Android Get Ready to Spend $800/$900 on OnePlus 5G phones in 2019/2020

swatkats

Skilled
OnePlus CEO Pete Lau tells The Verge that his company is working on both the new 5G phone and existing 4G phones in parallel, and that he expects his 5G phone will likely cost $200 to $300 more. “It’s hard to know because there’s a lot of specifics still to look at, but it’s likely in the neighborhood of $200-300 more,” Lau says, via translator.

That might not be the case for all new 5G smartphones, though. “You may see some OEMs try to monetize as much as they can their existing customer base... on the other hand you may see folks try to gain share and use price as one of those tools,” says Qualcomm president Cristiano Amon, in a roundtable interview later in the day. When I corner him later about Lau’s $200-$300 comment, he suggests it’s a little high: “I’ve seen some people being way more aggressive [on price].”

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/5/...iew-qualcomm-snapdragon-855-technology-summit

Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 5G 7nm Mobile Platform announced – Octa-Core Kryo 485 CPUs for 45% improved performance, 20% faster Adreno 640 GPU

Highlights of Qualcomm Snapdragon 855

• 1 x Kryo 485 Prime CPU (A76-based) at up to 2.84GHz, 3 x Kryo 485 Performance CPUs (A76-based) at up to 2.42GHz, 4x Kryo 485 Efficiency CPUs (A55-based) at up to 1.80GHz
  • 7nm (N7) Process Technology
  • Integrated X24 LTE modem with Global Mode
  • Cat 20/13 speeds of up to 2 Gbps down, 7x20MHz carrier aggregation, 256-QAM, 4×4 MIMO on five carriers and 318 Mbps up, 3×20 MHz carrier aggregation, 256-QAM, Uplink Data Compression
  • Multi SIM with support for Dual SIM Dual VoLTE (DSDV) and LTE Dual SIM Dual Standby (DSDS) +LAA
  • Next-generation Calling Services including VoLTE with SRVCC to 3G and 2G, HD and Ultra HD Voice (EVS), and CSFB to 3G and 2G
  • Qualcomm Adreno 640 GPU , Vulkan 1.1, HDR Gaming, and Physically Based Rendering, elite gaming on mobile is achieved
  • Hardware-accelerated H.265 and VP9 decoder, HDR Playback Codec support for HDR10+,, HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision, Volumetric VR video playback, 8K 360 VR video playback
  • Qualcomm Aqstic Audio Technology. Native DSD support, PCM up to
    384 kHz/32-bit, Supports two wake words simultaneously (Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, Baidu, Cortana), Always-on echo cancellation and noise suppression; up to 4 mic far-field mic support for better voice recognition in tough conditions, Qualcomm aptX Adaptive audio technology, Qualcomm TrueWireless™ Stereo Plus technology
  • Up to 20 MP dual camera, Up to 32 MP single camera, Qualcomm Spectra 380 Image Sensor Processor (14-bit dual-ISP), HEIF photo capture, Rec. 2020 color gamut video capture, Up to 10-bit color depth video capture, Slow motion video capture up to 720p at 480fps, HEVC Video Capture, HDR10+, HDR10, HLG support, 4K HDR Video Capture with Portrait Mode
    (Bokeh)
  • Hexagon 690 DSP with 4th Generation Hexagon Vector DSP (HVX) for AI and imaging, Qualcomm Hexagon Vector Accelerator, Qualcomm Hexagon Tensor Accelerator, Qualcomm Hexagon Voice Assistant, Qualcomm All-Ways Aware technology
  • LPDDR4x 2133MHz, 4x16bit memory
  • 802.11ax-ready Multi-gigabit, Integrated 802.11ac 2×2 (2-stream) MU-MIMO, 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 60 GHz, Bluetooth 5, NFC
  • Dual frequency GNSS, GPS, GLONASS, Beidou, Galileo, QZSS, SBAS
  • USB Version 3.1; USB Type-C Support
  • Qualcomm Quick Charge 4+ technology
The Snapdragon 855 Mobile Platform is currently sampling to OEMs and is expected to power devices in the first half of 2019.

Earlier, they were not supporting older devices, but by supporting the OP3/3T for so long, I would say they seem committed. However, the cost increase is not acceptable - especially when they are reusing OPPO/Vivo stuff to a large extent.

lol at paying 900$ for a phone that gets abandoned within 6 months. Hope they upgrade to a 2k screen atleast and match the competition of 2016.
I still don't get why people ask for a 2K screen on a mobile. It is not like you can tell the difference between 1080p and 2K on such a small screen size. o_O I still think 1080p is adequate for a mobile phone, a 2K for a laptop (4K is just a battery hog!), and a 4K display for anything above 18 inches.. You are right about the first part though.. I suspect this will decrease their customer base a little.[DOUBLEPOST=1544110076][/DOUBLEPOST]
From $299 to $900, If that happens Samsung will price Flagships at $1200.
... and Apple at $2000. :D

I still don't get why people ask for a 2K screen on a mobile. It is not like you can tell the difference between 1080p and 2K on such a small screen size. o_O I still think 1080p is adequate for a mobile phone, a 2K for a laptop (4K is just a battery hog!), and a 4K display for anything above 18 inches.. You are right about the first part though.. I suspect this will decrease their customer base a little.[DOUBLEPOST=1544110076][/DOUBLEPOST]
... and Apple at $2000. :D
I can make out fullhd and ultra hd in my samsung galaxy and Most ppl can. 2k is just crisper.

I can make out fullhd and ultra hd in my samsung galaxy and Most ppl can. 2k is just crisper.

Yes, its going to be crisper. But I think point here is, how much more value add it does ? Does one feel FHD completely trash ? Utility of that display justified by worse battery life and added cost ?

Coming back to OnePlus for launching phone at $800-900, they might have to change product placement and/or launch cycles. If they want two products in span of 6 months, they should ideally cater to two different class of audiences. This could be differentiated by pricing; e.g. 1 phone at 900 and another at say their current price point of about 550.

2K makes a difference when its used for VR - like google cardboard, samsung vr, etc. 1080p is supposed to be the minimum for vr since you're looking at the screen through lenses. So a higher density screen will give you better experience.

Yes, its going to be crisper. But I think point here is, how much more value add it does ? Does one feel FHD completely trash ? Utility of that display justified by worse battery life and added cost ?

Coming back to OnePlus for launching phone at $800-900, they might have to change product placement and/or launch cycles. If they want two products in span of 6 months, they should ideally cater to two different class of audiences. This could be differentiated by pricing; e.g. 1 phone at 900 and another at say their current price point of about 550.
I dont think cost is much increased as nowdays cheaper phones also have 2k screens. In my personal use i didn't see any noticeable battery improvement if i run screen on 1080p vs the ultra HD.

Will spend that much amount in upgrading to i9, i7 a good ryzen rig or gpu.

- Snip -

Last edited by a moderator:
ULTRA HD? That is 4K!! Which phone (other than a couple of Xperia's) has a 4K screen? Obviously it will look crisper, on paper it does have more pixels.. But is just that little amount of extra pixels worth the extra drain on battery life? There is a reason why OnePlus stuck with FHD screens for so many generations.. And even now, someone on YouTube made a blind comparison between the XR and PocoPhone displays. What he did was covered every part of the phones that could distinguish it, and played an extremely long video that showcased the displays' strengths and weaknesses.. And did you know what the general public think? They thought the XR was superior to the Pocophone, and some even alleged that the XR had a superior display by pixel count, which was actually hilarious! :p The jump between 720p and 1080p is huge, whereas FHD to 2K not so much.. FHD to 4K is, again, a huge difference..

They thought the XR was superior to the Pocophone, and some even alleged that the XR had a superior display by pixel count, which was actually hilarious! :p

It is superior, after all, its an Apple product. Those pixels are 2x as powerful as the pixels on even the Google Pixel. No wonder some are so pixelated by the XR!

Last edited:
No way oneplus is going to survive selling 900$ phones. Even if samsung launches new phones at $1K, samsung last generations will still sell at 700~900$ price bracket and at that price, I think many people are going to choose samsung over oneplus

Scene might change as Chinese phones are now favoured over others a lot so you never know. Soon it may even happen that Samsung and others selling their phones under 50k and still struggling but these Chinese pricing above 80k and still in profits.

I think what he means to say is that if there was a choice between a Samsung and OnePlus, with everything same, many would still take the OnePlus, because it ages well, compared to Samsung.

Back