CPU/Mobo Gigabyte B75M-D3H - USB 3.0 stopped working post OS reinstal

vercetti

Skilled
Hi Guys,

I got a Gigabyte B75M-D3H motherboard 2 days back. I installed the OS in this a this worked perfectly. The USB 3.0 port was working fine after I installed the drivers from the drivers CD.
Due to some issues I had to install the OS again in a different harddrive today and since then the USB 3.0 ports just fail to recognise any drives:(

Steps I have done till now:
1) Uninstalled and re-installed the drivers again and again many times
2) downloaded the drivers from the net
3) Googled my a$$ out.

Observations:
1) both USB 3.0 & 2.0 drives are undetectable as of now
2) USB 2.0 slots work fine
3) Device manager shows Intel(R) USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller tobe working fine:(

help guys...I don't have a clue as to hat is wrong

This MoBO has the Intel Management & Security (for Small business) built-in. Check that and see if the USB drive detection is disabled there.

Have you tried an alternate OS?

How do I check that?

Also, the USB device gets detected in other ports (same usb device)
and other OS? why man...its Windows 7 ultimate - I don't think there a need to

This MoBO has the Intel Management & Security (for Small business) built-in. Check that and see if the USB drive detection is disabled there.

Have you tried an alternate OS?

Why another OS? When things don't work we have to try all possible steps. I had a problem in the past that never got resolved - tried many forums - across the world. No solution.

I have this MoBo and one of the tings that was splashed on the box was this Intel Small Business Advantage thingy - I have not studied the features as I did not have any use for that at my home. Disabling USB drive is one of the most common IT security measures. So that was my first thought.

"Also, the USB device gets detected in other ports (same usb device)" - What slots are OK? Is it that devices like keyboard/mouse are OK but USB 3 only is not OK?

Thanks..

I have done all the below:
Intel Small Business Advantage - Configured to allow all devices
Also, its my home PC so I have not put any security measures

Below are the answers to your questions:
1. Yes, all USB 2.0 slots are working absolutely fine
2. the only issues is with the 2 back USB 2.0 ports

Question @Jambumali
Which OS do u think I should install? U recon Win8? I reallydon't wanna jump to a different OS as USB3.0 was earlier already working

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you go into the BIOS and see the settings for USB ports?

You are the first person on the forum reporting the issue, might take a little time to diagnose and iron out the issues.

For alternate OS try using Linux and see if devices are detected then?

Wishing all on this thread a Happy, Prosperous and Healthy New Year, Cheerio!

@ALPHA17 ...thanks did the BIOS check first thing. I did the below:
Checked all USB controller and support is enabled
Still Did not work so 'Loaded Optimized settings' in BIOS
Did not work - So remved 8 GB from 16GB RAM; the previous time it worked with 8GB RAM
did not work...removed 1 hard drive...Still did not work.

So Finally
  • reinstalled OS
  • Installed all drivers

Aparantly, the USB 3.0 divers takes a little time to load...the last time I installed I restarted the PC immediately so maybe it did nt install the drivers completely:annoyed:
And everytime I uninstalled and reinstalled --nothing really happened (well this is my theory).

Everything works now...Thanks a lot. Got it to wrk after 6 hrs for trouble shooting and Googling

Alright @vercetti glad to know things resolved without too much heartburn will keep this in mind whilst recommending the motherboard. Cheers!

Apart from these teething issues, how is the performance?

performance is awesome... Just great. Installation was a peice of cake.
This is the first time in my life I have actually installed and processor, HSF and put the screws on the mobo and the cabbie.

My heart literally skipped a beat at the time I was pressing the power button on the CPU.

My next task is to make a SPDIF cable for the SPDIF out pin provided in the mother board.
@ALPHA17...and idea how much the cheapest front USB 3.0 panel would cost me?

Apart from these teething issues, how is the performance?

Good to note that things are up & running!

Trust me - the heart does ramp up a little each time you build the kit & are about to press the power button for the first time!

Happy new year!

bumping up this thread, i have the same problem with my mobo. i tried the same steps as the OP. did clean install of OS twice and installed drivers once from the DVD and second from the internet. usb 3.0 is still not working. did notice that everytime i install USB 5.0 drivers i get blue screen and the system restarts. is there something that i might be doing wrong ? please help.
TIA

PC is running windows 7 64 bit, cant really say about blue screen. when the driver gets done installed the screen turns off and blue screen flashes for one second and after that the windows startup repair showsup. all this happens without any input from my end. and windows startup just restore system to previous state.

Go to system properties > advanced > startup and recovery settings, and disable the automatic restart on system failure. That should stop at the bluescreen, allowing you time to take a pic of it.

Can you link us to the drivers you're installing?

Back