital and she was shifted there. Investigation revealed horrific details, the kind that we last heard when the Nirbhaya case was first reported.

'12 MM IRON ROD INSERTED INTO HER'
The security guard, 20-year-old Kaushal Chauhan, in an act of perversion, inserted a 12 mm-thick four and-a-half-fott rod into the girl. He claimed he was drunk. Kaushal is not voluble like Delhi rape accused Mukesh Singh. He is a regular boy with no criminal history, always helpful to his neighbours. He ran a panipuri laari, but took up the guard's job through a local agency after his business bombed. Ahmedabad police now has his confession. He has reportedly told them that he is the one who did it because he "just felt like doing it". According to the police, Kaushal took her to the basement of the under-construction complex and inserted the iron rod in her vagina.

TORN RECTUM, DAMAGE TO INTERNAL ORGANS
With third degree perennial tear, serious rectum and vaginal injuries, the damage to internal organs is beyond shocking. Her haemoglobin level has dropped to 3 due to acute blood loss. The doctors performed a three-hour operation on baby Nirbhaya. While they have tried to stitch her organs up, internal lacerations and serious harm to the genitalia has forced them to surgically open her intestine to let her pass urine and stool. A senior doctor confirmed to Mirror that even after surgery there are chances of her condition getting worse. "We fear rupturing. Her intestines have been surgically opened through the left side of her lower abdomen so that she can pass urine and stool."

'MY SON IS INNOCENT'
Kaushal's mother Sunitadevi says her son is innocent and is being framed. When told that he had confessed to his crime, she said, "It is not possible. This is a conspiracy." She also adds, "My son was drunk at that time. So, he has been framed." She does outrage about the assault on the child though, but in the same breath insists her son could have never done it. "It is very wrong, but my son has not done it." Kaushal's neighbours at Ajanta Ellora Housing Society in Thaltej vouch for his character. "He is a very straightforward guy who respects women," says a neighbour.

BLOOD COVERS 19 CM OF THE IRON ROD: FSL
But his confession and the bloodstained iron rod contradicts these claims. The cops sent the rod to the forensic science laboratory for examination. The FSL experts found blood stains till 19 cm of the road, suggesting that it was thrust with a lot of force into the girl. Baby Nirbhaya, who was battling for her life on Friday, is out of danger. But the pain makes it impossible for her to sleep for more than a few minutes. She wakes up with a jerk and lets out a scream as though she lived the nightmare again. This happens quite often throughout the day. When she sees her mother sitting next to her, trying to put her five-month-old brother to sleep, she feels better. A patient has been generous enough to give her mother a green dupatta, which she has tied on to the legs of two adjacent cots, to cradle her son. But nobody visits them. Even as a host of organisations celebrated Women's Day and Girl Safety Week, not a single non-governmental organisation has to come to the aid of Baby Nirbhaya or her mother since Friday. Ironically, Gujarat has the highest number of NGOs registered in the country. And, not to forget, Ahmedabad is perceived as one of the safest cities in the country for women. Baby Nirbhaya's alcoholic father, too, was banned from the hospital premises after he entered the ward in an inebriated state and abused the staff. "I need help, but don't give me any money. I will be forced to give it away to my husband," she pleads.

DOCS LOOKING AFTER MOTHER, KIDS
An efficient and a caring team of doctors is all Baby Nirbhaya and her mother has. Dr Rakesh Joshi, head of paediatric surgery, assistant professors Dr Mitesh Bachani and Dr Amrita Patel, assistant professor and gynaecology department's head of the unit Dr Tejas Patel are the ones looking after them. They are the ones going out of the way to ensure the mother and her children don't go without food. The victim's brothers have found playmates here. And now they even get to drink milk at the hospital, a luxury which they could not afford at home. "She has no home as such. A protective sigmoid colostomy has been performed on her. Even if she leaves the hospital after three weeks, we are scared that she may develop infection. She will need a closure colostomy to ensure natural urine flow after two months," said a doctor. There are injuries near her ovary which are likely to manifest as Baby Nirbhaya grows up. But what damage it can cause, the doctors cannot say at this point of time.

'I ONLY WANT HER TO GET WELL SOON'
Civil Hospital 's medical superintendent Dr M M Prabhakar who has ensured that Baby Nirbhaya gets the best treatment told Mirror that State Women Commision has also approached the hospital and offered help. Meanwhile, punishment for the accused is not even on the mind of Baby Nirbhaya's mother. "I do not know what the punishment is for such a crime and I am not even thinking about it right now. I thought such things happened only to older women. My girl is just six. I only want her to get well soon." "The statement of the victim's mother was taken in the presence of Mahila Sangathan. Kaushal is the only accused in the case. So, we have arrested him," said A division officer B Z Patel.

NOTABLE QUOTES
Meanwhile, NGOs that had crusaded against the Delhi rape, seem to be reeling under compassion fatigue, already. Asked why no protest rallies for this brutal rape case, some of them had standard, pre-rehearsed, heard-this-before kind of responses...as if rapes are so common in Indian society that one could only do so much about it.

AWAG recently took out a rally along with 10 other NGOs to protest against rapes taking place across India. So, we are not conducting any other rally to protest against this particular case. We have written applications to various govt authorities to ban TV and print ads that objectify women. - SARABEN BALDIWALA, Ahmedabad Women's Action Group (AWAG)

After this brutal case of rape, we are forming a group of activists to work on spreading awareness among people. Bringing about change in mindsets is required which is possible by discussing the cause of rapes in the country. - GAUTAM THAKER, General Secretary of People's Union for Civil Liberties, Gujarat

We had conducted a protest rally at Lal Darwaza to spread awareness about the abuse against women. Moreover, the accused has been arrested. We have submitted an application to police chief to stop allowing cheap plays at Town Hall. - MEENAKSHI JOSHI, All India Mahila Sanskrutik Sangh

This "we" that we talk about are not actually urban guys like us who hang around on TE or at CCDs. They are the third class citizens with depraved mentality and living in third class conditions. The truth is, we don't even know what kind of conditioning they have had and what kind of sick thoughts they harbor. I can confidently say that us urban class are far more sophisticated, kind and thoughtful and would never think of perpetrating such a heinous act.

The real problem is at the uneducated people level. Someone among them needs to make them educated and kind towards all mankind, not just women. Unfortunately, there will always be this divide and I cant see our country changing in the next 100 years

rape is a predatory instinct prevalent among all mammals and has nothing to do with education or sophistication or class.

rape is a predatory instinct prevalent among all mammals and has nothing to do with education or sophistication or class.

Let me correct that for you

Reproduction is a base survival and continuity instinct prevalent along all animals.

Human race is egoistic enough to place itself far above the other general fare of animal races by saying that we are the pinnacle of evolution. The only sorry justification that humans have towards the question of whether we are at least an incremental step in evolution is the claim that humans can suppress their base animal instincts when required and can think and act beyond them. That is how humans justify valuing a humans life over that of any other animal. Humans create a set of rules to follow when living in a society . This is the basis of what we call as civilization. People who let their base instincts dominate and behave like animals are termed as uncivilized and called barbarians and over the course of history, they have been treated as animals than humans.

The act of rape itself is treated as a crime in most so called civilizations even as a mere act of base survival instinct of reproduction and continuity, but more importantly, what is really going on in the name of rape at least especially in this country is not at all the base instinct of reproduction in action. Why are 2 year old babies getting raped? What base instinct drives a man to mess up a girls innards with an metal rod? It is an expression of pure cruelty and depravity that is beyond any animal and their its instincts. As weird as the mating rituals of various animals maybe, no animal out there behaves like these humans are doing in the name of having fun or just because they can.

So no, this is not a natural base instinct that you are trying to portray it as. The necessity of the day is that anytime the thought of rape comes to mind, it should be immediately get replaced with a base instinct of absolute and pure fear and terror. This crime is happening because the culprits have no fear of consequences. Give people sufficient consequences and they will not be doing it just because they can.

This "we" that we talk about are not actually urban guys like us who hang around on TE or at CCDs.

You will be surprised to know that even some middle-class/rich people are very narrow minded and have improper mindset. They are also educated. I personally know a few of them. Them not breeding is the only solution which I can think of.

You will be surprised to know that even some middle-class/rich people are very narrow minded and have improper mindset. They are also educated. I personally know a few of them. Them not breeding is the only solution which I can think of.

There is not much difference between the urban and rural folks mindset. Aspects like casteism, social shunning are clear examples of this. Women are just as much molested and ill-treated in cities as compared to villages. In villages it is the wolf-pack ideology and in cities it is similar to a monkey throwing bananas.

There is not much difference between the urban and rural folks mindset. Aspects like casteism, social shunning are clear examples of this. Women are just as much molested and ill-treated in cities as compared to villages. In villages it is the wolf-pack ideology and in cities it is similar to a monkey throwing bananas.
True. The recent Dimapur incident is one of the proofs.

Back