Storage Solutions Getting a hard disk better or only an SSD?

I have a terrible old hard disk on my PC and a 250GB SSD. Do I have to change or remove the hard disk? SSD is faster and better so can I keep the PC with only SSD?

I have a terrible old hard disk on my PC and a 250GB SSD. Do I have to change or remove the hard disk? SSD is faster and better so can I keep the PC with only SSD?
SSD any time. but if you need space to store data then a hard disk is the way to go. SSD is to be used only for os drives or a scratch disk. But ultra-rich people do use SSD for storage as well :p

It depends on your requirements and budget. Atleast a bare minimum storage OS SSD is a must these days. You can get an okay quality 250GB 2.5" SATA SSD for around 2500 rupees. You can clone your current HDD to the new SSD or choose reinstall the OS.

You could, but the hard drive shouldn't be an issue since it isn't your primary drive. I recommend getting an ssd to replace it if you can afford it (+really need it)

2TB HDD @ 7200 rpm costs around Rs 5000 vs a 2TB NVMe SSD like WD SN570 (DRAM less) costs around Rs. 21000. SSDs are better for games due to faster loading times or for heavy workloads. So, it is for you to decide on your budget and requirements. Also, if you are getting the SSD for workloads like blender, etc, get a SSD with DRAM. It will improve the lifespan of your SSD. But again SSDs with DRAM cost even more.

SSD any time. but if you need space to store data then a hard disk is the way to go. SSD is to be used only for os drives or a scratch disk. But ultra-rich people do use SSD for storage as well :p
I'm not that rich to use TBs of SSD, LOL... Thanks for the reply!

It depends on your requirements and budget. Atleast a bare minimum storage OS SSD is a must these days. You can get an okay quality 250GB 2.5" SATA SSD for around 2500 rupees. You can clone your current HDD to the new SSD or choose reinstall the OS.
Thanks for the idea, I'll try it out! 250GB is not enough I'll get 500GB!

Moving to SSD and more RAM is the best bang for buck upgrades to an old system, so if its in your budget get SSD.
Yesssssss!
q1) HOw big is the HDD
q2) How much storage are you using on it
If secondary storage required is low enough then SSD else HDD
The HDD is 500GB and SSD is 250GB, HDD is big enough to occupy the space given for it in my 6-year-old cabinet! I'm also changing my Cabinet so no more HDD!
2TB HDD @ 7200 rpm costs around Rs 5000 vs a 2TB NVMe SSD like WD SN570 (DRAM less) costs around Rs. 21000. SSDs are better for games due to faster loading times or for heavy workloads. So, it is for you to decide on your budget and requirements. Also, if you are getting the SSD for workloads like blender, etc, get a SSD with DRAM. It will improve the lifespan of your SSD. But again SSDs with DRAM cost even more.
Damn, everything is so costly nowadays I'm not going to store any files or movies which are more than 1 year old, only a few favorites in my collection which occupy 50GB! So 500GB SSD is better for gaming and storing these movies, right?

Last edited:
If budget is limiting, then I would not recommend to store games and movies on SSD.

Keep OS and programs on SSD, few frequently played games also, everything else goes on HDD.

You won't get any benefit (other than reduced copy time) from storing movies on SSD. Games also don't show very drastic load time improvement on SSD, although it is noticeably fast. You can very easily do with storing movies and some less played games on a HDD. Why do you want to get rid of the HDDs ?

If budget is limiting, then I would not recommend to store games and movies on SSD.

Keep OS and programs on SSD, few frequently played games also, everything else goes on HDD.

You won't get any benefit (other than reduced copy time) from storing movies on SSD. Games also don't show very drastic load time improvement on SSD, although it is noticeably fast. You can very easily do with storing movies and some less played games on a HDD. Why do you want to get rid of the HDDs ?
Oh yeah, I thought about it, storing movies is a waste, and I'll install games in SSD and store them in HDD which I'll get for storage! My HDD is not working properly and is always disconnecting even after changing the SATA cable! Thanks for the reply, I got a 500GB SSD and a 1TB budget HDD for storage!

Back